Using DVD's without a DVD-Rom, possible?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My computer doesn't have a DVD-Rom, so I can't view DVD's on my computer. But is there a way I can take what's on the DVD and upload it into Window's Movie Maker so I can screencap?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
No. DVDs use smaller data pits than a CD does, so DVDs require a laser capible of a smaller bandwidth. A DVD player can read data off a DVD and can also read CDs; however a CD player is not able to read the data off a DVD. If you don't have a DVD-Rom drive, then your computer won't be able to read DVDs. You might as well stick a coaster in the drive, because a CD-ROM drive won't be able to get the data from the disc.

You can read more about DVD vs CD here: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/dvd_closerlook.html

Now, if you had a way to hook a standard DVD player to your computer to record the video imput (the same as hooking a VCR, TV, or video camera to record video), you still might have problems getting the video to appear on your screen, as many DVD players have internal devices to prevent boot-legging or copying, so it scrambles the export singnal when going into a VCR, computer, or other recording device.

Long story short, with out a DVD-rom drive, getting screen captures from a DVD is quite a task. And it usally ends up being easier and cheaper to just to get a DVD drive.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Now, if you had a way to hook a standard DVD player to your computer to record the video imput (the same as hooking a VCR, TV, or video camera to record video), you still might have problems getting the video to appear on your screen, as many DVD players have internal devices to prevent boot-legging or copying, so it scrambles the export singnal when going into a VCR, computer, or other recording device.

Actually, I do just that, it works fine for me. If you get the Hollywood DV-Bridge you're good to go. That's what I use to import video into my computer. Just plug in your RCA cables from your DVD player, there's no copyright protection issues. The player can't tell the difference between that and being connected to a TV.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
Actually, I do just that, it works fine for me. If you get the Hollywood DV-Bridge you're good to go. That's what I use to import video into my computer. Just plug in your RCA cables from your DVD player, there's no copyright protection issues. The player can't tell the difference between that and being connected to a TV.
Don't believe it would work on my laptop. Boy, I never realized how behind the times I am on technology!