1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

UK: New puppet chat show by BBC and Henson

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by MuppetDanny, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Muppetlab

Muppetlab Well-Known Member

There is no mention of it on the BBC America website that i can see sorry

2. Muppetlab

So.. Those that saw the first episode- whats your honest opinion?

3. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

I've just finished watching the show and it's quite enjoyable. The host is british and a little hard to understand. The other characters I was expecting them to be over the top, rude and nasty but they all have actual personalities. There's a female purple producer who in my opinion is the real Kermit of the show and not the host. The host is actually the only character I did not enjoy.

The backstage drama is cool, it's just like on the muppet show, in this episode someone was getting fired and they even took the storyline on stage. I think the thing that makes this show stand out are the games. the games are so much fun especially the sausages.

eight sausages come on stage singing a verse from the same song each, the contestants then have to squeeze the sausage in the right order. It was a pretty cool show

4. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

Saw the first episode today and really enjoyed it. I found it very entertaining and liked a lot the games they played, my favourites was the one when they had to squeeze the sausages in the right order to create a song correctly and the award ceremony when they had to say the speech and answer the questions in it. The characters were awesome and all had personalities, the characters I really liked were Mancie O'neill the producer, Eddie Watts the Music expert on the show, The Amazing Ian , the Hot Dogs, the Tortoise and Dr Strabismus the science expert who was teaching the kettle in the staff room how to talk. The show was Brilliant and very Enjoyable and I will definitely watch the rest of the series. Also in the credits Brian Henson and Louise Gold both were puppeteer's on the show :)

5. MuppetGeek

MuppetGeek Member

I saw the first episode and I thought it was brilliant. Very funny and the characters all had brilliant personalities and were hilarious. My favorites were The Amazing Ian, Eddie Watts, Dr Strabismus, Mancie O' Neill, Clyde, and The Hot Dogs, well they were all brilliant. The Games were hilarious and the backstage bits were very well done. One of my favorite bits was when The Amazing Ian got drunk and was falling asleep. Overall it was a very good show.

6. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Very much enjoyed it.
    Not entirely sure who is puppeteering what, except for one really obvious piece, but its all very well done.
    I am wondering whether Nigel Plaskitt could have been the tortoise.
    The only piece I would say for sure, is that I am certain that Jemima TapTackle is one of Louise's characters - that voice (and presence) is a complete giveaway.

7. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I think they should put episodes of this show on YT if they can, so the rest of us can watch it.

8. Muppetlab

9. Muppetlab

10. Muppetlab

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Hey, that was very good! If the Henson Company could get more things like that off the ground, they wouldn't be the laughing stock of the TP forums. It was just the right amount of adult humor without being too offensive.

The games were very creative; I've played a lot of You Don't Know Jack and this reminded me of it. The backstage elements were pretty good too, I loved Brian's Armadillo. And hey, Louise Gold! My only problem was the scoring crab; didn't find him very funny. The host was kinda bland compared to the rest of the cast, but I suppose that's the point.

12. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

13. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

So, now I am wondering, do we have any definitive info on who performs which character? - I mean it's been fairly widely put down in print about Brian Henson performing the science expert. while it was absolutely clear to me watching it last night that Jemima Taptackle just HAS to be Louise Gold. I think Amber could possibly be Louise, but it's a fairly typical type of cute female character that quite a number of puppeteers are capable of.
    As fans we often debate among ourselves and we don't always get it right if we're just guessing, so I wonder, has anyone managed to find some definitive info on which characters are whose?

14. Muppetlab

The host is performed by Dave Chapman

15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Aside from the producer character, the rest of the female characters were done by Louise Gold.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  16. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Yes I was pretty sure Amber was probably Louise Gold. - my only hesitation was that it is a kind of character that quite a few women puppeteers, including Louise, are capable of. Though watching an 'interview' clip on MSN today also made me feel sure it must be her. And I realised she HAD to be voicing at least one of those Hot Dogs. Oh and the Crab's daughter who we only heard (rather than saw) was also obvious (because it sounded exactly like Spitting Image's portrayl of Tatum O'Neil).

As curious to know who did the producer?
    And would I be right in guessing Nigel Plaskitt as the tortoise I wonder?

17. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Honestly, well I think now I can understand that perhaps one of the reasons for the Disney deal might have been to force a letting go of the classic muppet characters, to force the company to HAVE to develop new characters for new programmes, with people no longer expecting to see the classic Muppet characters.
    I'm impressed with what I've seen. Yes its a new and so one can't tell if it will work or not. But it's good fun entertainment, whether or not i t becomes a big hit, well it's early days yet, but it's certainly one of the best pieces of JHC work I've seen in a while. I think creating new characters from scratch, with only subtle nods to its predecessor shows, is good.

18. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

Anyone that missed it yesterday its on today at 23.05 pm on BBC One :)

19. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

It wasn't terrible. Some of the jokes were funny. The problem is that it's such a carbon copy of The Muppet Show. It doesn't take any risks, it just takes the personalities of the classic characters and waters them down.

20. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

I'm glad some people enjoyed this, personally it wasn't for me. I found it slightly embarrassing to watch and felt the celebs at times looked uncomfortable. It almost tried too hard to be the Muppets and I worry that stuff like this could tarnish the Muppets - the number of people who have told me about this assuming its Muppet related and I'd be excited about it only reaffirms this concern. The characters do bare a resemblance to the Muppets style and I could see how it could be confusing to the casual fan. That said, I will give it another shot, if only because of the Henson connection but I highly doubt I'll ever be a fan.