Vivendi acquires Genius properties (SS one of them)

Drtooth

Reaction score
news

They are planning to still released SS DVDs... at least as far as the press release states. I don't know of any changes to any prior releases, and the press statement doesn't say anything negatively affecting the 40th anniversary set...

but I still think this is a heads up we need to be aware of.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently they're the distributor for Shout factory's stuff... I felt this was pretty important as Genius was the longtime distributor of Sesame Street DVD's when Sony Wonder bottomed out.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Apparently they're the distributor for Shout factory's stuff... I felt this was pretty important as Genius was the longtime distributor of Sesame Street DVD's when Sony Wonder bottomed out.
That could be a good sign. Shout! has released box sets of many cult shows, with good helpings of special features... Maybe there'll be more boxed sets of classic Sesame Street episodes.

dwmckim

Reaction score
...and among the box sets that Shout had put out are the Electric Company dvds (also by Children's Television Workshop aka Sesame Workshop)...in between that and the simple fact that the Sesame DVD's are a hot property that is a major strength of Genius (and let's face it, Vivendi purchased them because of all the things Genius had to offer and they wanted in on that action), i'd say SST fans have nada to worry about. Might turn out even BETTER.

Drtooth

Reaction score
i'd say SST fans have nada to worry about. Might turn out even BETTER.
I would never have thought anything negative would happen here... it IS Sesame Street after all, and people still buy those Elmo DVD's.

I'm sure they'd probably give SW an arm twist or two for some old school like sets of classic footage... or even just more of what Genius was doing... putting classic footage one to DVD's.