Walter Puppet

Alfernot

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with making my very own "Walter" from the new movie. Like what materials do I need, and how many of those materials, etc. . I want to make it in time for my birthday in late January. So please give me the best birthday present ever :smile: :smile::rolleyes:

Herry Grail

Reaction score
I posted in your other thread, but today I made a Disney Store plush into a great Walter puppet. Separate the back of his shirt from the pants, pull all the stuffing out of his body and the lower part of his head (in his chin). Them carefully cut the plastic lower-mouth insert to better conform with the shape of the black part of the lower mouth (it pulls with the head through the hole you've made). It's a little tough to manipulate with adult hands, but it displays much better I think. Worth a try...just go to the Disney Store to pick a decent one. I'd like to cover his cloth eyes with plastic ones, but it works for now, and took all of ten minutes!

Herry Grail

Reaction score
Here it is...the ten-minute Walter puppet! He's displayed alongside the regular plush, and he's positioned on a water bottle. The bottom two show my fingers manipulating the mouth, but remember it's just my middle two fingers above and my index finger and pinky below...your hand won't likely fit up into the head.

Herry Grail

Reaction score
I've started removing the eyes to replace them with plastic spoons (I'm leaving the lids, but the lashes come out along with the whites). If they turn out decently I'll post photos in a few days...otherwise he's getting little sunglasses!!

Alfernot

Reaction score
Does turning the plush into a puppet require any sowing skill?

Herry Grail

Reaction score
None whatsoever, but if I could sew I would stitch the edges of the opening between his shirt and pants I made. It looks like it will continue to separate, and would be an easy stitch on either side. Of course, you can opt to remove the pants altogether, classic-style, in which case you have the shirt hanging open under the coat.

I may have bit off too much trying to change the eyes. I will post my results over the next few days...if it turns out badly I'll convert the other Walter plush I have like the one above and leave it at that.

Walter

Reaction score
Hmm.. Before I do anything, I am trying to figure out how to unstitch the back while leaving enough string to tie off.. I am going to sew the edges of the opening for extra support.. Unlike are friend Walter in the movie, I am not great at sewing..so I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Herry Grail

Reaction score
Get some cuticle scissors or a knife blade and pull the shirt and pants apart in the back until enough thread is exposed to snip it. It will start to pull apart easily...then just use some white thread to sew the edges at both hips so it doesn't come apart further. It's all covered by the jacket...mine's not sewn at the edge of the new opening, but I'm hoping it stays together well enough. Since I mainly did it so he displays more puppet-like, I don't plan to stress the opening very often.

The only tricky part is trimming the bottom plastic mouth insert to conform with the brown lower mouth area. Just keep cutting along at it until you're happy that it conforms better so he loses that severe underbite.