1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Ugliest International Sesame Street Muppets

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by MikaelaMuppet, May 5, 2013.

1. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

He could look way worse? What do you mean by that?

2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

He's pretty much Big Bird, just a different color. The quality of the costume build could be way worse. Like it could look like it was a cheap knock off made in someone's garage.

3. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

It's crazy because wasn't there a time when CTW/SW didn't allow other international co-productions to have an exact replica of the Big Bird puppet?

MikaelaMuppet and ElizaSchuyler like this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I said twelve posts ago.

5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Except they technically aren't and have microscopic details different from Big Bird. in fact, they're closer in style to the Journey to Ernie version of Big Bird than the one used most on the show. Not to mention the fact that they aren't the character Big Bird, but rather his "cousins." they did consider new Garibaldo to be blue, just like the original one, but they went with Yellow because he'd look better.

However, that doesn't quite explain the Elmos, Grovers, Cookies, and Ernie and Berts they're starting to let other countries use. It's cool and all, but it really takes away the individual identity of original characters.

SSLFan likes this.
  6. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

I guess that because those characters have become international stars now, it makes sense that the co-productions are using these US characters. That wasn't the case at the beginning.

Compare this to the two co-productions of Barney: the Israeli version had to fight to change the name of Baby Bop to Buba Bon. The South Korean version did have two original characters (Coby the Kowla and Dedeu the Mouse) to replace Scooter and Mrs. Etta, but they couldn't even interact with the main cast.

7. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Where the first international Sesame Street Muppets build by the production crew and then later The Jim Henson workshop made better versions for them later? A lot of the early international characters don't even have that Muppet style but in later years from the late 70s, 80s and 90s they developed looking more like Muppets. It's kind of interesting that some of the classic Sesame Street Muppets are on the other versions of Sesame Street in street scenes like Grover, Ernie and Bert, Elmo and Big Bird.

SuperGzilla12 likes this.
  8. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case. The budget for the US Sesame wasn't very high in those early days... imagine the budgets in these other countries.

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

As per my understanding, the US characters were always a huge hit overseas. Ernie and Bert were huge in Germany and the Netherlands, and released a bunch of albums in both countries. I don't know the exact deal between Sesame Street and international markets, but it seems that every country wanted their own stars to represent their countries. Those are usually the equivalent of the street stories, sometimes inserts. Any non-locally produced segments come from the American show (though, strangely Plaza Sesamo had Canadian segments dubbed). Essentially, the international characters have a sort of hosting role.

I don't know how they twisted the arm of SW, but now the actual US characters have popped up in co-productions (very much so with Ernie and Bert in Germany). The short lived Japanese co-production had a balance between American characters and original ones. Since then, Grover and Elmo popped up in Israel, and Elmo's also in the African one, among others. All in original, specific sketches.

10. mupcollector1

Plus I think the other reason was quality of Jim's work because Jim like many artists strongly felt quality being a priority. There's been stories I've read in Street Gang regarding merchandising and even on Jim's Red Book Blog there was this situation over the milk carton advertisement for Sesame Street with this creepy drawn Big Bird and it took awhile for the Milk Company to stop printing that image on the milk cartons.

11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

With all of the Big Bird clones, I'm sure most kids in other countries were confused about Big Bird's presence in FTB.

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  12. MikaelaMuppet

Gugu is really ugly, but the others are not that bad. I like the red elephant the best.

13. mupcollector1

I noticed in the current international Sesame Street co-productions, some of the main characters are appearing on them now like Elmo, Big Bird and Grover. I was just curious how everyone felt about that. I'm sort of happy that kids from other countries would get to see Grover speaking in their language but at the same time, the classic footage is dubbed anyway. So I really don't have much of an opinion about it. Muppets TV (The Muppet Show that was going to be made in France), completely different story in my opinion.

I used to watch some of the Plaza Sesamo episodes. I've seen the Israel Sesame from a Video I rented from Blockbuster once. I heard the videos are on DVD now, I'd love to get them. I love the Oofnick Goodbye song. The music is good and for some reason. A broken car, outside a city and night with two Grouch's singing a rock song with this weird smoke blasting everywhere cracks me up, it's very entertaining. Was that song only in one video or was that the official ending of the show at the time, was it ever released in audio version? I like Moishe Oofnick.
    . I seen a video online with him and Oscar being interviewed, it looked very recent.

While searching for those clips, I found this. http://www.shalomlife.com/news/1782...oscar-the-grouch-the-face-of-war-preparation/
    Was there going to be another Sesame but the plans got canceled, I remember reading that? I won't get too much into this but basicly all I wanted to say is that I think it's very wonderful that Sesame Workshop are not only educated children in these countries but also being a positive source for emotional nuturing during difficult times. I remember hearing about how somewhere, Sesame Street music was being pirated and used as music torcher. And Christopher Cerf collaborated with Sesame Workshop to create new songs for children in those countries. I think it would be just wonderful if every country had their own co-production of Sesame Street, in a way it seem very harmonious. It's kind of what Fraggle Rock as trying to do in a way right?

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  14. jcnegron

jcnegron Member

Indeed they were confused. Even if the character didn't resemble a bird, like in Mexico, which at the time didn't have a Bird but a Dragon, in the dubbing of FTB they used the local equivalent. I saw that in the Spanish and Portuguese dubs of FTB, who called Big Bird, Abelardo and Garibaldo respectevely.

It's funny how, in the case of all the big birds equivalents, many people, mostly the adults, don't perceive the differences in the characters even if they are, as I said, a complete different animals.
    What people perceive, is the characters height, and given that the costumes have the same mechanism of action, they also tend to move similarly, hence they tend to have the same mannerisms.
    That is the reason why in Mexico, Abelardo has switched names. Abelardo, the original FB puppet, started as a dragon. When The Dragon was replaced by "Serapio Montoya", the Parrot, adults kept calling him Abelardo. Even thought it was a different animal, had a totally different color scheme, it was manipulated by a different actor, and had a completely different personality, adults kept seeing the same character. So eventually "Serapio Montoya" was renamed "Abelardo" once more. And appears that many people never noticed the switch.

15. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think Sesamstraat also got around the confusion, because American merchandising with our yellow Big Bird would pop up in the Netherlands, yet he would be labeled as Pino, which had people wondering how could Pino be blue and yellow at the same time... I believe, if I'm not mistaken, the people behind Sesamstraat got around the confusion by later saying that the yellow bird was Pino's "Cousin John".

16. Eziwolf

Eziwolf Member

Samson from Sesamstrasse is pretty ugly too, in my opinion:
    [​IMG]

I mean...the SST bears and the Canadian Basil muppets look great, but is this really a bear? :o

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  17. MikaelaMuppet

I agree. It does not look like a bear.

18. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I believe Samson looks like a hedgehog or porcupine rather than a bear.

19. MikaelaMuppet

He's ugly too.

20. Eziwolf

Eziwolf Member

I'm watching Sesamstrasse right now on TV, when moving Samson looks a bit better, but as a bear he's still really weird.