Wall-E: The thread

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Rotten Tomatoes Rating

Before getting into the post I must preface with the obvious statement that critical approval means nothing to the individual viewer, but can be a good indicator of a film's quality, longevity and performance. And heck, it's nice to see good things receive praise. I say this because there's always someone that pops up to critique the idea of critiquing. To me, critics are little more than word-of-mouth sources with some informed thought and film history under their belts. Well, they're supposed to be that way.

So far out of 61 reviews "Wall-E" has received 59 fresh and 2 rotten leaving it with a 97% fresh rating. The two rotten critics have gotten heaps of flamed responses, but I think their reviews are more a cry for that sort of attention anyway. Looking back, it's more about a nonsensical distain for Pixar, Disney and popular culture than the film itself. :sleep: :boo:

The real reviews seem to call it a sweet and simple story with spectacular animation and an environmental message. Truth in advertising! I'm glad this is getting early praise. I'm looking forward to it, but will likely wait until after the weekend. There are a lot of things going on for the next few days in San Francisco and I try to avoid the wildness as usual. My freak flag already flies 24/7. :wink:

So please...no big spoilers in the thread for those of us who are unable to rush out to see Wall-E this weekend.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Looks like WALL E will be a marketing hit. Toy robots usually sell (though Blue Sky's Robots movie figures didn't do all that well). Plus, the Thinkway action figure line looks pretty well done. they even have a green army men-esque "Bag of Bots"
Yeah, I can see the robots selling well and I can see people liking the moving for it's story and it's message. It's just the the message of the film itself that would be the hard sell merchandise wise.

Redsonga

Reaction score
*hops* Mustseemustseemustsee...Waiting is the hardest part for me :stick_out_tongue:

travellingpat

Reaction score
I just got back from seeing it and it was awesome....almost as good as Nemo in my opinion

Drtooth

Reaction score
So far out of 61 reviews "Wall-E" has received 59 fresh and 2 rotten leaving it with a 97% fresh rating. The two rotten critics have gotten heaps of flamed responses, but I think their reviews are more a cry for that sort of attention anyway. Looking back, it's more about a nonsensical distain for Pixar, Disney and popular culture than the film itself. :sleep: :boo:
No matter how amazing a film is, it will always have poor reviews. Just like a poor film will always get a couple rave reviews.

I do think they're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, maybe on a political level (not getting into that, though).

I'll probably see this one tommorrow. i won't post any major spoilers on the account of anyone who won;t see it till later, though.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I just got back from seeing Wall-E and I really enjoyed it. I knew I would enjoy it, but I have never been disappointed by a Pixar feature film.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with how the romantic aspects of the film were handled. For weeks I kept thinking to myself, "How is this going to work?" But I think it was handled very well. Wall-E and Eve's relationship was very sweet and really served as a glue for the movie, I thought.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be honest I was never totally sold on the original Toy Story film as a whole but it has some moments and I have always respected its achievement and place in animation history. Bug's Life seemed incongruent to me as well (but still beautiful, of course). So I guess that's the one real disappointment for me, but I do own A Bug's Life on DVD so that says something.

Hope to see Wall-E tomorrow night.