Wal-Mart DVD service makes absurd suggestions

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought this was kind of interesting. Out of all the DVD's to illustrate, they choose the "Best of the Muppet Show"...

Wal-Mart DVD service makes absurd suggestions
Associations not quite sorted yet

PEOPLE WHO SIGN UP FOR Wal-Mart's DVD Rental service and buy films are being faced with a torrent of suggestions for other films they might like, but quite probably wouldn't.

One poor chap noticed that Wal-Mart has started an Amazon like association list but it needs to do a bit of work on it yet.

For example, he points out, say you use Amazon and order a "Best of the Muppets" video, the service will ask you if you're interested in other Muppet movies, Mystery Science Theatre, or Sesame Street.

Wal-Mart's associations, he says, are altogether more bizarre. Choose "Best of the Muppets" and you might well be asked if you want Taxi Driver, Out of Africa, and Nightmare on Elm Street, for example.

Presumably the software guys are still tweaking the "association" engines at Wal-Mart, while Amazon's had a little more time to get it right...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10224

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
LOL!! Best Of Nightmare on Sesame Street From Oscar's Taxi Cab.

Did you also notice "PUNCH" of Punch n' Judy in the top left of the screen, also there's a penguin, but not one of OUR Penguins! It's one for Linux downloads. Just another example of gratuitous penguin usage.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew it wasn't one of OUR kind of penguins. Something more foreign to our own universe...

our's being that of the Muppets.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Best Of Nightmare on Sesame Street From Oscar's Taxi Cab Which has Just come Out of Africa.

wolfy

Reaction score
Best Of Nightmare on Sesame Street From Oscar's Taxi Cab Which has Just come Out of Africa
Super Scooter said:
In Wal Mart.
Oooooooooh!

Where can I get my copy?!
wolfy

(PS Can you believe how dense some sales people can be about movies, even Muppet ones??)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whatever said:
More proof of Wal-Mart wrongdoing... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4143316/
I think we're talking about funny mistakes, not evil corporate dealings....

"It's so kind of Wal-Mart to give us these Wal-Mart drinks for having to say 'Wal-Mart' So many times"- Bugs Bunny from Looney Tunes: Back in Action.