was the beginning of Put Down the Duckie normally cut?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After seeing that the opening wide shot in the segment Put Down the Duckie was cut in Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days, it reminded me that I once saw an airing of that segment in season 25 where the beginning was cut. And it got me wodnering... Was it common for that shot to be cut on the show? I recall seeing the segment in the 1980s and don't remember it being cut (but I also don't remember it being uncut). The opening shot was used in Sesame Street, Special (in fact the music started at the very end of the preceding segment, The People in Your Neighborhood), and it's in both versions found at sesamestreet.org (and I have made an observation about this... see below). But it seems like it was cut a lot. It was also cut from Sing Yourself Silly, which also cut the introduction by Hoots. There was also a segment where Elmo and Ellen Degeneres listen to headphones, which play the song. At the very end of the scene, we hear the music playing, then we hear Hoots say "one more time!", and then it leads to the segment, cutting the whole introduction and starting with Hoots playing the music (in this case it would have been weird to see the introductory sequence).

As a side note, I noticed that the celebrity and non-celebrity versions have different music playing a tthe beginning before Hoots makes his introduction. And in the non-celebrity version the music keeps playing a bit as Hoots makes the introduction.