Upcoming 2013/2014 Disney Movies

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Like I said, with this movie filled with constant jam-packed two hours of punching each other in various places, I have no idea what they'll have left to put in the sequel.
They'll just have more punching just with a different villain this time round.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still don't buy this "2 hours of nonstop punching." Technically, it was less than a third of the movie was like that, and the rest was all character and setting establishment. I don't see it having more or less fighting than a comic book movie should have, and there was a good balance, though some bits should have been edited tighter. The sequel can only be better (even though it's a Batman/Superman movies that it doesn't need to be), and have far more development and plot to work with.

Still, it wasn't half as terrible as every other Superman movie in existence. Even Superman 2 had huge problems with it, and it is considered the best of its time. As long as they don't make Lex Luthor a simpering simpleton that isn't bald, I'm fine with it.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Any Ghibli dubs coming? Disney Studio Ghibli dubs are some of the best dubbing I've seen.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I still don't buy this "2 hours of nonstop punching." Technically, it was less than a third of the movie was like that, and the rest was all character and setting establishment. I don't see it having more or less fighting than a comic book movie should have, and there was a good balance, though some bits should have been edited tighter. The sequel can only be better (even though it's a Batman/Superman movies that it doesn't need to be), and have far more development and plot to work with.

Still, it wasn't half as terrible as every other Superman movie in existence. Even Superman 2 had huge problems with it, and it is considered the best of its time. As long as they don't make Lex Luthor a simpering simpleton that isn't bald, I'm fine with it.
It's an exaggeration. It's interesting how some fans can either like the Avengers or Man of Steel. One can like both. They may be superhero movies, but they're different animals. I wouldn't have wanted a darker Avengers just like I wouldn't have wanted a lighter Man of Steel. Technically, Man of Steel is the better-structured film because it stands on its own without the help of 5 other films. That's not to say I didn't enjoy that picture. I loved it very much. Joss Whedon figured out how to do the impossible, but seriously. There really wasn't that much character development. Most of that was cut for time and action sequences. I do agree with Muppet fan 123 about the anemic development of Man Of Steel's supporting cast. They lost a great opportunity with Perry White, Jenny Olsen and even Lois Lane to some extent. But they did develop Ma & Pa Kent, Jor El, Zod and Supes.

Anyway, I digress. This is about upcoming Disney films. These are the ones I'm aware of:

Toy Story of Terror: Halloween TV Special 10.13
Thor 2: The follow up to Thor. 11.8.13
Frozen: A computer animated princess quest. 11.27.13
Saving Mr. Banks: The story of Walt Disney & the author of Mary Poppins with Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson. 12.13.13
The Pirate Fairy: A Tinker Bell video. 3.3.14
Muppets Most Wanted: The greatest film of the year! 3.21.14
Captain America 2: The follow up to the first Cap. film. 4.3.14
Bears: Disney nature documentary. 4.18.14
The Good Dinosaur: The new Pixar film. 5.30.14
Maleficent: Live action version of the Sleeping Beauty Villain with Angelina Jolie. 7.2.14
Planes 2: Straight to video sequel. 7.18.14
Guardians of the Galaxy: Another big budget, star-studded Marvel film. 8.1.14
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day: I guess this is a version of the book. 10.10.14
Big Hero 6: Disney Animations 54th animated feature, based on a Marvel comic and set in a fictional metropolis with robots. 11.7.14
Tomorrowland: Brad Bird’s top secret project with George Clooney. 12.12.14
Into the Woods: A film version of the Broadway Musical with Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp. 12.25.14
Million Dollar Arm: Biographical sports drama. (2014)
Phineas and Ferb: Is this finally getting made? (2014)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wondering where you're getting the info on Planes being DTV. It does seem like an obvious inevitability since the August dump date of the first one isn't doing the film any favors. And like I said, that same August date for a big budget film like Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't sound good. I'm sure the ticket sales won't even be able to match the price of animating Groot. There's gambling, then there's completely idiotic timing. I don't like how it's shoved in that month only to give Maleficent the plum July spot. It doesn't sound like a terrible movie, but it has huge bomb written all over it. GOTG was a gamble to make a film in the first place, as no one other than comic geeks have even heard of those characters. I mean, surely Iron Man was a less than hugely popular comic (compared to Hulk, Spidey, and the X-Men) when the first movie rocketed it to the mainstream, but he at least had cartoons and stuff before hand. GOTG only appeared on a recent episode of the recent Spider-Man cartoon.

Not to say that I'm not hugely excited for that movie, but an August dump month will put a damper on the MCU that doesn't need to be.

As for the Phineas and Ferb movie... I don't see why they didn't just release the second dimension movie theatrically. It certainly feels like it should have been.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I don't know if that Phineas and Ferb movie is getting made this year. There was no talk about it since it was announced two years ago. It was set to come out this summer and got pushed off by a year.
But with the announcement of the Phineas and Ferb/Star Wars crossover, it might just get dumped lower in the pile.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Like I said, with this movie filled with constant jam-packed two hours of punching each other in various places, I have no idea what they'll have left to put in the sequel.
They'll just have more punching just with a different villain this time round.
I have to agree, there was a plot in there somewhere, but I felt like it got lost with all the action. The saving grace for me is that I actually liked Superman, when we were allowed to have some character moments, lol.

Avengers clearly had a better balance of character moments and action. Of course it helped that they'd had all these other movies to build upon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit to this... the MOS movie felt like 2 movies crushed together. But I did like how they were able to blend the origin into the film without making the whole first half of the film a huge infodump like some (GREEN LANTERN) movies tend to be. I'll agree there are pacing problems with the film, and a stronger cut could have made all the difference... but at least the film wasn't full of butt pulls (Superman flying around the world fast enough to turn back time? Really?) or ... forget the cuteness...I'll just say it. Superman 3 is an embarrassment. It has a plot line that BOTH the silver age and Superfriends look at and feel better about themselves. There is NOTHING as stupid as random woman turning into a robot for no apparent reason and then never being mentioned again. Not even half the crap Jimmy Olsen got turned into or half the lame well meaning scientists that the Superfriends had to talk down are as stupid as that one scene.

But Avengers was pretty much the perfect comic book movie because it managed to avoid everything wrong with superhero movies... especially (for the most part) Leatherquest 2000 (A Strongbad term for the crummy not looking like the comics at all costumes they make the characters wear). The movie found that wonderful balance of taking itself seriously enough not to be a comedy, and being playful enough to avoid being completely dark. But then it did have the framework of 3 other film franchises, and you kinda had to see them to get what was going on. MOS basically had to build its own framework.

Now, WB's DC line of movies just haven't been successful other than the Dark Knight Trillogy and MOS. They did try to get a JLA movie off the ground well before the Avengers was even a twinkle in Marvel's eye. It went nowhere for obvious reasons... partially due to the writers' strike. What Marvel did was inconceivable, and now WB wants to start the JLA movie over again (but it looks like they changed direction) because of how monumental Avengers was. Other than the fact they're clearly not having the same Batman (it's been confirmed MOS does not take place in the same continuity as the TDK films), Green Lantern was a bust (and contrary to popular belief, Ryan Reynolds really didn't like making that movie, nor was he that happy with the result), and there's no way they can build up franchises based on Wonder Woman, The Flash, and a new Green Lantern film in time. Hence, they're making the next MOS movie a Batman crossover as a compromise.

As far as the MCU goes, those films can stand pretty well for themselves, but GOTG has a heck of a time in front of it. The characters are weird (a talking Racoon and a weird plant creature), the comic isn't well known, and the movie's getting a lousy release date.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'll admit to this... the MOS movie felt like 2 movies crushed together. But I did like how they were able to blend the origin into the film without making the whole first half of the film a huge infodump like some (GREEN LANTERN) movies tend to be.
Oh absolutely, I'm glad they were able to do something a little more creative than your standard origin story. And no, no one is arguing Superman 3 is superior, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw Superman 3 on television and felt bitter despair and hair pulling frustration. I'm not bothering with number 4. But it's the gold standard of awful third superhero movies that Dark Knight Rises (which was weaker than the hard act to follow second film) and Iron Man 3 finally broke.

But getting back to Disney...

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day: I guess this is a version of the book. 10.10.14
Sssssssthhhhhhh... (or however the sound effect of sort of derisive tooth hiss looks written)...

Yeahhhh... I'm no fan of the old 90 minute adaption of a 10 minute to read (if you read slowly and take time to appreciate the pictures) kid's book and it's batting average of late. The Shrek franchise is the only really successful kid's picture book to movie translation... and Cloudy is somehow beloved for some reason to get a second film... but you look at all the horrible kid's book movies we've seen, and I really don't have any expectations of that movie. Animated, live action, or whatever. You'd think Disney would be smart enough to avoid that trap.