VMMCM dvd question

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
I almost picked up a copy of "A Verry Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" on DVD yesterday but I noticed it was full screen. Is there a widescreen version available or should I just give in and get the cropped one?

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
I almost picked up a copy of "A Verry Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" on DVD yesterday but I noticed it was full screen. Is there a widescreen version available or should I just give in and get the cropped one?
The region 2 release is widescreen

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
When NBC released this made-for-TV movie on DVD this in 2003, fans were upset to find that the DVD would not hold the proper widescreen presentation of the film. This full frame DVD doesn't present the movie as it was filmed and intended to be seen, because the sides of the picture have been cropped away to make the originally rectangular movie fit on the more square television screen. In the case this film, it resulted in 28% of the intended on-screen “Muppet magic” and picture being removed. The people who created the movie designed it to be shown in widescreen; however this release does not hold the proper aspect ratio. Surprisingly, the bonus features (deleted scenes and bloopers) were presented in the proper widescreen format, and most of the international DVD releases of the film were in widescreen; however the region 1 (US and Canada) DVD release is full-frame only.

The film was shot in 1.85:1 (widescreen). The film was released internationally on DVD in widescreen, and the deleted scenes and blooper reel bonus features are also in widescreen on the region 1 DVD; however the actual film sadly gets a cropped treatment.

A widescreen region 1 DVD does not exist and does not look likely anytime soon. I would recommend picking this DVD up, the film itself is great, despit loosing some picture (also not that when originally broadcast on TV, it was full frame - and was shot with that in mind, some picture is lost, but the director keep full frame in mind and the scenes are composed to not be substantially hurt by it). It is still sad that it's cropped.