UK: New puppet chat show by BBC and Henson

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
from BBC:
BBC working with Muppets creators on puppet chat show

The BBC is working with the production company behind The Muppets to create a Saturday teatime chat show to be fronted by a new puppet.

A BBC spokesman said they were looking for "a warm, funny, cheeky, Saturday night host".
A pilot episode of the show - working title No Strings Attached - is to be created with The Jim Henson Company.

The BBC said it was "early doors" but it had "high hopes" for the project. A series could appear on BBC One in 2013.

BBC executive editor for entertainment, Karl Warner, said the show would be "firmly anchored in the world of the chat show".

Once The Jim Henson Company has created a series of new puppets for the project, which could also feature sketches and games, a non-broadcast pilot will be made.
Continue reading the main story

“The film sort of ends with a half-hour new Muppet Show, which proves we can do it. And so I would love to think we would give it a shot at some point in the future”

The Muppets director James Bobin onthe possible return of The Muppet Show

"The Muppets were a massive phenomenon and nobody seems to have been developing anything in this area for a long time," said Warner.

He added that the Jim Henson company had "shown us some puppets and their versatility is very exciting".

Walt Disney bought the rights to the Muppet Show characters in 2004.
Muppet return

Meanwhile, a sequel to film The Muppets is to be made after a deal was struck between its director James Bobin and co-writer Nicholas Stoller, according to US entertainment website Vulture.
But the new film will not feature Stoller's The Muppets co-writer Jason Segel, Vulture reported.
Speaking to the BBC News website earlier this year, Bobin said the door was open for a possible return of The Muppet Show to TV.

"The film sort of ends with a half-hour new Muppet Show, which proves we can do it.
"And so I would love to think we would give it a shot at some point in the future."
Asked if he would direct it, Bobin said: "Maybe, we'll see."

Kermit the Frog, speaking in the same interview, said: "I don't know - it's not entirely up to us.
"We are now a wholly-owned subsidiary of a very large corporation.
"If I had my legs, you'd see a copyright on the bottom of my foot."

Some 120 full episodes were made of The Muppet Show, which originally ran in the US from September 1976 to March 1981.

Soruce: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17231104

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
From BBC:
Danny Baker to write Muppets-style show for BBC One

Broadcaster and comedy writer Danny Baker has confirmed he is writing a new Muppets-style TV show for BBC One.

With a working title of No Strings Attached, it will feature puppets alongside real-life celebrities.
The teatime show is being developed in collaboration with The Jim Henson Company, the production outfit behind The Muppets.

"I'm writing the new Muppet/Puppet show for BBC/Henson," Baker revealed on Twitter. "There I've said it."

The 5 Live and BBC London presenter also posted a picture of himself, posing with a toy of Muppets character Kermit the Frog.

Baker, who has previously written material for Chris Evans and Jonathan Ross, won a Sony Radio Award last month for speech radio personality of the year.

Last year he revealed he had received the all clear after being diagnosed with cancer in 2010.

In March a spokesman confirmed the BBC were working on a chat show format, fronted by a new puppet.

The show was looking for "a warm, funny, cheeky, Saturday night host" to present it, the BBC representative went on.

Stephen Fry previously starred in a BBC pilot of the Muppets-style show, which was produced but never broadcast.

The Muppets recently returned to the big screen, going on to win this year's Oscar for best original song.

A sequel will start filming next year. A new Muppets TV series is also in the works in the US.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18493582

Luke

Reaction score
The vibe i get is that they have a very strong main puppet character and are trying to write a show around it. Danny is great. This could be good, though BBC 1 Saturday night is always tricky ground.

Why not just partner with Disney and do a new TMS with The Muppets? Other than I guess Disney are trying to target children more at the moment it seems.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Would love to see the unaired pilot with Stephen Fry. He's would be loads of fun:big_grin:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Nice news! I hope we see full episodes on Youtube soon.
I wonder what the characters will look like.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but there are tickets available to a JHC/BBC show available for tomorrow evening.

Go to current shows and look for Games Inc.

http://www.sroaudiences.com/
Thank you so much! Sadly, I'm from the United States and it costs over a thousand dollars to go to the U.K.
Thanks for the info anyway. I hope I get to watch a sneak peak on Youtube.