Video: Jungle Boogie with the Electric Mayhem

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd say about time!

I can't help but wonder if this was originally supposed to have the America's Funniest Home Videos host and they re-shot it to replace him with Sam the Eagle. That host was in the behind-the-scenes photos but not this, while Sam wasn't in the photos.

Until the ending, I wondered why Sam was there or even needed to take part in the song (eagles aren't jungle animals, after all). And while Sam in all those outfits is supposed to be funny, I didn't find myself laughing at them. Could it be a poor attempt at a poor attempt to be cool? And I never thought we'd be seeing Sam waving glowsticks again.

But this is mostly good. I like the song, it's great to see The Electric Mayhem get their own music video, great to see Lips included, those outfits are awesome, and Sam's initial reading of the song (as well as the ending) is really funny. I just don't feel amused by his various outfits and dancing.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd say about time!

I can't help but wonder if this was originally supposed to have the America's Funniest Home Videos host and they re-shot it to replace him with Sam the Eagle. That host was in the behind-the-scenes photos but not this, while Sam wasn't in the photos.
He probably was just visiting the set; I doubt they re-shot anything.

This was good. Maybe a song with actual lyrics and vocals would've been better, IMO. But I wouldn't trade that punchline for anything. That was gold.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That was a surprise ending for sure! I really love how alive Sam became through out the video. I also really loved all of the costumes both for the band and for Sam. This may lead to some interesting things with Sam in the new show as well. Great video!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While it is kind of funny that Sam would be part of an Electric Mayhem number, I sort of feel like this isn't the right number for that kind of thing (even though many Muppet numbers have twisted expectations of the songs). With the jungle setting and theme, I feel it would have been better if they had several jungle animals running around and dancing. Tough Pigs mentioned that there's a parrot whom I hadn't noticed.

Maybe there was a limited number of performers, or a limited budget on how many performers they could have included.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
While it is kind of funny that Sam would be part of an Electric Mayhem number, I sort of feel like this isn't the right number for that kind of thing (even though many Muppet numbers have twisted expectations of the songs). With the jungle setting and theme, I feel it would have been better if they had several jungle animals running around and dancing. Tough Pigs mentioned that there's a parrot whom I hadn't noticed.

Maybe there was a limited number of performers, or a limited budget on how many performers they could have included.
You have to look at the ending a little better, and understand that Sam was at a tiki bar. He was kind of in a jungle like atmosphere which is what partly caused him to have the dream of him being in the song. When you think of it like that then it's really not that out of place at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was good. Maybe a song with actual lyrics and vocals would've been better, IMO. But I wouldn't trade that punchline for anything. That was gold.
I wonder how another song would work. The humor here is all in Sam's stuffiness, and we've seen him angrily reading the lyrics of a song he found beneath him before. But there's something special in the fact the song is repetitive, lyrically pointless, and essentially just dance music. His disapproving and in disbelief "Jungle Boogie? Jungle Boogie!" to the beat just couldn't be sold with any lyrically complex song.

But for me, the humor was stuffy as a starched thick knit sweater in 90 degree heat Sam putting on increasingly ridiculous outfits. Somehow, it should not come across as funny...any other Muppet? Sure, wacky clothes...you probably wore a banana costume before... but Sam's permanent scowl just...just has me in stitches for some reason. Wonder if the glowsticks bit was a reference to the rave scene in VMX (which elicits the same bellows of goofy laughter).

I choose to interpret this video as not a dream, but Sam legitimately getting drunk at an Electric Mayhem tiki bar gig and just blacking out.

Oh... and ...YAY! Electric Mayhem with Lips in it. That's something too.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I loved it because it was something different from Sam protesting to something or trying say something and it going completely wrong. I thought his outfits where wacky and fun, and would love to see Sam have more of those kind of thoughts.