1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Videos: Muppets Most Wanted videos with Ross Lynch and Debby Ryan

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by muppetlover123, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to be as fair as I can here.

While I do think the fact that Disney is pushing tween stars (something they've started up again) is a damper on the film, I'd only complain about it if they were the main characters or had a large role. They clearly won't. There is one more piece to this...

No matter who owns the Muppets or who produces the movie, some studio would force employee cameos in the film. Just be thankful the Muppets aren't owned by Universal Studios, or we'd really have vertical product integration. Any movie Universal does either features actors predominantly from NBC programming (not exactly terrible. Despicable Me 1 and 2 didn't suffer from that too much), AND it would feature nothing but promos of NBC shows clumsily shoved in. Let's look at Get him to the Greek. Aldos Snow is on the Today Show to perform his greatest hits. Other than the fact the scene is noticeably lengthy, it's not terrible. Terrible, however, is what I can only describe the COMPLETELY shoehorned reference to Sean Comb's character and his family's favorite show being The Biggest Loser. I LOVE that movie. I seriously do... but that reference was unnecessary and completely and utterly enforced by UniversalNBCGE.

Except, that did already happen with VMX. Now, I love VMX and all, but the special was made of NBC employee cameos and promos (including the clumsily written Scrubs bit that was made without the slightest nuance of research). I'm starting to think the fact Fozzie got cut off at the end of the song by the American Dreams promo (remember that show? Oh, NO ONE does?) was part of the film. If they did a Muppet special today, I'm sure that it would turn into a 50 minute infomercial for Comcast.

So Disney basically put a tiny bit of vertical integration in the film by putting all of 2 of their tweeny boppers in a cameo that can't last more than 30 seconds at most. It does suck a little, I can't lie, but I'm going to suck it up. For the reason said and the fact it's hardly the worst (ROB SCHNEIDER) cameo ever associated (KELLY OSBORNE) with a Muppet fi(JOE ROGAN AND THE ENTIRE REFERENCE TO FEAR FACTOR)lm.

And also, Mickey in Avengers 2 would be awesome.

2. StevieOpossum

StevieOpossum Active Member

At least they're not constantly looking down at the Muppeteer (like some celebrities often do), I'm fine with them being in the movie as long as they have good chemistry with the Muppets.

3. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I can completely understand people not liking the NBC cameos in VMX. That being said, I actually found the Fear Factor and Scrubs bits kind of funny, along with Kermit's "corporate synergy" line before the NBC logo mysteriously shows up on his flipper. But hey, that's me.

If you really want to grumble about corporate synergy, we could point out that this is the second consecutive Muppet movie featuring stars of ABC's Modern Family. I, however, won't be one of the grumblers, because I happen to think Emmy-winner Ty Burrell is hilarious and is also a perfect fit for the Muppets. I honestly think I would pay to see any movie featuring him in a major comic role.

So hey, sometimes corporate synergy works in our favour. (And no, neither ABC nor Disney paid me to say that.)

Duke Remington likes this.
  4. Drtooth

Ty stepped in for Christopher Waltz (sp?) who wound up having a cameo in the movie anyway. Strangely enough, Ty also stepped in for Robert Downey Jr. backing down off of Peabody and Sherman which, even stranger, comes out the same month.

The Scrubs cameo bugs me because it was made too soon in the show's existence and without any real reference to the actual show. Somehow, it seems that they wrote an ER cameo, and NBC said "Nah, make it Scrubs." It's more a lost opportunity than anything, if you ask me. I think the better Scrubs crossover was the Sesame Street characters in J.D.'s imagination.

I'll say this... more people seem to be okay with the totally dated reference to Fear Factor than the CGI'd Cars 2 poster that appears for a whole of 10 seconds in The Muppets. Of course, it was to replace a certain movie Disney didn't like at the time because they were basically contractually forced to release it.

5. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

That would be an awesome idea! I love it! That would truly make it a Muppet movie, in my opinion those are the little fun scenes kids will remember when they're older... not fart shoes. Gonzo flying away on balloons in TMM, the Monster in the van at the start of TGMC, Rats in the kitchen in TMTM, singing fruit in TMCC, Vacation Rats in MTI... the Muppet Hats would have fallen right along that list

6. StevieOpossum

The fact that tween stars get forced into the film kinda got lampshaded with Selena Gomez's "My manager told me to be here" line in TM.

7. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong with the fart shoes. People need to get over it!

Drtooth and StevieOpossum like this.
  8. StevieOpossum

The infamous "fart shoes" joke really rustled a lot of fan's jimmies. I'm not really bothered by it at all, it's just one joke. Some other (typically CGI) movies have way more rude jokes that make the fart shoes innocent in comparison. The joke was probably inserted to get the movie PG rated, because kids disregard G movies nowadays. :rolleyes:
    (I'm not gonna get into a long lecture about "Avoid the Dreaded G Rating")

9. Mr Sweetums

I believe the fart shoes could have been handled much better, I for one think they failed there as they did with Miss Piggy wanting to pee in Muppets From Space.

10. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

They're going to throw talentless Disney Channel kids at us. It's just a reality we have to deal with. No use getting angry about it. At least we have The Muppets.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  11. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I really hope and wish Rizzo robin johnny fiama sal and clifford cameo in the new film.....

12. los

los Active Member

Or worse with Scooter cage dancing.

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  13. Mr Sweetums

that one definitely makes the list, I had actually repressed that scene until now ;)

14. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Those two aren't even in the same ball park. The MFS bit is much worse.

15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think...who cares? Humor's all subjective. Why make a big deal out of one three-second joke in a 100 minute movie?

16. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Muppets don't stoop down to toilet humor. That's the problem. Leave those jokes to the cheap CGI films.

"The Muppets have always been about artistic integrity! Not cheap jokes!"

muppetlover123 likes this.
  17. Drtooth

The Fart Shoes were originally a Checkov's Gun. Then they weren't.

Meanwhile, the "nipples" joke from Muppet Zardoz goes uncomplained about.

First off, I'll take Disney Channel talentless kids over Rob Schneider, Ashanti, and Kelly Osborne anyday. Secondly, as I said, they're just tossing 2 of their prefab stars in there. Universal would have turned the movie into an advertisement for NBC, just like VMX and LTS (to a lesser extent) were. Thirdly, remember how everyone was pulling their hair over Selena Gomez (or whatever interchangeable pop tween) last movie? And her big appearance was a 2 second backhanded cameo. "My Manager told me to be here" indeed.

18. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Atleast Disney are pulling the same stunt with the new Star Wars movies*

*according to reports, please feel free to apply the inevitable backlash

19. Drtooth

Hey! It's better than those offensive Chinese Trade guys from Episodes 1-3.

Why no one realizes they're actually worse than Jar Jar on every level is beyond me. At least Jar Jar shut up in the 3rd film.

20. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I'm unsure of what you're talking about. Muppet Zardoz? Never heard of it. (Apparently, Muppet Wiki's got nothing on it either.)