Unaltered songs

SesameMike

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
...And there are a few songs that were performed on the show as they were originally written like-
"Octopus' Garden" and "Yellow Submarine" by The Beatles.
They did this a lot in the early years. In addition to those two Beatles songs, there was "Help!" (monster chases a boy around a room) and "Say the word" (Anything Muppets are stacking blocks with the word "LOVE" on them). There was also "Count it Higher", but that was a loose parody of "Twist and Shout" at best.

Other songs done as-is (or with minor revisions):

"Swinging on a star". Susan had a large 5-pointed star, and made up Anything Muppets into a fish, a pig, etc.

"Spinning Wheel" -- Blood, Sweat and Tears.

"Consider Yourself" -- Oliver! sountrack. In the first episode, Gordon made up AMs who then sung the song. The line about "drinks are on the house", was carefully augmented with "Soft drinks!", lest anyone think the show would mention booze.

"Up, Up and Away" (in my beautiful balloon) -- Fifth Dimension. A boy AM was flying in a hot-air balloon while a girl was flying in an airplane.

"Good Morning Starshine" -- Hair soundtrack.

"Windy" -- The Association. A monster with bat-like wings actualized the "Windy has wings to fly..." part. Toward the end he flew 'round in a few circles but wiped out offscreen.

"Sing" -- The Carpenters. Actually, I thought the song was written for the show and then picked up later by The Carpenters.

There was also a song about "(someone's) back in town" with a boy AM and some kind of monster. (Was this "Lulu's Back In Town" by Fats Waller?)

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Sing a Song.

I think it was written for the show and then the Carpenters recorded it.

ISNorden

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
I think it was written for the show and then the Carpenters recorded it.
*nods* Joe Raposo originally wrote "Sing" if I remember correctly. (When the Carpenters' version hit the airwaves, I asked my mom what a Sesame Street song was doing on the radio...*blush*)

sesameguy

Reaction score
Carpenters question

SesameMike or ISNorden - Could either of you give some more details about the Carpenters' appearance on Sesame Street? Did it take place on "the street" or some other location? Was it just the Carpenters, or were they singing with the characters? Did they just sing "Sing," or was there a skit or another song that went with it?

I have a friend who is a devoted Carpenters (and muppet) fan, but neither of us actually remembers the clip of the Carpenters on the show. I'd love to be able to describe what it was like to him. Thanks for your help!

sesameguy

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
There was also a song about "(someone's) back in town" with a boy AM and some kind of monster. (Was this "Lulu's Back In Town" by Fats Waller?)
Yes, it was "Lulu's Back in Town", and it was included in one of the early "Unpaved" episodes that aired on Noggin.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
sesameguy said:
SesameMike or ISNorden - Could either of you give some more details about the Carpenters' appearance on Sesame Street? Did it take place on "the street" or some other location? Was it just the Carpenters, or were they singing with the characters? Did they just sing "Sing," or was there a skit or another song that went with it?

I have a friend who is a devoted Carpenters (and muppet) fan, but neither of us actually remembers the clip of the Carpenters on the show. I'd love to be able to describe what it was like to him. Thanks for your help!
they did not say that they appeared on SS.

ISNorden

Reaction score
You're right, Mike: even though the Carpenters recorded their own arrangement of "Sing", I don't recall their appearing or performing on Sesame Street in person.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Was "Spinning Wheel" a Muppet segment? I've got a copy of the song from a non-SW record (which doesn't even have any original SS songs; they've even got "Mah Na Mah Na" on there).

sesameguy

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
they did not say that they appeared on SS.
You folks are correct - sorry about the mix-up. My friend tells me that he's unaware of any video (other than from a concert) of the Carpenters performing "Sing."