1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Very Best of the Muppet Show DVD

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by BorkBork, Apr 14, 2002.

1. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Very Best Of...

Hey!

I got my Very Best Of The Muppet Show This week, and i have watched it 2 times already! Isn't it great???

I just love the Of Muppets And Men Documentary Extra on the dvd. I've never seen that one before. Are there more documentarys like that one?

/Anders
  2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

3. Animal

Animal New Member

Anders,
    There´s a couple of "making of" documentaries where we get to see the performers and everything! The best one is of course this, "Of Muppets And Men", but there´s also the 15-minute spot on 60 Minutes from 1979(I think), also with interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff! Then there´s the "Jim Henson Hour" episode called "Secret of The Muppets", also a GREAT special.

Also, there´s a very great Fraggle Rock special called "Down at Fraggle Rock". This special is also with lots of interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff!

Hans "Animal" Jensen
  4. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Anders,

Hey,
    There is also Henson Place and Great Performances- The World of Jim Henson that show clips of 'The Making Of...' stuff.

There is also The World Of The Dark Crystal andInside The Labyrinth which show you how they made it and lots of behind the scenes stuff !

See ya
  5. grouchman

grouchman New Member

sounds like this is truly out of production, but does that mean it cannot be found for sale anymore?

if there is indeed no u.s. version planned, it might be worth my getting a region 2 player just to have dvd quality copies of this stuff.

any thoughts/clarifications?
  6. BlueFrackle

Grouchman

Hey,
    I can tell you that the following are available now to buy -

The World Of The Dark Crystal UK DVD
    Inside The Labyrinth UK DVD
    Of Muppets and Men UK DVD
    Great Performances- The World of Jim Henson VHS Available from Henson.com store

Unfortunately The Secrets Of The Muppets, Down at Fraggle Rock- Behind the Scenes andHensons Place are not available on VHS or DVD.

I could help you out with the UK DVD's.

See ya
  7. grouchman

grouchman New Member

thank you

this is helpful because i have some of this "making of" material already, so i'm not as anxious about the "best of" dvd being out of print and/or unavailbe in the u.s.

i do have several programs whose titles i'm unsure of, so i guess the next thing i need to do is see if i already have the "of muppets and men" special.

still would be nice to have dvd quality, though. are these titles you mentioned something a place like Blackstar would handle?

many thanks.
  8. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Even tho it's on DVD the colours are very pale, since the documentary was taken from old original tapes with bad quality. Well, it's not THAT bad, but it looks old.-
  9. BlueFrackle

Grouchman and Bork Bork

Hey Guys,
    Well the quality isnt 100% it must have been filmed cheaply.

And i dont think BlackStar would have these DVD's ,im not sure.

Of Muppets and Men main features are the "I get around" scene with the pigs on motorbikes and the "In the Navy" scene.
    It is all Narrated by Jim Henson.

See ya
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

US ordering of Very Best

Grouchman...

(very cool avatar btw!)

I can't remember which one it was but i know i was able to get my copy of Very Best of The Muppet Show from either amazon.co.uk or blackstar.co.uk

...so that will help you at least get the DVD - you're on your own in terms of getting to play it!

---actually not true, i can offer a suggestion there too - if you can sell your own DVD player and replace it with an Apex DVD player (often available through Circuit City), those are often able to play multi-regions...some of them have special ways to get to a "loophole" menu and others are already able to play them...they show up often on Ebay too enough to where you an usually price shop for the best price - and keep your eyes on newsgroups and maling lists devoted to dvd players for assistance on which models require what fixes to be multiregion. There's one mailing list on yahoogroups.com devoted specifically to Apex players...type "Apex" in your search and it should bring it up.
  11. grouchman

grouchman New Member

thank you

a good friend has not one but two of those altered apex machines. he's kept track of which ones can be "hacked" and how. i'm tempted to get one myself for just this type of programming while they're still out there.

thanks for the extra information (and compliments are always nice, too!).
  12. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Both Great Performances: The World of Jim Henson and People Profiles: Jim Henson were done after Jim had passed, but both use interview material with him. For example, People Profiles opens with a real short clip of Big Bird walking into Jim's office and offering him a nacho (I laughed over this for about an hour), and Great Performances begins with Jim and Kermit sitting together, talking to the interviewer about how he feels okay with being seen manipulationg Kermit and that he doesn't pretend to be a ventriloquist, etc.

From where were these behind-the-scenes and interviews taken?
  13. Animal

Animal New Member

Hey!

"From where were these behind-the-scenes and interviews taken?"

The "nacho" clip shown at the beginning of People Profiles, with Jim & Big Bird is from the special "Henson´s Place" from 1985!

A very great UK special!!!

Hope this helps,

Hans "Animal" Jensen
  14. BlueFrackle

Hans,

Henson's Place is truly magnificent, But i never knew that it was a UK Special !

Wow !

So how many of you guys in the US have it ?

See ya