Wait a Minute... "DreamWorks' Dragons"? What?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... he doesn't like those.

I'm gaining respect for them for booting out most of the live action drek that no one actually liked or wanted on the network. And if Adventure Time, Mad, Regular Show, and Gumball keep the network from slipping back into the "everything but cartoon Network," I think we should all be thankful for that. Even if I didn't like said shows, I have nothing but respect. Remember... these cartoons were meant to get in tweens and teens... and remember what they were watching not 5-7 years ago. I mean, CN has it more together than Nickelodeon.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Apparently, HtTYD was based on a book series. It turned into another one of those "In name only" type movies. From what I get, Toothless was really a tiny, scrawny little dragon with no teeth, similar to those little fire breathing guys in the movie. Just thought I would mention that :stick_out_tongue:
That's right! In the books, Hiccup is about ten years old, close friends with Fishlegs, learned how to speak 'Dragonese', the dragons were already pets to begin with, Gobbler was bigger and meaner, there was no Astrid, the series was more like Roald Dahl, I could go on! But according to the author Cressida Cowell, she felt the movie delivered the same message as the book, despite the changes.

Ok, I'll stop being a book nerd now. *slinks off*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is there any case where they actually keep the premise of the book in these things? There's usually a sliding scale of small changes to make the film fit in a 90 minute time frame or the Disney's Jungle Book method of tossing the book aside and doing whatever the heck they want.

I know that the guy who wrote Roger Rabbit liked the movie so much better than his own work, when he wrote another Roger Rabbit novel, he made it a sequel of the film instead of his own.

Then there's Alan Moore who only liked one of his stories that got adapted... the Justice League Unlimited episode "For the Man who has Everything."

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I know there's one out there somewhere, but I can't remember what it was....:search:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As long as it doesn't turn into that Meatball movie, I don't really seem to mind.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't have Cartoon Network, but I do think some cartoons series based on animated films were good particualry the Lilo and Stich series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a LOT of great cartoons based on movies. Need I bother to mention Real Ghostbusters? And I really think Men in Black the series has better concepts and stories than the second and third movie. Especially the second.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the show yet? I watched an episode that was on demand where they had to save some animals from a big snowstorm. It was ok. The animation looked more or less the same as the movie. I can't make a solid judgement on one episode though. I can see i having potential, though I'm not sure how many episodes they could realistically make...doesn't seem like they really have much room for story lines

snichols1973

Reaction score
I don't have Cartoon Network, but I do think some cartoons series based on animated films were good particualry the Lilo and Stich series.
Chris Sanders, who voiced and created Stitch, later went on to join DreamWorks Studios, directing the How to Train Your Dragon film, and was credited with co-creating the Dragons: Riders of Berk alongside Dean DeBlois, even though Cressida Cowell is the author of the book series....

Drtooth

Reaction score
How much prior knowledge of the movie do you need to enjoy the series?

I watched the movie's Snoggletogg special last night and I was almost totally lost.