Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
People need to realize this is a new age in Muppetdom.
I completely agree. And personally, I really liked this movie. Sure, it was a lot more edgy than we're used to for the Muppets, but I think they were definitely aiming for a more adult fanbase, as more adults nowadays are fans of the Muppets (and I'm talking about THE Muppets, not Seasme Street) than kids. And it is new, more corrupt world we live in. I don't think the movie would've gotten such a response without the parodies and innuendos and what have you.

And hey, Triumph IS cool! I love that dog. XD

I'll admit, at first even I was a little taken back by the edgy humour. But it still had that nice, warm Muppety feel. I mean, c'mon! How sweet was it when under the plaque it said "To the lovers, the dreamers and you". That made me feel all squishlicious inside. ^_^

And I plan on watching this with my mommy tonight! And I don't feel one bit odd about watching it with her with the boob jokes, and the rave scene and the gay pig... of course, this is the woman who's let me drink since I was 13... erm... I might've been raised a little different, maybe this isn't a good example. ^^;; But I still stand by it!

So yeah, I'm giving IAVMMC the okay!

^_^ Debo

Jack Job

Reaction score
I'm glad someone brought up how this film fared with kids. It occurred to me almost immediately that few kids would really get into it. It was so bloody talky! I far preferred a tone where asides were made for adult viewers' benefit instead of presenting the muppets being smarmy and sarcastic. It always left the shows with a freindlier, warmer tone. Despite the fact that last night's movie wasn't visually dark, it sure felt that way. I really think they dropped the ball with this one.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
They were not shown in the US though, but they were in the UK and USA.
they weren't shown in the United States but they were shown in the United States Of AMERICA? whatchu talkin bout, willis?

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

People need to realize this is a new age in Muppetdom.
I so hoped the new age of Muppetdom would be one I could share with my daughter.

:frown:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe

I know religions are mostly patriarchal, but having God portrayed as a black woman was too much of a liberal indulgence for my liking. Especially a smarmy God, at that.

The guy who said he was going to "oil your chair" to the female character. What? Did we need that?

Can anybody tell me why Robin was performed by somebody else?????????????????????????:confused: :confused:
1) that was kind of racist AND sexist

2) that was HILARIOUS!
lady: Not EVERYTHING is an INNUENDO!
man:....(in an elvis voice) Innuendo!

3) too hard on Jerry's voice! jk, i don't know

Natalie

Reaction score
About this new age of muppetdom being inappropriate for young children: I think that maybe they ARE trying to gear more towards adults now.
I mean, over the last few years, the muppets have been basically dead. Pretty much all of the fans are either from the teenage generation and older. The only muppets the children of today grew up with were the SS ones, and really, even the past few years of SS haven't really been very muppety. So maybe they purposely were trying to make this movie for an older audience. I don't know, but it's a thought...

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
I so hoped the new age of Muppetdom would be one I could share with my daughter.
Hey Jess,

What kinds of things specifically would you not want your daughter exposed to? This was a partial concern for me as well, but I can't think of much I'd really want to keep shielded from her. The rave scene wasn't any worse than some of the racier things we've watched together on The Muppet Show. In fact, I've found certain things implied on TMS that have made me blush. While she might not get it now, she's going to figure it out sooner or later... and often that's more dangerous than what's more clearly illustrated. I justify it by keeping a close eye on what she watches and dealing with speed bumps as we go along.

Joggy

Reaction score
This comes from a guy who has not seen the movie but I still wanna express my opinion on everything I heard so far...

I personally think Henson did something absolutely DISGUSTING by bringing out this movie. They built up a great relationship with both adults and kids, and with all the sex humour, they're just dropping the kids like sandsacks.

Kermit and his friends used to be childhood heroes. Now they're just another bunch of Americans who get money by making sex jokes on TV. I mean, I don't mind sex jokes. I loved Saturday Night Live. But that sortta thing shouldn't have passed on to the Muppets. They're the only "safe" thing to watch. If they can't survive without cheap potty humour, they're gonna HAVE to quit.

Anyway, that is the reason why I hate this movie beforehand. I'm NOT gonna watch it. This is a crime. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, thanks for hurting people.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe
having God portrayed as a black woman was too much of a liberal indulgence for my liking.
Did I just hear that correctly?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
But You look at the three theatrical releases since Jim Henson's death. To me, MT and IVMC seem to be geared more towards older fans, while MCC, MTI and MFS more towards the entire family. In a way, since Jim Henson's death, the company has gone 50/50, in that some of their muppet projects "are" geared towards older fans. Compare this to when Jim Henson was alive...