1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, May 12, 2015.

1. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

We're fans. We pick at things. But I come from the position of wanting to see the best in things and in people because I'd rather be occasionally disappointed than permanently disillusioned. :)

Just think. This time last year everyone thought it was over for the Muppets and now they're the attraction that totally took Comic Con. They top almost every critic's list of new shows.

But again, we're all fanatics (people forget that's the word that fan comes from) and we have our passionate opinions. Some folks will only be satisfied with a direct facsimile of the Muppet Show yet still remark about the voice artistry being off.

I'm just excited to see the Muppets not just getting back to their roots but also creating something new and growing. That makes me very happy. They've taken a step forward but in classic Muppety form. ;)

Well, so far...and so far so good. :D

Duke Remington likes this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've been building this up for a while now, but I feel this is the best outlet for this.

I despise mainstream fickleness with the burning passion of a trillion red hot suns just about to burn out. The fickleness of loving first comeback movies and crapping all over the second one because it's another one and/or not the quality of the last one (follow ups are admittedly hard). The fickleness of loving a celebrity until that one movie where it's okay to hate them and the world is supposed to turn their backs on them until they do a preachy indie film (but it has to be the right kind of preachy or it's a vanity project) or die. The fickleness of wanting new adventures of such and such and then automatically hating it the second it's announced even if it's a direct continuation. And especially the fickleness of treating something that unfortunately falls a little flat worse than something outright horrible. And this isn't just The Muppets here... it's every bleeding thing. :rolleyes: And it's like there's some big God of entertainment of some sort that says "If you like this stuff, you're incredibly stupid and uncool." They "Emperor's New Clothes" the heck out of that piece.

But it's great to see this excitement and praise for the Muppets' return to TV after the fickleness of the same types loving TM and not MMW. hopefully this kind of excitement can keep the show going at least further than the last TV series. But mark my words. After reading the script to the Fox series, I am extremely grateful that series never was produced. For all the things anyone can say about this new series being out of character or the jokes being low brow, the Fox series would have been a poor return for the franchise. Not that there wasn't something good here and there, but it was all very 2000's style "Scary Movie before everyone hated it" humor. It barely worked for VMX (which is horribly dated, and I'm not talking certain references so much as overall), it wouldn't have worked for a TV series. It was very much hit or miss in MT, that's for sure.

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

You know what I'd love to see? We catch a glimpse of them rehearsing "Mahna Mahna," then we see what the Snowths/Mahana Mahna actually do outside of the bit.

I'd also enjoy seeing some small character get eaten by one of the larger monsters, then we follow them from time-to-time throughout the rest of the episode as they continue to be inside their stomach.

Given how the show is shaping up, these seem entirely plausible.

4. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

my favorite bits always have been when they sing a song and it starts going downhill during the performance. I know I know it's from TMS but it was always funny!

5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a gag where they're supposed to do the song, but then one of them (whether in cut-away or not) remarks that they're tired of always doing that song. It would be the first time since the "string quartet" sketch on The Ed Sullivan Show (and the Canteen commercial) that Mahna Mahna said somethign other than his own name, or perhaps the first time one of the Snowths said something besides "doo doo do doo doo".

6. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

If they do that, I'd be mad. The band don't do that. I agree with you @Ladywarrior

7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Eh well with Zoot you can always speculate, lol. Of course, that's subtle humor. I agree that anything more than that would be questionable.

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  8. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Some fans are insane. The fact that Floyd's eyes were initially had spiraled pupils in the Muppet Show pilot, the band planning so sell "organic refreshments" in the Muppet Movie, Zoot "skipping a groove" and always behaving as if he's in a fog and many other examples point to clever drug references just as Kermit's sly line in the new pilot does. Heck, notice how all of the band members' eyes are either shut, crazed or obscured.

For those wanting a puritanical Muppet Show (that never really existed) here's something for the kids.
    As for me, I'll be watching the new program in the hope that they'll keep the classic tone of the pilot.

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's hilarious that the Disney Junior shorts were being derided as "too kiddy" and now the pilot is being derided as "too adult." I agree there was always a sly "hippies love drugs" burnout stereotype vibe with the group. The joke it the pilot is at least a subtle hint and not something blatantly obvious as a Robot Chicken skit/Family Guy cutaway. I'll give the whole "the Muppets were all about overly sophisticated humor" generalization a go and all, but the whole overly clean humor notion is just the most laughable nonsense I've ever heard. Anyone remember the "I don't care if he's rich...and I'll just be his..." line from Dog City? How about Raquel Welch? Just... just the whole episode, especially the opening number? Not exactly the kid friendliest of things there. And let's never forget the brutal satire of what Convincin' John really is. That was one of the most subversive things back then. As long as the new series is clever with the adult jokes, I don't see a problem.

I'd hate for this to be another "Snoop Doggs should not be allowed with the Muppets" VMX pseudo-scandal. Especially since, Snoop Dogg was in both a kid's movie (Turbo), and had a guest spot on a kid's cartoon (Sanjay and Craig).

10. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Pilot table read! So to whoever said they were filming a couple days ago, it hasn't started just yet.

11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Man I would love to see more of that script......

12. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

I would say because it's played very much at face value. Hopefully it won't last beyond the pilot / first episode. If they're really interested in mining character relationships, of which I'm definitely in favor, then simple dismissal isn't going to do much for it.

Whoa, let's not go off half-cocked and put words in each other's mouths.

For the record, I watched the pilot presentation in its entirety and enjoyed it much more than the teaser. Perhaps I had gotten used to the "adult" jokes (and yes, I realize they had always been there, just usually not so "lowest common denominator" as they were in the teaser).

My favorite lines were some of the subtler ones, such as "so I won't run" and "we're screwed, Gary". It makes for a pretty good balance.

Wasn't keen on the guest star cameos, IMO the one element of the new movies that was mishandled (check out the cameos in TMM, for instance -- they all have something to DO, some bit to play, not just to show up with a blink-and-you'll-miss-it throwaway line that normally would've gone to a bit player one step up from an extra). Okay, Banks and Grace DID at least have a bit to play, but they were shorter than short and either could've swapped in pretty much any celebrity to play it.

Henson and Juhl had conflicting ideologies regarding the role of the guest star, even as far back as TMS. Henson (at least publicly) likened the show to a TV special built around each guest's talents and personality. Juhl argues that the Muppets themselves were the draw. I think the truth of the matter lies somewhere in-between: yes, the Muppets themselves are the bulk of the show, but audiences do get a kick out of watching what scrapes their favorite stars get into once dropped into the Muppet world, what fun and embarrassing situations they get to play, situations which we wish we could be in but can only enjoy vicariously.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

ETA: oh dear, I can see I've been away too long. Used to be a regular contributor and fanfic writer. Now I'm just "that guy". ;)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

13. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

I'd be down with ALL of these ideas!

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole