Watched the Bear for the first time...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:excited: I don't watch Bear in the Big Blue House regularly, but I still enjoy it. Especially Tutter. So, he's a manic little mouse. He cracks me up. :cry:

However, there are a few characters I don't particularly care for. Ojo is one of them. She kind of irritates me, but I guess it's a personality thing. I also find the puppet to be kind of nondescript. Pip and Pop aren't my faves either. I think it has to do with the Barney purple coloring. Shadow isn't high on my list either.:sympathy:

But I absolutely love Bear, Treelo, Luna and Tutter. Wonderful puppetry and loads of personality. The puppets are very attractive as well. :flirt:

I wish the show had more complexity, but it's a kid's program. Nonetheless nobody should be shunned for being passionate about it - especially not on a Muppet forum. Bear is a charming program. Henson should be very proud of it. I have read somewhere that the concept was actually created by Jim Henson. Is that correct or is that a mistake?:confused:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Beauregard
today and I am sorry to say that I hated every minute of it.
It's funny, as since 1997 I love absolutely *every* minute of Bear. I cannot say enough good things about the show, and I am sad to see it go. I mean Tuttler and Trelo, what up!

I have a lot of the dvds, the cds, lots of merch...bottom line, IMHO best darn Muppet franchise since Fraggle Rock.

Originally posted by WiGgY
This is going to sound mean, but it's not meant to sound mean. I think you have a slight problem if you enjoy a children's show this much,
I guess then every one of us on MC has problems then^)^;;

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
But TMS was made for adults. It's stupid present-day soceity that has it labled as "family" and "children". :rolleyes:
That's what I meant. I didn't mean it was MADE for children, just that, it's been labeled as a children's show in, as you stated, today's society.

I know the segments weren't written by the Henson people, but, in one of the Land of Gorch segments from SNL, TMS is mentioned and one of the characters labels it as "family entertainment." ("they won't let us on that show. That's family entertainment.") To which it's replied "Family entertainment? Aren't you family entertainment?" Scred: "H*ll yeah!"

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I have read somewhere that the concept was actually created by Jim Henson. Is that correct or is that a mistake?
That might have been a mistake.

Jim Henson died in 1990.

Bear in the Big Blue House came out in 1997.

....so obviously BITBBH wasn't his show.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I love all the puppets in bear in the blue house but when it is on I dont watch it on a regular basis or anything, people really would think I was odd. I like the show mainly for the great puppetry and the fact that its a henson show and its reall nice to see more puppet shows like this on the tv, they all should be puppets.

I love the bear puppet. Theres another show I think its english called the hoobs and I was having something to eat the other day and it came on so I watched a bit, it wasnt highly entertaining but the puppetry was good and its also a henson production which is great.

from,
Paul :smile: :cry:

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Actually it's not that obviously. Jim could have playing around with the idea before his death. And then someone else could have brought it up again after jim's death and then bring it into production. I don't know if it's Jim's concept or not.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
Actually it's not that obviously. Jim could have playing around with the idea before his death. And then someone else could have brought it up again after jim's death and then bring it into production. I don't know if it's Jim's concept or not.
I thought the same, I think theres Walt Disney movies that originally were Walt Disney's ideas but he died before he could make them so I think they have made some after his death that were his own ideas.
:smile:

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
Bear

:flirt: Bear ROCKS!!!!! :flirt:

I am 32 years old, no children of my own, but I have an 8 year old neice, a 5 year old nephew and a 4 week old nephew. The boys are on my side of the family, the neice is on my husband's side. I've enjoyed Bear for years! My best friend gave me a HUGE plush Bear that goes on trips with me! I can't say enough good thing about Bear either!
He came along at a very good time in my life too. My sister was not married when her first son (the now 5 year old) was born. Even as a toddler my nephew knew that something was different about his family. There was Mom, Grandmom, Grandpop, his aunt and uncle, and that was it. "That guy" (as I now call him) left just after he found out my sister was pregnant. :boo:
Well, Bear's family isn't a mother and father and sibling like so many TV families. We started watching Bear together and it gave him a sense of being normal, even at a very young age. He's now 5, with a GREAT father that he calls Dad, and that's all he knows as his father. I attribute some of "M's" sense of family to how Bear (and his handlers-lol) handle all kinds of issues. Bear is great, and in my book he will always be one of the greats!

P.S. I also LOVE it when he "sniffs". I giggle too :embarrassed:

GonzoGirl

Reaction score
Yes, Bear rocks! I started watching Bear in the Big Blue House on the Disney channel a few weeks ago. It comes on after the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (gotta get my Tigger fix)...one morning, I kept watching, instead of rolling over and going back to sleep, and got hooked on Bear. I'd seen Ojo plushies around, and Bear plushies too, for quite awhile, and always thought they were so cute, but never watched the show....now I think I'm hooked.
:wink::smile::big_grin: