1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Video: Jungle Boogie with the Electric Mayhem

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

What a great way to start your week! It's a new song from the Electric Mayhem. Jungle Boogie everyone!

2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'd say about time!

I can't help but wonder if this was originally supposed to have the America's Funniest Home Videos host and they re-shot it to replace him with Sam the Eagle. That host was in the behind-the-scenes photos but not this, while Sam wasn't in the photos.

Until the ending, I wondered why Sam was there or even needed to take part in the song (eagles aren't jungle animals, after all). And while Sam in all those outfits is supposed to be funny, I didn't find myself laughing at them. Could it be a poor attempt at a poor attempt to be cool? And I never thought we'd be seeing Sam waving glowsticks again.

But this is mostly good. I like the song, it's great to see The Electric Mayhem get their own music video, great to see Lips included, those outfits are awesome, and Sam's initial reading of the song (as well as the ending) is really funny. I just don't feel amused by his various outfits and dancing.

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

He probably was just visiting the set; I doubt they re-shot anything.

This was good. Maybe a song with actual lyrics and vocals would've been better, IMO. But I wouldn't trade that punchline for anything. That was gold.

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

Ah, a drunk Sam Eagle. That's a first.

The set piece looked really nice too.

5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

That was a surprise ending for sure! I really love how alive Sam became through out the video. I also really loved all of the costumes both for the band and for Sam. This may lead to some interesting things with Sam in the new show as well. Great video!

Duke Remington and WalterLinz like this.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

While it is kind of funny that Sam would be part of an Electric Mayhem number, I sort of feel like this isn't the right number for that kind of thing (even though many Muppet numbers have twisted expectations of the songs). With the jungle setting and theme, I feel it would have been better if they had several jungle animals running around and dancing. Tough Pigs mentioned that there's a parrot whom I hadn't noticed.

Maybe there was a limited number of performers, or a limited budget on how many performers they could have included.

7. dwayne1115

You have to look at the ending a little better, and understand that Sam was at a tiki bar. He was kind of in a jungle like atmosphere which is what partly caused him to have the dream of him being in the song. When you think of it like that then it's really not that out of place at all.

8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wonder how another song would work. The humor here is all in Sam's stuffiness, and we've seen him angrily reading the lyrics of a song he found beneath him before. But there's something special in the fact the song is repetitive, lyrically pointless, and essentially just dance music. His disapproving and in disbelief "Jungle Boogie? Jungle Boogie!" to the beat just couldn't be sold with any lyrically complex song.

But for me, the humor was stuffy as a starched thick knit sweater in 90 degree heat Sam putting on increasingly ridiculous outfits. Somehow, it should not come across as funny...any other Muppet? Sure, wacky clothes...you probably wore a banana costume before... but Sam's permanent scowl just...just has me in stitches for some reason. Wonder if the glowsticks bit was a reference to the rave scene in VMX (which elicits the same bellows of goofy laughter).

I choose to interpret this video as not a dream, but Sam legitimately getting drunk at an Electric Mayhem tiki bar gig and just blacking out.

Oh... and ...YAY! Electric Mayhem with Lips in it. That's something too.

9. dwayne1115

I loved it because it was something different from Sam protesting to something or trying say something and it going completely wrong. I thought his outfits where wacky and fun, and would love to see Sam have more of those kind of thoughts.

10. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Loved the video!

11. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

That was terrific. I thought this would be an original song not knowing it's a Kool and the Gang song (love that band!). Nice to see the Electric Mayhem back. Sam was absolutely hilarious, him reciting the lyrics at the beginning reminded me of him in some skits on TMS.

Great now I can't get this song out of my head. Jungle boogie, jungle boogie...:)

Duke Remington and dwayne1115 like this.
  12. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

This was very good. It's nice to see Sam let loose.

Duke Remington and dwayne1115 like this.
  13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Can someone please send me the MUP3 for this? Thanks. And yeah, you gotta be careful at that tiki bar Sam, someone's liable to slip a Mickey into your drink... Which is fine since you work for the mouse anyway. :o

14. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Poor Sam! He's never going to live this one down, lol.

theSHE124 and Duke Remington like this.
  15. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

The Electric Mayhem band really knows how to Get Down!!! :halo: :sing: :D :flirt: :cool:

16. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

A very funny and enjoyable video love seeing the electric mayhem even though it was Sam that did shine through in the video which is what made it funny. Also new music content from the band is great so Disney please do a Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem full album on vinyl/CD what ever it would be amazing.

17. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

The Muppets could always take on Any Song!

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  18. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

Omg when I saw the video, I bursted out laughing cause of Sam in different tropical and hippie-like outfits that he would never wear! The rest of the Electric Mayhem were amazing on the song! I'm getting used to the song, it's really really great!!

19. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

Seeing Sam dressing up like Elton John among other interesting outfits made my day. Always great seeing the EM pump out some jams. I'm wondering if this may be inserted into an episode of the new series? Could fit right in. Not often you see Muppets getting drunk.

20. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

LOL--Silly! :zany: Nice promo going back to the roots of TMS's target age, & I don't think I've ever seen Dr. Teeth wiggle his nose before...original! :D

Love that there was a story for the music video. To quote from CharlietheOwl's fanfic, A Nest Divided:

And I think Sam's moment is also a first. Glad u got to see it, Charlie! I too could use a happy dance break from the frustration I'm having lately. :)