Virus alert!! re: ebay auction...

MM-III

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I would've posted this under the "disgraceful ebay auction" thread but I felt it was too important to risk not being seen by everyone.

To anyone who emailed the seller of the green "error" figure, I was sent a virus today through email. I have reason to believe that it's due to the efforts I have made to get this seller penalized for his actions.

The sender was listed as "J. Rodriguez" and the subject line was "Hello, some questions"

When I clicked on his email to read it, an attatchment attempted to open without authorization. Luckily, my virus protection did not allow this to happen and it was safely deleted before any damage could be done.

If you get a message from J Rodriguez and you were involved with the ebay auction... do not open it!

Now just to be completely open minded... it's possible it has nothing to do with this auction business... but I would urge caution from anyone who has contacted the seller in any way.

uncleduke

Reaction score
That' s just flipping outrageous. Since I also emailed him, I will definately be on alert.

A thought, do you have the address of the person who sent the virus? if so do an ebay search and see if it comes up as the same person. Regardless, this seller is suspect at best. We all know he is aware of his mis-statements, and does not take action. I will be noting his name, and not bidding on his items in the future.

MM-III

Reaction score
Quite frankly,

I just wanted to get that email away from my computer so unfortunately, I didn't get an email address. But I suspect that he probably would have sent it via some free email account that anyone can open which would not have led anywhere.

The reason I think this is due to the auction is that I've been online for about 6-7 years and never in that time have I ever been sent a virus. Then this auction thing happens and all of a sudden a virus shows up.. It's circumstantial evidence but it's strong circumstantial evidence.

I've also been active in emailing his bidder to tell him that the figure was not what it appeared to be. Is it possible the bidder is somehow working with him? Don't know... but I think I'm done with being an ebay policeman.

Let the con-men be con-men and the suckers be suckers. It's not worth it.

radionate

Reaction score
you do realize that the bidder could very well be the seller. A lot of people will bid on items that they are selling. It seems crazy but they do it to jack up the price, and get interest going at times as well.

MM-III

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I'm basically saying the heck with it.

My sense of moral outrage is not so strong that I'm willing to risk my computer on it. (which I will still be paying for for two years!)