1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Ugliest International Sesame Street Muppets

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by MikaelaMuppet, May 5, 2013.

1. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

In your opinion, what International Sesame Street Muppets are the ugliest? Please name the coproduction and if you have a picture, please upload it. If you have a video, then please upload a video.

2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I would say the International Sesame Street Muppets from the 1972 version of Vila Sesamo are the ugliest.
    [​IMG]

First, there's Garibalo, the residential bird of Vila Sesamo. He seems to be a rip-off of the original Big Bird from the American Sesame Street. Gugu, the grouch, seems to have a creepy and ugly face, which would scare little children.
    Heck, is Funga Funga, the red elephant, supposed to be the Brazilian counterpart of Mr. Snuffleupagus?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And last but not least, there's Ze Das Latas, which means "Ze of Cans" in English. He's the robot of Vila Sesamo. Doesn't he look like the CDA from Monsters Inc?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Overall, Vila Sesamo seems to be the ugliest co-production of Sesame Street ever. And please, don't look at any Vila Sesamo pictures or videos before going to sleep. They will give you the chills. :eek:

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ugh.... Gugu. He is the worst looking thing ever associated with Sesame Street ever. I've seen amateur puppeteers with puppets that don't look that bad.

I agree... Vila Sesamo is the ugliest, creepiest Sesame Street co-production ever.

Mr.Penguin and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Sesamstraat's season 1 Muppet designs are a close second for me. The guy who designed them also worked on directing, writing songs, and translating skits for the show, but apparently wasn't so good with this aspect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their designs really hit their stride when the Muppet Workshop stepped in to redesign them in the early '80s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MikaelaMuppet and Mr.Penguin like this.
  5. Drtooth

Tommy looks like a 1960's Teddy Bear. It's actually quite adorable. Pino, however?

Seriously... once they got the Muppet people involved, most of these guys looked much better.

Mr.Penguin likes this.
  6. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

It's the angry-looking eyes that get to me the most.

7. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

I've always liked Pino's "revamped" design-- the original doesn't even look like the same character. The first pic of Tommy looks like something from Mister Rogers.

8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

You have not seen ugly Garibaldo until you've seen THIS pic:

[​IMG]

Everything else, he almost looks kind of like a large blue sea gull, but THIS is like a blue version of the original Big Bird.

AndI agree, those original SESAMSTRAAT Muppets are kind of awful looking.

9. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Gosh those would scare Jareth........they're that bad.

10. Vicki Fraggle

Vicki Fraggle Active Member

Those would scare anybody. Yikes. That blue bird is not as disturbing as the background set.

Mr.Penguin likes this.
  11. D'Snowth

I AM curious about something though... when did Sesame Workshop start allowing other international co-productions to have their own Big Bird? I'm not talking about Abelardo, or Pino, or Minik Kus, or any of those, I mean actually having an actual Big Bird, if by another name? Caroll mentioned specifically in his book that other countries weren't allowed to have Big Bird, with the exception of the Chinese co-production at the time (it was interesting him noting that they had to turn one potential puppeteer for the Chinese Big Bird down because he spoke with a really heavy Shanghai street accent, which was like the equivilant of a Brooklyn accent in America).

MikaelaMuppet and Mr.Penguin like this.
  12. FrackleFan2012

Well, the newer version of Vila Sesamo and the Japanese version of Sesame Street also had their own Big Birds. That's the newer version of Garibaldo.
    [​IMG]

And that's Japan's Big Bird from Sesame Street (Japan).

[​IMG]

Most of the international co-productions of Sesame Street didn't have their own Big Bird. They usually had original Muppets exclusive to the international co-productions like Abelardo, Lola, Samson, Kami, Zeliboba, and Moishe Oofnik.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  13. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I don't think that the Big Birds that you put aren't ugly, but this Big Bird is really ugly. He looks like Cheetos![​IMG]

14. FrackleFan2012

I wasn't meaning that these Big Birds were ugly. It was just to answer D'Snowth's question. That's all.

15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

He's actually decent looking. He could look WAY worse.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  16. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

^^I think it looks like what would've happened if Big Bird had been the Red Bird of Happiness in Follow that Bird.

MikaelaMuppet and CountFan1998 like this.
  17. Drtooth

It's a sort of not that great color, but I agree, not ugly. Hard on the eyes though.

18. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Where did Big Red Bird come from?

19. Drtooth

It's either Portugal or Turkey.

20. D'Snowth

Turkey.

He almost kind of reminds me of an OC I came up with years and years and YEARS ago as a kid: essentially, a red cardinal version of Big Bird named Mac.