Watched Season 31 episodes today...

mikealan

Reaction score
Hello. I watched the first two episodes from the year 2000 of Sesame Street today on the new Noggin, but I can't believe that Elmo took over the last thirty minutes of each episode! BTW, these episodes got some great classic clips before Elmo's World. They were...

1) Hand talk-live film segment/song with Big Bird, Cookie Monster and Oscar!
2) Ernie and Bert sing "Imagination"
3) Fat Blue orders a pizza from Grover
4) an old, old AM sketch from 1969 where the cheerleader muppets cheer for the letter F
5) the Teeny Little Super Guy sketch where he stops the argument between two kids where they fight over a swing
6) the cartoon hotel messanger excitedly gets 20 grapefruits
7) surreal counting segment with mythical creatures that shape like numbers that count up to 20
8) Numbers that grow anywhere until it counts up to 20
9) Eight Balls of fur by Little Chrissy
10) The AlphaBoy segment on the letter F
11) Planets, Moon and Stars (sung by Elmo)
12) Letters swing each other that plays the song about the letter V (NOTE: Check to see if i have this clip on the second tape that featured one Unpaved, one 123 and two Electric Copmanies)

That's all i remembered so far.
F and 20 are sponsored on #3883 where Telly tries to clap and play along with Rosita. V and 8 are sponsored on #3857 where Zoe, Rosita, the green girl muppet, Barkley and of course Big Bird sleep over at Gina's.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Mikealan, thanks for the update on these first two S31 episodes. Got a few questions and helpful pointers for you.
The second episode, which I did see, was a sleepover at Gina's apartment. The three girl monsters who initially have permission from Gina for the sleep-over are Zoe, Rosita, and Lulu.
Secondly, I'm a big fan of vintage counting segments and a great fan of mythical monsters/creatures. Due to my level of blindness, I don't have the ability to discern what I'm watching on the TV screen. Could you please provide a full description of this classic counting sketch that you say in the S31 episodes today? Please say which mythical creature was used for each number, how the creature contorted itself to shape their particular number, and how each creature/number changed or passed on to the next creature and number. If there are any pertinent details to the description of what the creatures look like, please include that as well. You can form a reply in the shape of a list, i.e.: Number, Mythical creature, Mythical creature's description, how it changed into its number, and how it mooved on to the next creature and number combo.
Thanks for your help and promptness, and have a good day. Please respond either here on the forum or by sending me an E-mail message titled "Mythical Counters."

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, I have been watching them, and each episode is only like 45 minutes long. It might seem a bit shorter because they don't have the break anymore. Now I do remember that Season 31 did use more classic clips (than they do now, at least), but if there are any, Noggin will actually purposely edit them out.

I actually spoke to Christopher Cerf yesterday (you know, he performs Chis of Chris and the Alphabeats), and he actually spoke with the people at Noggin. And unfortunately, they don't like Sesame Street, because they want to do more modern things. See, Noggin is no longer owned by Sesame Workshop. They are only still showing Sesame Street because of Elmo's World, as kids are only watching Sesame Street because of Elmo's World. Elmo is pretty much the only character they like now. And I think the reason for that is just because it's old.

So, unfortunately, it seems like we'll never be seeing all that great stuff anymore. Chris is upset too, but he knows there's nothing he (or we) can do about it. There aren't that many nostalgic adults in the U.S. who like Sesame Street, or spend time watching kids shows. I told him all the ideas I had, and he didn't think any of them would happen. I told him about TV Land picking them up, the CTW channel, the Classic Children's TV Network, a PBS Classic channel, and the Classic SS DVD Collection. But he doesn't think any of them will happen. I mean, they do have a video collection for the Muppets, but apparently, people don't like the old Sesame Street as much. It's not just kids shows. People don't really like to watch old shows very much, because they had already seen them. I mean, they do have oldies radio stations, but they don't have very many oldies TV channels. Some, but not many. Because there isn't enough of an audience.

mikealan

Reaction score
:mad:

I HATE oldies music! I like the modern music better. And I like both the Muppets and Sesame Street as well. I wish that the old Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, Dinosaurs, the Wubbulous World of Dr. Suess, Muppets Tonight, the Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact, Square One TV, and the current Sesame Street episodes from Season 25 and Season 30 would be back soon and would be shown on the new Henson/CTW channel! And I hate Pokemon, Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo! These cartoons bug me and they annoy me because they want me to daydream the same thing a few years ago...