Was it Disney's choice to change some of the Muppet's appearance?

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
The Muppets have changed very little in appearance in the last 15 years, but in the new film some of the characters have a completely different face. Especially Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal. Was this Disney's decision?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I doubt it.
More likely, it was just a natural development (as they have always developed, certainly when MTM was released people may have questioned "Was it Jim Henson's choice to give Miss Piggy that horrendous hair?")

However, I do wonder about Fozzie's much much softer look. Has he been redesigned to be more child-friendly and plush friendly? Its possible, I suppose.

Perhaps next they'll start dressing Rizzo in pink in order to redress the male to female ratio as they did with Piglet in Winnie the Pooh...Hmmmmm...

Drtooth

Reaction score
More likely, it was just a natural development (as they have always developed, certainly when MTM was released people may have questioned "Was it Jim Henson's choice to give Miss Piggy that horrendous hair?")
The ugly curly girl-fro was a HUGE 1980's hairstyle. Everyone from Cher to April O'Neil (comic and movie only) had that fluffy ugly on their heads. Just like how Janice's askew pony tail was popular at the time. Fortunately for Piggy, she didn't carry that hairstyle for almost 2 decades.

The 80's were all about ugly hair, weren't they?

However, I do wonder about Fozzie's much much softer look. Has he been redesigned to be more child-friendly and plush friendly? Its possible, I suppose.
Someone needs to confirm this. But I remember reading somewhere around here that Fozzie's fur fabric is no longer available, and they had to do a lot of trial and error substituting for it. I don't get the grey eyebrows, though...

Beauregard

Reaction score
He actually has grey eyebrows in MTI as well, maybe it something that makes him seem older (not a child) since people get him confused with a much younger character than he should be.