1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Video: Kermit (Matt Vogel) and Fozzie (Eric Jacobson) in Muppet Thought of the Week

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Watch another performance of Kermit the Frog by Matt Vogel. This time Kermit's joined by Fozzie Bear in the Muppet Thought of the Week.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

It's funny - after all these years, I still find Eric's Fozzie to be incredibly hot or miss.

Really liking Matt's Kermit, though, sounds even more like the Kermit I'd expect here. Starting to wonder if the "angry, depressed victim" side actually came from Steve, as it's yet to appear since he left; then again, we haven't gotten much, so I guess we'll see.

pjtoadie and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  3. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

I agree Kermit sounds really really good in this video. Different to Steve but it sounds like a Kermit we should be seeing for a while

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I still find the voice to be a tad too deep and Ernie-ish than Kermit-esque.

And it's funny how I didn't hear a trace of Constantine in the first new MTOTW, but have been in ensuing video material.

5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I really want to love Matt as Kermit, but I just can't...

6. xSunnyEclipse

xSunnyEclipse Well-Known Member

Yeah..I'm sorry guys.

I just can't. Not right now.

MikaelaMuppet and cahuenga like this.
  7. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

To be honest, Matt sounded like he was tired. Like he pulled an all-night before this video.

8. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Steve didn't knock it out of the park his first few go-rounds either.

We've heard, maybe, a minute at most of Matt's Kermit. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt/play devil's advocate/all that jazz and actually give him a chance to improve instead of shooting him down immediately.

9. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I'm in no mean's immediately giving Matt a "yeah, he won't do good." For Kermit. Right now I don't think he's gotten the voice down just yet but I'm sure as the years go on he'll hopefully get the voice.

10. D'Snowth

A Kermit voice is always going to be hard to replicate mainly because Kermit's voice was always pretty much a variation of Jim's natural voice - so much so that Jim had said he'd had to be mindful not to lose Kermit's voice when performing because he ends up slipping back into his natural voice.

11. dwayne1115

This bears repeating, but it's not just the voice! the voice is a very small part of it, It's the personality, and mannerisms that's the issue here. He is just not the same Kermit, and that has nothing to do with Matt's prefromance, but anyone other then Jim or Steve is going to be different. That is one of the main issues Steve himself had with multi casting and with understudies. At best Matt or whoever else prefomers Kermit is going to be an imitation of an imitation.

12. D'Snowth

Rick Lyon kind of had the mannerisms and inflections and such pretty good in that Colbert skit, but the voice sounded too much like a parody imitation of Kermit.

13. dwayne1115

Well again we are seeing everything Steve has said in his blog come true with Kermit. I could care less if Matt sounded exactly like Steve or Jim for that matter. Because the voice is just such a small factor.

It's like how everyone has been getting upset when the media calls Matt or Steve a "voice actor". Well we are doing that when we just focus on Kermit's voice. We are treating Matt and Steve like "voice actors" even when we are against calling them that.

14. xSunnyEclipse

I honestly don't think that's a great comparison, but that's my opinion.

I have a lot of problems with the mannerisms and expressions in that skit video, but it was a parody, so I'll let it pass.

And yeah, I really don't care if Matt sounds like Jim or Steve. It's the expressions and mannerisms I focus on, and I haven't seen much of that yet.

MikaelaMuppet and dwayne1115 like this.
  15. Cookie Chris

Cookie Chris Member

Putting the voice aside, the gestures that Matt was making as Kermit in the video remind me too much of Constantine, especially with that V-shaped mannerism Kermit makes with his lips when he's annoyed. Matt used that facial gesture a lot in Muppets Most Wanted. Again, he needs more time and support.

16. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

I call that the "Scrunchy Face." I think Matt needs a little more work to get that right. But I keep telling myself, he'll get it. He's just starting. Naturally, he's going to have some rough patches in the beginning, but he'll get better, I'm sure of it.

17. xSunnyEclipse

Yeah, that's what I've been saying for a while.

It seems like Matt either isn't comfortable or doesn't know how to give the right expressions to Kermit. In most cases, he looks dead or confused about what's going on. The same issue happened in the Hollywood Bowl, and I really hope he works on that.