Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I almost fell off the couch laughing when Chip said, "I think I was in a holiday special or something..." And Gonzo insisting, "We were in, like, six movies together and three TV series!" to earn Piggy's reply: "Um...Gary???"

This is EXTREMELY promising from where I sit. There's enough self-referential humour to draw in longtime Muppet fans but also some bonafide laughs and a few surprises (I did NOT see Kermit's subplot coming, and ESPECIALLY not his edgy last line).

I know some people will be ticked that it's not a flat-out variety show but, as others have mentioned, I suspect there will be enough show-within-a-show silliness to infuse just enough of that classic TMS vibe while keeping it fresh. If the writing and overall direction is strong enough, I suspect this may come off as TMS-without-the-laugh-track more often than we might realize.

Lots to get excited about here, gang. Even the time slot. ABC is bullish enough about The Muppets to make it a weeknight lead-off instead of shuffling it off to Friday or Sunday. I really, really, REALLY like where this is all going.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I love it I love it I love it!!! I don't really mind the show having a mockumentary style to it! There were so many parts I enjoyed: Rowlf wearing a cone, Kermit being stuck in traffic, Fozzie and his girlfriend and her parents, the interview shots, and the references to past Muppet productions!XD

Again, I seriously can't wait!!

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Really liking the look of this so far, Chip cameo (I reckon that puppets probably seen better days :wink:), Rowlf and his cone, Fozzie and his girlfriend bit, Gonzo... or wait is it Gary hahaha. I can't wait for this now all I need is a UK network to show it :smile:

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Personally, I can't wait. The humor lands that fine balance between being great for adults while still being able to be enjoyed by kids. The mockumentary style doesn't bother me one bit; as long as we get behind-the-scenes glimpses of the Muppets trying to put on a show, that'll be good enough for me.
All that being said, I was a little unhappy with the "bacon-wrapped **** on earth line." It just seems out of character for Kermit. I mean, I know he has to put up with Piggy all the time, but I always felt that, at the end of the day, he genuinely did have feelings for her, and just rolled with the punches (or karate chops) so to speak. I guess I'll have to wait and see how this develops on the show itself, but it just didn't sit right with me.
Also, please God, get them to change that title.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't think it's intended to be Spamela, they're just reusing the puppet.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Well Kermit says in the trailer "Guess I cant help it Gonzo, im attracted to pigs" then cuts to Spamela.

But anyway throughout the whole thing I was laughing! I can't wait fall can't come soon enough

Last edited: