1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

US Gov't Using Sesame Songs to Torture People

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by beaker, May 30, 2012.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

More reasons I hate this evil government, and SHAME on Sesame Street for making all those pro war specials where Elmo and Rosita's dads are killing people and dying in war. Obama, Bush, they're all the same puppets of the corporate elite profiting from these horrible immoral wars. Every day Obama is blowing up innocent Pakistani/Yemeni/Afghan/Somali men women and children with drone crafts or NATO is bombing yet another country. Well the insanity doesn't stop there!

It turns out the US army has long been using Sesame Street songs as part of their torture and "enhanced interrogation"(which has in fact included sexual assault, mutilation, beatings, starvation and a number of fatalities)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/30/torture-guantanamo-bay_n_1557294.html
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

They're doing it to comfort the children of military families. But beyond that I do agree there is very little to be defending.
  3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I just got a notice that Sesame Street will be on Fox News promoting more military specials. Lovely. Children should be told the truth about war, especially these post 9/11 wars which have absolutely no moral justification for existing.

Yeah I'm done. This whole world can go to heck

MSNBC: Obama's coverup of civilian deaths by near daily drone attacks
    http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_new...vilian-in-drone-wars?chromedomain=usnews&lite
  4. heralde

MSNBC is no stranger to bias either. ;)

Agreed. I understand our culture wants to make up for turning on the Vietnam vets, but now it's gone in the other direction where we're not questioning the justification for these wars nearly enough.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Even if that's the case, they're doing it WRONG! I hate the fact that they need to throw Muppets in harm's way. The idea of Muppets fighting in real wars is disgusting and Jim wouldn't have approved. He would have given SW a blessing to do a show to comfort kids, but he wouldn't allow them to get his peaceful characters into any real life altercation, even justified.

We're never going to have someone that isn't. Maybe if we had a Libertarian in there, and they forced us to go back to isolationism... but that's not going to happen. Still, Iraq was Bush's pet project all along, and he's been talking about those imaginary weapons that they really didn't have (the only weapons they had were ones WE gave them to fight Iran against the weapons we sold Iran) since the 2000 debates. While there is a lot of corporate Neo-Con hanky Panky, it could have literally been anywhere on the map.

The sad thing is we're choosing between war mongers and bloodthirsty war mongers. Obama may have technically ended the war in Iraq, even though they're still going to be there, I keep hearing the other side threaten to go back in. We're not in Iran yet, but I'm still sure McCain would've got us in there by now. Something tells me that Romney's going to do that first day as president, if he's elected.
    bandit likes this.
  6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

This is horrid. I know have no respect for the government any more if they're doing this. This can't be happening. We can't let this happen. We need to fight in honor of Jim. Fight for Sesame to be used to help people, not hurt them. It just can't. They just can't do this. Rip apart our beloved songs by using them to fight. This has to be the worst thing the government has ever done to the Muppets. We have to do something about this.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I more mean that we can't let this happen again, since it seems to have already happened numerous times.
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This is rather old news. Even Chris Cerf has spoken out about it.
  8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I just worry the messing with the minds of young children and the youth of America in how the government and media normalizes violence.

A small cell of Islamic extremists attack a financial center killing 2700 civilian innocents and attack the Pentagon(which isnt civilian). And what does the US do instead? Do they send an elite team of SEALS and marines to take out this small cell of men? Nope.
    No they do not.

They usher in months of heavy bombing on Afghanistan, which killed 3500 civilians in the first few weeks. They invade Iraq on false premises which led to the death and maiming of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians. Then they usher in endless drone and cruise strikes on Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, etc all in the name of "fighting terrorists".

But in a way the US has become the terrorists, along with NATO. 3000 of our citizens killed vs unimaginable amounts of Muslims. And the madness hasnt nor will stop. The US ends the war in Iraq and moves onto more adventures.

I understand the war think tank RAND corporation began to work with Sesame Workshop to produce a localized version of SS for Afghan children, and Im fine with that(btw Afghanistan is still the same place of despair it was in 2001, so nothing the US did changed anything) But Sesame Street appearing on Fox News to promote a military special, the day after its announced the US military routinely uses Sesame songs as part of their 'enhanced' interrogation of prisoners. It just doesnt feel right

This is the Jim Henson I remember
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I like the concept behind these military Sesame specials; I don't really mind that they're trying to comfort children from these families. The thing that I mind is that when they do this, they end up glorifying war and violence in the process. In a way the Muppets are saying that war is OK. I don't think Jim would've stood for that. These characters are the creations of a man who tried to make a TV show that would bring peace to the world, and now the characters have been indirectly enlisted in the military as soldiers, by practically supporting war.
  10. heralde

I know the press release described the special from 2009 as "a message for children whose parents suffered a physical or psychological wound in combat." I don't object to that in theory. So many soldiers come home with PTSD or severe physical injuries and that is something the entire family has to deal with pretty much for the rest of their lives. It's a good thing to talk about these issues rather than hide them in shame the way they did in years past. The pain the soldiers go through post-war should be brought to light.

It becomes a touchy subject when the question of whether the war is justified comes into play. I do wish they could find a way to discuss that but the show is clearly not what it used to be.

But in any case ultimately the parents will have most of the say in that anyway when they talk to their kids. It's like with Mr. Hooper's death. The episode explained the concept of death but didn't get into various belief systems on death. For better or worse that was left up to the parents' discretion.
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Right. I do agree. I don't mind that they're trying to comfort the military families. That's fine. But the thing is that in order to do so they almost, without trying, kinda leap into the territory that war is OK. If they could find a way to comfort them without making war look OK, I'd be fine with that. My other problem in addition is that they're doing too much, going on to these appearances and stuff, almost putting the world under the impression that they are pro-war.
  12. heralde

Well that's the nature of advertising; they can't make specials and then not mention them, nobody would watch, heh.

Some wars are justified; sad but justified. Kermit has played a pilot during World War II before after all. Thankfully he did manage to get in a "War is Heck!" Lol

I don't think it's out of the question for Sesame Street to say something similar, but of course they most likely won't. :p
  13. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Torture would be a lot more effective if it was Glee songs they were using... it's already "torturous" enough listening to them in everyday life.
    heralde likes this.