We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

Mupp

Reaction score
I will say I've been worried, but I do have some faith in them. Seems like their characters may just be partial focus, popping in on the characters during a bad time, when they core characters are flipping out about having to save the studio.
That has concerned me as well, but yes, I'm just trying to have faith.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
You know, for all the talk of how he lacks detail and might fit better on SST, I just had an amusing thought in my "just woke up for work" stupor ... a Bert/Ernie-like gag where he tries to fit in by "accessorizing" his face. Heck, even bring back Vend-A-Face as well, LOL.

Mupp

Reaction score
Granted, Walter's design does look a bit simple, but in the long-run I really don't think that its a big deal.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Granted, Walter's design does look a bit simple, but in the long-run I really don't think that its a big deal.
I understand why people are making a big deal out of it. If Walter is going to be one of the main--or even supporting--players in this new movie, he does need to stand out. Granted, in my opinion I think it's the personality of the character that will make or break him, but the design is indeed very important.

On that note... I actually like the design. No, he's not intricately gorgeous like Dr. Teeth or Gonzo, but there are some subtle nuances to Walter--eyebrows, eyelids, and an extremely earnest face. No, Walter isn't the most attractive puppet, but I think that's the point of him. I get an immediate Fozzie-esque vibe from this VERY simple picture of the puppet. I think what really impresses me about Walter at this point is how he exactly represents each and every one of us Muppet fans. Who among us would not have that exact same pose if we were in Walter's position? He's beyond thrilled to be in that room. I think seeing the actual puppet--and not the poser--in action will make a big difference. He's muuuuuch better looking than Angelo.

I don't think there needs to be any concern about this movie being another human in a starring role feature. If we have learned anything from the years we've been listening to Segel talk about the Muppets... it's that he's a huge fan of the original three movies--all of which were driven by Kermit. I don't think we have any reason to fear that this one won't do the same. Yes, maybe it will be driven by Gary and Walter in the beginning, but I firmly believe that once they find Kermit the movie will switch gears and become another Kermit the Frog shoots for the stars picture that we all love to see.

Slackbot

Reaction score
To be honest, lately I look at Gonzo, see his poor eye focus, mouth that doesn't seem to want to close right, and overall unwell expression, and wonder if he has recently suffered a stroke. As a Gonzo fan I really want to like the puppet they're looking, but... ouch. Get the poor guy to a doctor.

As for Princeton - er, Walter - I agree with those who say he looks kinda bland and blah. However, an important part of the puppet is how he is performed. I want to hear the little guy's voice and see him in action before I decide whether I like him or not.

By the way, recently the Muppets have dropped mentions of their having gone separate ways. The podcast with The Nerdist is the best example of this. It occurs to me that they could have been planting seeds for the theme of this movie, which, according to the recent EW spread, is about the Muppets reuniting to try to save the old theater from demolition.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think there needs to be any concern about this movie being another human in a starring role feature. If we have learned anything from the years we've been listening to Segel talk about the Muppets... it's that he's a huge fan of the original three movies--all of which were driven by Kermit. I don't think we have any reason to fear that this one won't do the same. Yes, maybe it will be driven by Gary and Walter in the beginning, but I firmly believe that once they find Kermit the movie will switch gears and become another Kermit the Frog shoots for the stars picture that we all love to see.
That's what I'm hoping... for Gary and Walter to be the moving force behind the movie, but for the Muppets to be the front and center focus for the action. I'm wondering if Walter was based on concepts provided by the writing team. I get the design, I get why they're going the little shrimpy looking AM style. Where as Angelo was a puppet design based on a quick Photoshop removal of the Chef when they decided to go another direction. Why they didn't make another puppet and photoshop the entire thing in is beyond me... but that's another story. Besides, if they gave him blonde hair, he kinda looks like Michael Cera...

I still think new Gonzo looks wrong. Completely off somehow... and he looks stiffer to puppeteer. I hope this is just a production photo Gonzo, and we get a better one for the movie. or at least for future projects.

Mupp

Reaction score
I still think new Gonzo looks wrong. Completely off somehow... and he looks stiffer to puppeteer. I hope this is just a production photo Gonzo, and we get a better one for the movie. or at least for future projects.
I agree.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Luckily, I made a point NOT to read any early scripts. That way, I don't set myself up for disappointment if changes occur.

Because obviously, things can always change.

There is a difference between constructive criticism, and just plain saying "this is wrong, I don't like it!"

As far as I'm concerned, both Angelo and Walter have the Muppet look.

Could it be that some people are just jaded?

After all, most of us first saw Kermit and the rest of the gang when we were young kids. And kids tend to be much less discriminatory.

Could it be that some people now just expect more than when they were kids?

The bottom line is, if Angelo and Walter were smack-dab in the middle of the original Muppet Movie final, or in one of the famous group shots with Jim Henson, no one here would bat an eye.

Its only because they are new that they are being judged so much.
Very well put.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who's willing to stand up and defend both Angelo and Walter and agree that they ARE Muppety, both in appearance and in personality.

And, indeed, it's not about the designs of the puppets. It's about the personalities and performances.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Speaking as someone who has seen this Gonzo puppet performed in person I can tell you that Dave doesn't seem to have any problem with him. In fact, he seemed more alive behind the weirdo than ever. Dave really seemed to be a fan of the new eye mechanism and also a nose mechanism that allowed his nose to squeeze in towards his mouth with the squeeze of a ball. I would assume that these are the reasons for the weird new design. I'm not a fan of this puppet version either... but it could look quite a bit worse.