Was this really news? Fox News attacks Mr. Rogers

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
There are some shows on Fox News that aren't completely focused to a conservative audience, but Fox News does have a conservative spin overall. When they say fair and balanced, I have no idea what they mean other than "We're fair and balanced... in a one sided way." Most other news channels do have a liberal spin, so maybe their slogan means they're balancing out that side of the media?

So, back to the topic at hand, attacking a harmless television icon who has been dead for years just seems wrong to me on any level.

sesameguy

Reaction score
A while back, I blogged all about this issue:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2007/07/youve-got-to-do-it.html

In summary, yes, it was a stupid claim. :smile: If I recall correctly, the person who initially made the statement has backed off a bit, indicating that it is not Fred Rogers himself who is to blame, but rather the attitude of trying to tell kids that they are special all the time. Regardless, the argument just doesn't stand. As I said in the post, "you are special" does not mean "the world owes you a living."

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
There are some shows on Fox News that aren't completely focused to a conservative audience, but Fox News does have a conservative spin overall. When they say fair and balanced, I have no idea what they mean other than "We're fair and balanced... in a one sided way." Most other news channels do have a liberal spin, so maybe their slogan means they're balancing out that side of the media?

So, back to the topic at hand, attacking a harmless television icon who has been dead for years just seems wrong to me on any level.
Thank you. This is kind of what I've been trying to say. This has become more of a political debate over all.

No matter what your political views are this was still very wrong to say this about someone who was dead. If this was on CNN, I would still feel the same way. I don't think people should complain so much just because this happen on Fox News.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Thank you. This is kind of what I've been trying to say. This has become more of a political debate over all.

No matter what your political views are this was still very wrong to say this about someone who was dead. If this was on CNN, I would still feel the same way. I don't think people should complain so much just because this happen on Fox News.
Well I thought it was wrong no matter what news reported it.

For anyone to attack a dead children's entertainer for the shall we say "shortcomings" of america's youth is just lame.

It's so funny they think kids in Japan work harder due to them not watching shows like Mr. Rogers. When in fact, it's just how their culture is. I mean let's face it, overall people in Japan are known for working harder than Americans. What I mean is though we, Americans, do care about grades, we're way more relax about our kid bringing home a "B" or in some cases even a "C."

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fox News used to balance the equation of predominantly liberal reporting with their rabidly conservative slant, but not any more. All news these days is sensationalistic garbage, but none as much as Fox News. They stir the pot to reap profits. They're the bullies of the playground picking on minorities and fearing anyone with a different viewpoint by giving them the "progressive" label. Other cable news stations can say some outlandish things, but Fox News is downright toxic.

It all really stems from this horrible core belief held by their major commentators:
* That traditional and religious Americans should have more rights than others rather than equal rights for all because such equality would somehow eradicate their personal freedoms.

The same reason why I like the Muppets is why I can no longer watch Fox News. Inclusiveness and tolerance are things to live by, not just buzz-words. No wonder Fox and Friends has such a problem with saying everybody is special because it is their assumption that some people are better than others. Mr. Rogers viewpoint would have everybody getting along. That makes a much less compelling advertisement.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Oh, for the love of Pete...

What scares me is that there are actually people who agree with Bill O'Reilly. :concern:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Seriously people?

I don't understand when this became a political debate over a discussion on the topic. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but seriously? Just because this was on fox news doesn't make a difference! If this was on CNN, I would be just as mad. So, honestly I would stop complaining about Fox News and more about the topic at hand. Thank You.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Seriously people?

I don't understand when this became a political debate over a discussion on the topic. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but seriously? Just because this was on fox news doesn't make a difference! If this was on CNN, I would be just as mad. So, honestly I would stop complaining about Fox News and more about the topic at hand. Thank You.
The title of this thread is "Was this really news? Fox News attacks Mr. Rogers" so speaking of that network's agenda in relation to this sort of subject matter is on topic. Thanks. :attitude:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
The title of this thread is "Was this really news? Fox News attacks Mr. Rogers" so speaking of that network's agenda in relation to this sort of subject matter is on topic. Thanks. :attitude:
Okay, but, you are attacking the entire Fox News channel in general. This was just a stupid mistake by the people at Fox and Friends. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the people who made the claim. The rest of Fox News had nothing to do with this.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Okay, but, you are attacking the entire Fox News channel in general. This was just a stupid mistake by the people at Fox and Friends. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the people who made the claim. The rest of Fox News had nothing to do with this.
Well watching the video it is people whom work for Fox News that presented a very bias point of view attacking Mr. Rogers. It's not that they made a clam that bugs me about this with Mr. Rogers, it's that they too went into attack mode and called the man evil and this like that, I mean for Pete's sake dude's not even alive to defend himself.

According to the video there was some sort of study (I have no idea how one could make a study for this, but by that as it may) so if they were to just make that statement and present an unbias point of veiw, I would have no problem with it. I would still find it totally silly, but I wouldn't have been upset with it.

But that's NOT what they did. They called the man "evil." So I'm sorry I would have to say attacking Fox News for this is fair, because it is their channel afterall. They approved the story and hired this totally unfair and, to be frank, very unprofessional "news team."

Maybe a point can be made that it's unfair to attack Fox News as a whole for this one segment. But I'll say this if they treat any other news story as unfair and bias as they treated this Mr. Rogers story...well I wouldn't want to watch that trash, :attitude:.