Using webcam for puppet monitor

aussiepuppeteer

Reaction score
im just wondering, what would be better to use as a monitor? a tv, or a computer monitor? :smile: also, can i just plug a video camera into it?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Cheap monitors

Okay so here is my advice for using cheap monitors on set or for practice.

Webcams- On of the easiest set ups. You can use Blog Tv/Skype/Ustream to broadcast your performance or talk to other people who are practicing. Or even just opening up your webcam on your computer to watch yourself and practice. Webcams are relatively cheap and are not mirrored. Nowadays you can get HD webcams that cost a little more, but all in all pretty nice and simple to use. I would recommend webcams for practicing.

"Camcorders"- I have a HD camera and I basically plug it into my Plasma TV or Computer and practice. I recommend this way if you want to practice with more than one person. The cameras aspect ratio (size of the screen) is wider (or has the option to go wider) so it can accomodate a lot more action within the frame. Usually webcams are "square" and don't provide much room for movement.

TV Monitors- You can go old school and use old tube tv...now a dime a dozen. Or purchase a portable DVD player (about $100) and use that for a monitoring system. I love the portable DVD because it is in colour and gives you the proper aspect ratio (what you see on camera you see on the screen). Some old monitors might cut off information at the sides of the screen and what you think is not being recorded is on the sides. The portable DVD player is great too because if you accidently crush, loose, smash it- a hundred dollars is not that big a lose. I would shed a tear though.

Computer monitors- Some people use old computer monitors or laptops. You can find the old school tube computer monitors now in second hand stores for nothing. With a little bit of asking around (Radio Shack) you can get the wires necessary to hook up your monitor to your camera.

All in all I recommend practicing using a elevated camera so you can walk around while manipulating the puppet. Hope this helps some.

aussiepuppeteer

Reaction score
thanks very much TheCreatureWork, that really helped me :super: and everyone else as well. i know what to get now :smile:

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
Building a Monitor

The way that I made my monitor was with an old vhs video camera and a t.v.

It's pretty simple, just take an audio-visual cable (the one with the red, white, & yellow ends) and plug them into the correct audio-visual holes in your t.v. Then plug the other ends of the cable(s) into the video camera. Now, turn on the t.v. and the video camera.:smile: Depending on what t.v. you have, :smirk:you might have to put it on video1 or video2.:wink: