Various 'snippets' from Sesame Street

clipjj27

Reaction score
Hi:

I remember Sesame Street fondly - the muppets in particular. However, there are some 'snippets' that don't feature muppets that I also found interesting. These feature letters, numbers, 'relational' words like 'between and 'through,' as well as 'opposite concepts' like 'beginning/end' and 'dry/wet.'

Two of the more 'famous' series involve numbers (1 to 10) in which the last scene is a pastry chef holding cakes while standing at the top of a staircase, losing his balance, then tumbling down only to get frosting in his face. This is followed by 'And that's the song of (number)!'. Another series features the derby-wearing painter who paints numbers from 2 to 11 on various things (like an umbrella, doctor's door, and man's forehead) until he runs into trouble on each episode.

However, does anyone remember any of the following 'snippets'?

1. Six clips featuring a female gymnast using several gym apparata to demonstrate certain terms like 'around,' 'beginning/end,' 'between,' 'close to/away from,' 'over/under,' and 'slow.' Moreover, does anyone know who she might have been - anyone famous?

2. Clips demonstrating 'beginning' and 'end,' each accompanied by some background music. Not including the gymnast, these are:

a. someone giving someone else a haircut
b. someone eating a hot dog
c. someone painting a picture
d. children waiting in line at a movie theater

3. A man in a white suit looking in a mirror, putting on a white hat, and wondering what things would be like if things went backwards. He then enters a 'backwards world,' and three things I remember going in 'reverse gear' are a chef writing on a chalkboard, eggs being cracked, and someone diving into a pool. The music, though, was my favorite part. I found it to be very groovy and uplifting.

4. Children dancing to music and periodically being interrupted by someone saying 'stop.' The word 'stop' also appears on the screen as well. After a few times, one of the kids gets impatient, points at the camera, then yells 'You stop!'

5. The Spanish word for danger, 'peligro,' starting out in two parts - 'peli' and 'gro.' The 'gro' part contains a bomb and is accompanied by a sinister chuckle as the two parts are pronounced while they inch toward each other. When they finally 'join up,' the whole word is pronounced and one can surely guess what happens next!

6. The song featuring birds flying and landing 'Flying so high...clean air, blue sky.' I found this song to be very comforting and soothing, at least back then. However, if I still remember the melody, my opinion isn't likely to change in this respect.

7. A man being sent on a mission to look for a number 20. He starts out by finding an 11 and a 12, then finds the numbers 13 through 19 along the way until he reaches his destination. When he finally arrives, he his surprised by a gorilla, with whom he must wrestle to uncover the 20.

8. A cartoon featuring a man saying 'W' for 'water,' after which the coversation balloon then becomes a 'tank' filling up with water. When the man can't retrieve any water from the 'tank' via a tap, he climbs to the top and drinks from there. There is also a Spanish version (I believe) for this featuring 'A' for 'agua.'

9. A cartoon featuring the letter 'G.' A goat first appears on the screen, and then hides as a man arrives. The man tries to remember his favorite 'G-word,' and when he does, it is 'grass' (and not 'goat'). The goat, ticked off by this, then rams the man out of the picture.

10. A man walking along the edge of a swimming pool, losing his balance, falling in, and coming out all dripping wet. The key words here are 'dry' and 'wet.'

I'll keep thinking of more as time goes on. However, if anybody remembers any or all of the above, or any actors and/or athletes who might have been featured in them, please let me know. Thanks. Oh, those memories!

camillachick

Reaction score
4. Children dancing to music and periodically being interrupted by someone saying 'stop.' The word 'stop' also appears on the screen as well. After a few times, one of the kids gets impatient, points at the camera, then yells 'You stop!'

When were you watching Sesame Street? This may make a difference to who remembers the skits you do. I watched in the 80's for myself and the 90's with my little sister (I was too cool to watch for myself at that time). As to the skit above, I don't think I'm remembering the one you are, but I recall a 'stop' 'dance' skit. With people dancing and freezing when the word stop was spoken. The dancers were a lady bellerina and a guy with a leather jacket doing some breakdance type stuff. The stops were actually the video pausing (those dancers couldn't possible float in midair for seconds on end)

Another memory- a picture was cut up in pieces which would appear on a black screen. The pieces were squares which would slide around trying to get into their proper position. It looked like a number 15 puzzle you can buy in a game store where the pieces slide by each other in a tight grid. The pieces would get onto the screen by spinning and then slide around. Spinning and sliding were accompanied by sound effects.

Memories just for good measure:
1-alot of cats walking on screen, they were stop animation until the end when a real cat walks on
2-blocks building into a zoo for plasitic animals that later move into the zoo, may have also been stop animation
3-railroad ties made from jenga-like blocks try to meet midscreen but they don't match up, so a hand draws a line for them to follow and a train crosses the newly laid tracks

also sorry for not remembering any of yours. I hope someone else does.

rjschex

Reaction score
1. Six clips featuring a female gymnast using several gym apparata to demonstrate certain terms like 'around,' 'beginning/end,' 'between,' 'close to/away from,' 'over/under,' and 'slow.' Moreover, does anyone know who she might have been - anyone famous?

>>>Vague memory.

2. Clips demonstrating 'beginning' and 'end,' each accompanied by some background music. Not including the gymnast, these are:

>>>I don't remember.

3. A man in a white suit looking in a mirror, putting on a white hat, and wondering what things would be like if things went backwards. He then enters a 'backwards world,' and three things I remember going in 'reverse gear' are a chef writing on a chalkboard, eggs being cracked, and someone diving into a pool. The music, though, was my favorite part. I found it to be very groovy and uplifting.

>>>Sounds almost like the video "Return to Innocence" by Enigma; this sketch I don't remember.

>>>Not this one.

5. The Spanish word for danger, 'peligro,' starting out in two parts - 'peli' and 'gro.' The 'gro' part contains a bomb and is accompanied by a sinister chuckle as the two parts are pronounced while they inch toward each other. When they finally 'join up,' the whole word is pronounced and one can surely guess what happens next!

>>>I have this one in my collection.

6. The song featuring birds flying and landing 'Flying so high...clean air, blue sky.' I found this song to be very comforting and soothing, at least back then. However, if I still remember the melody, my opinion isn't likely to change in this respect.

>>>Don't remember.

7. A man being sent on a mission to look for a number 20. He starts out by finding an 11 and a 12, then finds the numbers 13 through 19 along the way until he reaches his destination. When he finally arrives, he his surprised by a gorilla, with whom he must wrestle to uncover the 20.

>>>ABSOLUTELY! I'd love to add this one to my collection.

8. A cartoon featuring a man saying 'W' for 'water,' after which the coversation balloon then becomes a 'tank' filling up with water. When the man can't retrieve any water from the 'tank' via a tap, he climbs to the top and drinks from there. There is also a Spanish version (I believe) for this featuring 'A' for 'agua.'

>>>Don't remember either version.

9. A cartoon featuring the letter 'G.' A goat first appears on the screen, and then hides as a man arrives. The man tries to remember his favorite 'G-word,' and when he does, it is 'grass' (and not 'goat'). The goat, ticked off by this, then rams the man out of the picture.

>>>I got this one too. I remember it from way back when.

10. A man walking along the edge of a swimming pool, losing his balance, falling in, and coming out all dripping wet. The key words here are 'dry' and 'wet.'

>>>Was this one live-action or animated?

clipjj27

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I mainly watched Sesame Street between the years 1975 and 1981 (when I was ranging in age from 4 to 10). All ten of the clips I listed were ones that were on (or produced) during that time frame. I plan on adding some more clips to 'bring back' memories, but, they too will be from that 6-year (or so) span in which my viewing of Sesame Street was most frequent. Are you sure none of the ones I mentioned are ones you remember? Maybe Sesame Street did a major 'changeover' in getting rid of some clips and adding new ones between the times I watched it and the times you did. Again, I can't say I'm certain on this one. Sorry. BTW, I also regret the fact that I don't really remember any of the things that you listed.

camillachick said:

When were you watching Sesame Street? This may make a difference to who remembers the skits you do. I watched in the 80's for myself and the 90's with my little sister (I was too cool to watch for myself at that time). As to the skit above, I don't think I'm remembering the one you are, but I recall a 'stop' 'dance' skit. With people dancing and freezing when the word stop was spoken. The dancers were a lady bellerina and a guy with a leather jacket doing some breakdance type stuff. The stops were actually the video pausing (those dancers couldn't possible float in midair for seconds on end)

Another memory- a picture was cut up in pieces which would appear on a black screen. The pieces were squares which would slide around trying to get into their proper position. It looked like a number 15 puzzle you can buy in a game store where the pieces slide by each other in a tight grid. The pieces would get onto the screen by spinning and then slide around. Spinning and sliding were accompanied by sound effects.

Memories just for good measure:
1-alot of cats walking on screen, they were stop animation until the end when a real cat walks on
2-blocks building into a zoo for plasitic animals that later move into the zoo, may have also been stop animation
3-railroad ties made from jenga-like blocks try to meet midscreen but they don't match up, so a hand draws a line for them to follow and a train crosses the newly laid tracks

also sorry for not remembering any of yours. I hope someone else does.

clipjj27

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

rjschex said:

>>>Vague memory.

Do you remember her as a blond girl in a black leotard using uneven bars, a pommel horse, ropes, and rings to 'demonstrate' those terms? That's what I seem to remember.

>>>I don't remember.

>>>Sounds almost like the video "Return to Innocence" by Enigma; this sketch I don't remember.

>>>Not this one.

>>>Don't remember.

This was live-action.

Zet

Reaction score
clipjj27 said:
Hi:

that rings a bell, but I can't remember any more :frown:

clipjj27 said:
I have that one...at the end the voice repeats "peligro..." mournfully.

clipjj27 said:
I have that one too...I love it because of the recording of a "vintage" squeaky faucet they play when he tries the tap. When he tries to drink from the top, though, the water splashes up in his face (if this is in fact the one you're talking about).
They aired this one in the late 90's.

-Zet

nica

Reaction score
Hey there!

these are so great. I remember the baker and the spinning picture puzzles, the rest not so much. did you know that the kid counting in the baker skits was really jim hensons son brian?

here's some that i remember, i watched probably from about '77 or '78 till just recently. No i didn't need a young kid to watch with, I watched by myself even at the age of 17 when it wasn't so cool... I didnt care.

1- ladybug's picnic

2-it's a lovely eleven morning, where this cartoon woman is singing about the number 11 and ends up falling in a mud puddle

3-newsflash with the 3 little pigs, i only remember laughing so hard at that one

4-the nectarine pickers, 2 guys one with unbendable arms and one short and they had to cooperate to pick the fruit (i started a thread about this one)

well i guess that's it. i'll try to think of more too

clipjj27

Reaction score
Hi there. I remember all four of the things you listed, especially the last three. I liked the one about the nectarine tree, with one of the monsters saying 'Gonk' (or something similar). That was so hilarious! The other ones I found all right, but the 'Gonk' in the fourth one you mentioned really 'stands out' in my mind! Thanks for responding and bringing back memories!

nica said:
Hey there!

these are so great. I remember the baker and the spinning picture puzzles, the rest not so much. did you know that the kid counting in the baker skits was really jim hensons son brian?

here's some that i remember, i watched probably from about '77 or '78 till just recently. No i didn't need a young kid to watch with, I watched by myself even at the age of 17 when it wasn't so cool... I didnt care.

1- ladybug's picnic

2-it's a lovely eleven morning, where this cartoon woman is singing about the number 11 and ends up falling in a mud puddle

3-newsflash with the 3 little pigs, i only remember laughing so hard at that one

4-the nectarine pickers, 2 guys one with unbendable arms and one short and they had to cooperate to pick the fruit (i started a thread about this one)

well i guess that's it. i'll try to think of more too

clipjj27

Reaction score
Yes, the 'W for water' sketch that you are thinking of and the one I am thinking of are most likely the same one. Do you remember any of the other seven in the list I wrote? I do plan on creating another list of ten (or so) more 'snippets.'
Thanks for your response.

Zet said:
that rings a bell, but I can't remember any more :frown:

I have that one...at the end the voice repeats "peligro..." mournfully.

I have that one too...I love it because of the recording of a "vintage" squeaky faucet they play when he tries the tap. When he tries to drink from the top, though, the water splashes up in his face (if this is in fact the one you're talking about).
They aired this one in the late 90's.

-Zet

clipjj27

Reaction score
Hi:

I don't know if I sent my first response correctly, so I'll do it again (just in case):

You say you remember the gymnast vaguely. Do you remember her as a girl with blond hair in a black leotard using uneven bars, a pommel horse, ropes, and rings to 'demonstrate' these concepts? That's how I remember her.

As for the man falling into the swimming pool, it was live action.

rjschex said:

>>>Vague memory.

>>>I don't remember.

>>>Not this one.

>>>Don't remember.