1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Walter Puppeteer Auditions

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Mistoffelees, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Member

According to an article in the New York Times, Peter Linz was one of six puppeteers who auditioned for the role of Walter. I was wondering if anyone knew who the other five puppeteers were? Thanks!

2. Mupp

Mupp Member

I don't think that specific info is available to the general public.

Its possible that we'll find out on the bonus features when the movie comes out on DVD next year.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Is there nothing about that on IMDb under trivia? I mean, I haven't read anything about it myself, but there may be some sort of info about that sort of thing there.

4. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

nothing is there

5. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I think one of the others could be Paul Rudd, because he was the first to be rumored to be doing Walter.When I first saw this post heading, I thought Disney might be auditioning for a replacement to Peter Linz.

6. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

id love to see this...this is my fave part of working with people when i do projects because you get to see how people view different characters

7. muppetperson

8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

No no, Michael Cera/Paul Rudd is who they had in the original script playing a "human" Walter in a dream, I think.

9. D'Snowth

Are you sure you don't mean Paul Rugg? Rudd isn't a puppeteer, Rugg is.

10. D'Snowth

Why in the world did they choose such a simple and generic looking Walter? I mean, he seriously looks like one of those poorly constructed stock puppets you can get at Christian book stores at jacked up prices.

11. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

once you see the movie youll see Walter is all about how he expresses, Just like Kermit its in the way Peter moves his had..... there's even a moment i have yet to figure out from a puppeteers point of view that fascinates me all 3 times ive seen it (4 if you count tv) i want to know how its done

Duke Remington likes this.
  12. muppetperson

It was Paul Rudd whose name I saw.
    http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Paul_Rudd
    I dont know of Paul Rugg so I will have to google it.Just done it-says Rugg is a voice actor, not puppeteer.On the other hand, I believe Rudd has done puppetry on Sesame Street, working Rosevelt Franklin.

13. haakonsmary

haakonsmary Member

Kevin Clash said he auditioned for Walter (trying to remember where I heard this, I think it was on his interview with The Daily Show).

14. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

But Walter is so adorable with his little blue suit and his Kermit watch and the Kermit shirt he occasionally wears and his parted hair and his - You get my point. He's adorable. And yeah, I think seeing the movie just adds to his already existing adorableness.

Duke Remington likes this.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Walter's supposed to be... wel... twerpy. The fact that the character's such a small little twerp that's inexplicably related to the extremely tall Jason Segal (who, just a week ago played a convincing Andre the Giant on SNL). I don't think a more complex looking puppet (like Johnny Fiama) would have carried that across as well... not to mention you'd be lost out in expressions like this:

[​IMG]

The fact he's able to contort his face, Kermit style, really spoke to a character that's pretty emotional and accident prone. Someone as stiff as Miss Piggy or the Chef couldn't pull off the same extreme cartoonish expressions (well, Piggy can scrunch up her nose and look angry).

16. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

I fully agree.

Not only that--at times, Walter's design kinda reminds me of some old school humanoid Muppets like Scoop & Skip. In a good way, of course.

Not all Muppets need extravagant over-the-top designs to be great characters--they just have to have great personalities, first and foremost. Kermit, for example, is a very simply-designed puppet (aside from a couple of "unique" details like his collar and eye pupils), but has a great personality. Same goes for Grover, Cookie Monster, Elmo and so forth and so on--all characters with simple designs, but wonderful personalities.

As Jim Henson himself once said, "Simple is good".