Very SAD need some help

camillachick

Reaction score
Hi out there.
So I'm very sad lately and even though I don't have any of you on the board as close friends, I thought the anonymous thing could help me talk more easily to any of you. I also wrote it in capitals because it can stand for Seasonal Affective Disorder. I realized that my depressions often strike during winter and wonder if I have the disorder or a mild case of it. Anyone know alot about SAD? I am irritable and keep taking my anger out by yelling at my husband or crying. Both of these things make him sad and I need to stop but don't know how. I am reluctant to go to a doctor because of past issues with them in general, but if anyone knows a good one in the Albany area please recommend. I am also researching light therapy and would appreciate more info on that as well.
Please help. Even suggestions on what to do when I get so hopeless will help. I usually end up breaking things or cutting up cardboard with an exacto knife.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well i really dont know about the seansonal depresion, but i get really sad and angry when it rains. The best thing that i do is i have to have some time to be alone. it could be five minites or five hours. I know how it feels to always want to cry, i have done my fair share of it. just let it out, thats all i know to say about that.

There has to be somthing in your past that makes you this way. I know with me it i start thinking of when my Dad died it was kind of rainy then and that makes me sad. I also start thinking of how bad a person i am. So just look back at your past and see if you can find something there.

I hope this helps please let me know.
:smile:

camillachick

Reaction score
You know there really doesn't seem to be any reason past or present for the way I feel. Lots of little things upset me that would not bother me at all outside of the depression. That is why I think it is the season change/ daylight. I am glad someone responded who has gone through sadness before. If you have never been in or near depression it will be harder for you to give accurate advice- unless of course you are a doctor.
To the moderator: Can this be moved to friends and family? That's probably what I need right now.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I've had general anxiety disorder for a long time, and I know that's been a huge hurtle to figure out. I've finally been doing better thanks to reprioritizing my faith in my life, and also thanks to a wonderful girl in my life (who also has depression). I found that talking through things with her -- someone who actually related to many of the same things I was going through -- really helped, as well as going to the library and reading up on it.

My problem has been anxiety, but that does lead to depression, so there are similar remedies. One of them that's helped me has been stretching. Listening to relaxing music.

Ultimately what helped me personally has been putting God and my faith as first priority, because then "everthing else will be given to me". And so far I haven't relapsed. I don't know how similar this is to seasonal depression, but I hope I've been of some help, and we'll keep looking out for ya! :smile:

Beebers

Reaction score
Before humans began to measure time they were in rhythm with the amount of daylight in any given season, and hunkered down as much as possible during the season of short days, doing very little other than ensuring they had food to eat. The instinct to settle in during winter is still with us but we all have to keep on keepin' on and can't indulge it. That we can't is one of the factors in S.A.D.

I don't know how old you are - women are more vulnerable to these sorts of things what with hormones constantly in play. Sometimes the advent of all the holidays adds to the mix. And some people just plain get bummed out with the lack of strong sunshine. Nowadays nobody has to suffer with these maladies - there is so much competent help and fantastic medication out there. Call your Albany mental health services and see someone; just try it out and see what they'll do for you. If you don't like them find someone you do like and work toward the right solutions for you. Don't go without help, and good luck.

:sympathy: :sympathy: :sympathy:

Whatever

Reaction score
I can't offer any advice, just hope you feel better soon! Have a muffin.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Have TWO muffins. (That always makes me feel better) I like to do things that just make me feel really good. Like listening to music that makes me want to get up and dance instead of sitting around feeling depressed.

superfan

Reaction score
Hi!
All I can say is that I hope you find the help you need and that your family and friends stay strong behind you...to lift you up, to carry you...

I will add to the muffins a KitKat Max and a bag of Green Apple Jelly Bellies.

Listening to Pizzicato Five is highly reccomended.

We're here for you anytime.

camillachick

Reaction score
Thank you for all the muffins. I have found a couple of short term solutions including watching Sesame Street. Working on some long term ones now. I'm still hanging in though. Thanks for the support.

Beebers

Reaction score
camillachick, the light therapy will take you a long way and it's a good safe start toward feeling better. Also, talk to your local health-food stores about it - they can recommend lots of natural things, teas, etc., which will help you considerably and safely. Another forum I'm on has several members discussing this as well, especially since the blasted time change ("Fall back") which really sinks people with even a touch of S.A.D. You are hardly alone. A friend of mine who suffers badly with it has made arrangements with a guy who has a cozy, well-lit greenhouse to come in twice a week and hang out for free just to feel better through the winter. There are all kinds of little ways to deal with it.

:cool: :sympathy: :cool: