Watchmen, 2009 Movie

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Inspired by Jamie's Coraline, thread, I thought I'd start a thread for the new Watchmen movie.

I am so psyched for this movie. I just finished reading the comic again, which I haven't done since I was in sixth grade, and I'm blown away by how much the promotional material and trailers look so much like the comic. Anyone else excited for this?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I haven't read the comic itself, but know about it. And everything about the movie just blows me away! Just how each and every frame could just be still-framed and then mounted on a wall somewhere as art!

There's very few films that beautiful.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I am very excited. A few things that I've heard from reading the director's notes on different sites:

This is it. He will do no sequel. This is a one-shot film and not a franchise. The director also removed a particular creature element from the climax. Hope that's not a spoiler for those who have read the graphic novel, but I think it's good not to expect that. I'm glad that I know. I don’t quite know how it will work, but apparently he felt it didn’t fit with the rest of the story of the movie. Other than that it is kept surprisingly close to the source material.

So this is 3 weeks away. I expect this to be one of the biggest films of the year (if not the biggest). Critics may not all be kind, but audiences will. This will set the bar for adaptations to come. Or it could bomb, but I don’t think so. :super:

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's difficult to know just what it will do! Because everything about it screams EPIC! But it could be that as soon as the characters actually start moving and talking, it doesn't work at all. Still...I hardly believe that. It's going to be HUGE. I can't wait!

And there's something about this film that just made me want to know everything I could about it before seeing it. Although I haven't read the comic, I practically STUDIED up on the history and story of it all. Hehe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I till don't get the whole epic copyright battle behind this. The Fox VS Warner Bros crap that went down. Could someone explain it for me?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Watchmen legal action synopsis (as I have read)

Fox purchased the rights to release and develop the Watchmen franchise in the 80s. Over the years they either cheapened the concept into a farce or seemed disinterested. There have been so many failed attempts. When approached a few years ago with a screenplay a Fox executive wrote it off as the worst thing he'd ever seen and that it was unfilmable! They passed on the project and insulted it while doing so. Then WB picked it up, made some minor changes and sent it into development. Halfway into shooting - when there was actually some good buzz and press photos - Fox tried to get it shut down. WB worked on and completed the film they had started. So, it's not that Fox wanted to make the film. They didn't even believe in it. They just felt it was still their legal property and didn't want anyone else touching it. WB didn't secure all the legal documents needed to make the picture and have settled the matter by giving Fox an undisclosed sum and a portion of the profits, but not any screen credit. Still, Fox handled this horribly. I put it on them.

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I've never read the graphic novel, but have heard very good (non-spoilery) things about it. I loved V for Vendetta and From **** (again, have yet to read the original graphic novels for either of them and am aware that they may be very different from the films I saw and loved), which were written by the same guy...so I'm positive I'm going to love this movie too.

It looks so epic!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Didn't realize the giant teleporting squid was removed until I read this here! Wonder how they're going to end it? Comedian is my favorite, can't wait to see this play out. Gonna' try and catch it opening night.

Kiki

Reaction score
Cool! Sounds great, plus the comic's awesome. ^_^ That's all I can say. :wink:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Seems like it will be a great movie, but I think I have a thing for Silk Spectre II already...