WB, UPN to Merge Networks

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
CBS, Time Warner to Launch Joint Network
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

NEW YORK — CBS Corp (CBS) and Time Warner Inc.'s (TW) Warner Brothers television network said Tuesday that they will close their respective UPN and WB networks and jointly launch the CW network.

The announcement was made by exectives from CBS, which owns UPN, and Warner Bros., which owns WB.

Both UPN and WB had struggled to compete against larger rivals in the broadcast TV business, including Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) ABC, News Corp.'s (NWS) Fox and CBS Corp.'s CBS.

The new network will launch in the fall, the executives said, and both UPN and WB will shut down. It will be a 50-50 partnership between Warner Bros. and CBS, and the network will be carried on stations owned by the Tribune Co., which is a minority owner of the WB network.

Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Corp., said the new network will air 30 hours of programming seven days a week aimed in part at young audiences.

Barry Meyer, the head of Warner Bros., said the network would be run by the current executives of UPN and WB.
CBS CORPORATION AND WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT FORM NEW 5TH BROADCAST NETWORK
Released by The CW

CBS CORPORATION AND WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT FORM NEW 5TH BROADCAST NETWORK

Each Company To Hold 50% Interest In The CW Television Network

Tribune Broadcasting and CBS Corporation Stations Agree To 10-Year Affiliation Agreements Covering 48% Of The Country

New Television Network To Utilize the Best Programming from CBS Corporation and Warner Bros.

Dawn Ostroff Is Tapped As President of Entertainment At The New Network; John Maatta Will Be Chief Operating Officer

The WB and UPN to Cease Operations in September 2006

January 24, 2006 (New York, NY) — CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced their intent to form a new 5th network, The CW, to be launched in the fall of 2006. The new broadcasting network will be a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation, with each company owning 50%. In an important strategic move that secures major market distribution for The CW, it was announced that Tribune Broadcasting and the CBS Corporation's UPN affiliates have agreed separately to sign 10-year affiliation agreements with the new network.

The announcement for the new network was made today in New York by Leslie Moonves, President and Chief Executive Officer of CBS Corporation and Barry Meyer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Warner Bros. Entertainment. The Tribune Broadcasting affiliation agreements were announced by Dennis FitzSimons, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Tribune Company.

At the same time, it was announced that CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment will cease operations of their respective networks -- UPN and The WB. The WB and UPN will continue to broadcast their respective network schedules independently until the fall.

The combination of Tribune's 16 major market stations and the 12 CBS-owned UPN major market affiliates give The CW instant coverage in 48% of the country. The remainder of the network's distribution system will be a combination of selected current UPN and The WB stations. The full distribution of the new network is expected to exceed 95% of the country.

Dawn Ostroff, currently President of UPN, will become President of Entertainment and John Maatta, currently Chief Operating Officer of The WB, will become Chief Operating Officer of The CW.

"This new network will serve the public with high-quality programming and maintain our ongoing commitment to our diverse audience," said Moonves. "It will clearly be greater than the sum of its parts, delivering excellent demographics to advertisers, and building a strong new affiliate body. Additionally, The CW will be able to draw from the creative talent and production resources from the top two television production studios in the business, while also seeking programming from all sources -- independent producers or other studios. With this move, we will be creating a viable entity, one well-equipped to compete, thrive and serve all our many publics in this multi-channel media universe. I'd like to thank Dawn Ostroff and all the talented people at UPN who have worked so hard. For many years UPN had financial losses, but under CBS's guidance, UPN has been able to effect a dramatic creative turnaround in a short period of time."

"This new network makes sound business and creative sense at every level -- for our viewers, advertisers, affiliates and for the shareholders of our companies," said Meyer. "Every key constituency of the network will now greatly benefit from this combination by being part of a highly rated, competitive, 5th broadcast network that is financially sound. As we form this new joint venture, we are also very pleased that in Dawn and John we have a management team of great creative vision and business acumen, one that will help to guide it successfully forward."

"This is a very exciting day for Time Warner and its shareholders in the creation of what we believe will be a very strong and viable 5th broadcast television network," said Jeff Bewkes, President & Chief Operating Officer of Time Warner. "This new network will have all the strategic asset value as an outlet for our programming that The WB presented us, but with a much firmer and more secure financial present and future. The credit goes to Barry Meyer, who continues to have tremendous vision and extraordinary business acumen as the long time leader of Warner Bros. Entertainment, a company that we are proud to say continues to be number one in its class."

"This is a great day for Tribune and its shareholders, and we are pleased to be the lead affiliate group of what will be a strong network," said FitzSimons. "We could not have had a better partner than Warner Bros. and Barry Meyer since we together launched The WB 11 years ago. Now, with the ownership role of CBS Corporation and the leadership of Leslie Moonves added to the mix, Tribune's viewers and advertisers will benefit from an even stronger programming lineup."

The 16 Tribune affiliated stations will include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Denver, St. Louis, Portland, Indianapolis, San Diego, Hartford, New Orleans and Albany. The 12 CBS Station Group television markets will include Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Norfolk, Oklahoma City and Providence. Together, these top two station groups cover the top 13 television markets, 20 of the top 25 television markets and have a total coverage area of more than 48% of the country.

The CW will incorporate The WB's current scheduling model, which consists of a 6 night-13 hour primetime lineup including Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 (EST/PST); Sundays from 7-10 (EST/PST); Sunday from 5-7 (EST/PST) outside of primetime as well as a Monday thru Friday afternoon block from 3-5 (EST/PST) and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block. Together, the network will program 30 hours a week over seven days for its affiliated stations.

As the top creative executive, Ostroff will have available a line-up of some of the most popular programming that appeals to young adults in the media business. These programming assets range from hit reality series such as "America's Next Top Model" and The WB's "Beauty and the Geek," to hit dramas like The WB's "Smallville," "Gilmore Girls," "Supernatural," and UPN's "Veronica Mars" as well as UPN's hit comedies "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Girlfriends" and The WB's hit comedy "Reba." In addition the WWE's "Smackdown," which has been a mainstay at UPN, is expected to play a role in the schedule.

In addition, The CW will also broadcast the schedule of children's programming now known as Kids' WB!, a 5-hour original programming block on Saturday mornings from 7:00 am-Noon, considered primetime for kids. Kids' WB! has been the broadcast network ratings champion since Fall 2000, capturing 16 consecutive sweep victories as the Number One Saturday morning kids' broadcaster.

All programming, marketing, scheduling, publicity and research functions will report to Ostroff.

Maatta will be responsible for the network's business operations. Bill Morningstar, The WB's Executive Vice President of Advertising Sales will become the head of sales reporting to Maatta. Other responsibilities that will report to Maatta include business affairs, network distribution, legal, finance and human resources.

Meyer added: "This could not have happened without the tremendous energy and talent of Bruce Rosenblum, President of Warner Bros. Television Group and Nancy Tellem at CBS who worked tirelessly and cohesively together to make this new network a reality. I would also like to thank Dennis FitzSimons, who saw the great opportunity this new network presents for the Tribune Company and who continues to be one of the great professionals and broadcasters in the business today."

Moonves added: "This idea becomes a reality only when a great station group like Tribune comes on board with us and delivers the powerful reach a new network requires. With formidable flagship Tribune stations in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, a great CBS line-up of owned and operated UPN stations, and strong affiliates from every available market, The

CW launches as a strong competitor to the Big Four, and that's good for our business, for the viewing audience, and for free, over the air broadcasting. It is also good news for our shareholders, who will benefit from a much stronger business model, improved economics for our stations and new opportunities for our production businesses."

Well there goes that project

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Tribune TV Stations to Lead Affiliate Group of New Network
Released by Tribune

Tribune TV Stations to Lead Affiliate Group of New Network

Long-Term Agreement Covers 16 Markets, Including NY, LA and Chicago

CHICAGO, January 24, 2006 -- Tribune Company (NYSE:TRB) today announced that it agreed to affiliate 16 of its television stations with a new broadcast network, The CW, being launched by Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation. The network will debut this fall and feature the best programs from The WB and UPN networks, both of which will cease operations in September 2006. Tribune stations in seven of the country’s Top 10 television markets will affiliate with the new network, including stations in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago.

"This agreement is a great step forward for our TV group," said Dennis FitzSimons, Tribune chairman and chief executive officer. "Our stations, the communities they serve, and Tribune shareholders will benefit from this long-term affiliation with a network powered by two large, successful studios owned by Time Warner and CBS Corporation."

Tribune owns and operates 26 TV stations in 22 markets across the country, including 19 affiliated with The WB Network. Under the agreement, 16 of those stations will join the new network:

WPIX-TV, New York; KTLA-TV, Los Angeles; WGN-TV, Chicago; WLVI-TV, Boston; KDAF-TV, Dallas; WBDC-TV, Washington, D.C.; KHWB-TV, Houston; WBZL-TV, Miami; KWGN-TV, Denver; KPLR-TV, St. Louis; KWBP-TV, Portland; WTTV-TV, Indianapolis; KSWB-TV, San Diego; WTXX-TV, Hartford; WNOL-TV, New Orleans; and WEWB-TV, Albany. The CW network will provide 13 hours of prime-time programming to the newly affiliated stations: Monday through Friday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. (EST/PST) and Sundays from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. (EST/PST). The network will also program weekday afternoons from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. (EST/PST), Sundays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., and provide a five-hour Saturday morning animation block. The WB Network will continue to operate until this fall, and Tribune’s affiliated stations will continue to air its programming.

"Tribune stations will serve as the major market distribution backbone for what will be a strong network competitor," said John Reardon, Tribune Broadcasting president. "The viewers and advertisers in the markets we serve will benefit."

Tribune and CBS own overlapping WB and UPN affiliates in seven markets: Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Miami and New Orleans. Tribune will be the affiliate in Boston, Dallas, Miami and New Orleans, and CBS will be the affiliate in Philadelphia, Atlanta and Seattle.

"We’re confident that the scale of our television group will enable us to continue to acquire quality syndicated programming, both first-run and off-network, for our three independent stations," said Reardon.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I think it's excellent that they're doing this, because I've been wanting to watch episodes of Everybody Hates Chris on Thursday nights, but I can't, because I've been so caught up with Smallville, which comes on at the same time Chris does.

Now that they're forming the CW, Smallville might come on a hour before Everybody Hates Chris...on the same channel!!:excited:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Awsome. Can't wait to see what they air.
Uh, it'll probably be what they're airing now. :big_grin:

The only show I watch on UPN is "Everybody Hates Chris." The only show I watch on The WB is "7th Heaven" (which is ending anyway) and the "8 Simple Rules" reruns (which are new to me). Several members of my family, notably my mom and sister, watch "America's Next Top Model." So this CW will have to do a lot to impress me, but good look to 'em...although it's a lame name.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is terrible! Don't you know what airs on UPN everyday at 4:00? M*A*S*H! Do you know who I once saw on WB? Kathy Greenwood! Do youknow what airs on WGN? AFV!
This is terrible!!! Why do they keep doing this?! Don't they know change is a dangerous thing?!

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
This is terrible! Don't you know what airs on UPN everyday at 4:00? M*A*S*H! Do you know who I once saw on WB? Kathy Greenwood! Do youknow what airs on WGN? AFV!
This is terrible!!! Why do they keep doing this?! Don't they know change is a dangerous thing?!
Don't forget D'Snowth that network programming begins at 8 PM (7 Central time), before that time, it's your local UPN station that shows you MASH at 4 PM. Other local UPN stations around the country show different things at that time. In Los Angeles the local UPN station shows repeats of 'Fear Factor' at 4 PM.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh well, at least I've still got the Hallmark channel to watch M*A*S*H multiple times a day!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I pretty much just watch the WB for Gilmore Girls and I don't really watch anything on UPN, so I'm not sure if the change will really affect me all that much. I do hope that it doesn't affect Gilmore Girls though, I think they're going to have at least one more season this fall.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I wonder if this is going to affect me at all. I've had digital cable for about a month, and I discovered last week that I actually get the WB now (you can't get it in Canada on cable, you have to have digital or sattelite). Normally stuff like Smallville we get on other stations. So there wasn't really a need.

But my quandry is, though I get the WB, I don't think I get UPN. So would I get this new channel at all? :/ Anyone have a guess?