1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

We Need Another Movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by D'Snowth, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

[slams hand down on table]

THAT'S IT! :electric: I just realized what Disney should do with the Muppets.

I flipped through the channels and found a Cars short cartoon on Disney channel inbetween two of their shows. They also have those Mickey Mouse shorts, as well as a pre-show series of Star Wars Rebel shorts on XD, while Gravity Falls shorts filled the gap in between the year long wait between seasons.

Soooo.... what would be a logical next step would be a series of 5 minute or less Muppet Show style shorts featuring Muppet characters to put in-between shows. They have a place for them on television, and they tend to post those online as well. If a full format TV series won't work, his is the next best thing.

2. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

3. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I honestly thought that was what we would get with the Muppesode thing they did with the food trucks.

4. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

Maybe they should put the Muppisodes on first, and if those work, make an actual series. They could air on Disney Junior like Cars Toons and replace that god-awful Nina Needs to Go! show. (And if you don't know what that is, be glad).

That was funny! I saw the short at a Disney Store in Lancaster and couldn't stop laughing at the beginning!

I think the next Muppet movie, if we do get one, should be "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made". Who's with me?

5. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Why should they put muppets on Disney Junior when all his life Jim wanted the muppets to be more for adults and a family audience, so that would be a disgrace to him. Besides, they would probably air Disney Drive-On which already has six episodes, muppisodes only has one episode.

6. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Disney Junior? You have got to be kidding me right? It's bad enough there's this stigma today that, the Muppets are only for kids. Again do I have to post that interview where Kermit says they don't try to do what they do for kids?! :rolleyes:

Muppet Master likes this.
  7. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

^Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

8. Muppet Master

Let us just stick to a web series. We all know the muppets just can not fare well in today's prime time atmosphere and neither could they twenty years ago, and who is to blame them, no show really lasts on TV anymore, there are tons of shows canceled compared to the ones renewed. If you do not get good ratings or develop your show in the first two episodes than into the cancellation bear's mouth you go. Who knows how many shows could have found an audience and become a cult classic if it had just lasted one more season, well we will never know. This is why the muppets belong on the internet, because you simply can not get cancelled, there is no way, you can make 1,000 episodes of a web series without worrying about getting the can. The internet is like what television used to be when a show could develop, so I strongly think that the muppets need some sort of web series, and with that said I think TMS reruns on some non-cable channel would be something to consider so the muppets can find an audience.

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  9. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

The Muppets basically have the same problem they've had for the past couple decades - they do a major project then take too long deciding what the next major project should be that by the time it finally happens, they've "cooled" and it becomes another "comeback".

Even between The Muppets and MMW, even though the decision to make a sequel was done rather quickly, there was still do much time between the two and they weren't really doing anything between aside from dvd promotion. They went from the 2011 movie and major fullscale promotion to another major promo blitz when the dvd came out. Crickets. Promotional blitz for MMW where they had to get back into the public eye after having laid low for awhile (which is what i think affected the performance) then another promo blitz for MMW dvd.

But the thing is instead of doing a whole bunch of things around a release, they should be a fairly constant stream of little but effective things in between to keep their momentum going. Things like the Muppisodes (of which there should have been more) or just viral videos not connected with plugging the films should have been rolling out on the regular to keep up the interest. Keep things rolling like traveling on a highway regular and fast, not like a bus stopping then starting, stopping then starting. Keep them from "going anywhere" so they don't have to make a "comeback" when the next Biggie project is ready because they won't have gone anywhere.

I think part of that comes from the current organizational structure of The Muppets within Disney. At first there was a specific Muppets Studio division first headed up by Chris Curtin which was getting the Muppets off to a great start getting them out with multiple platforms and that was going well until internal politics across Disney leadership took him out and replaced with Russell Hampton who really wasn't a "Muppet person" and didn't really care too much about his job in that position. Thankfully that was shortlived and Lylle Breier took his place and it was more what you saw with Curtin's tenure but better (with some slight monkey wrenches thrown in the mix with the writers strike period). It was the various seeds Breier was planting that caused the Muppets' popularity to grow and lay the groundwork for the success they had with the 2011 movie. But around that time, from what i've been able to gather (i've never really gotten any clear answers on this), the operational structure of the Muppets, once they started working on the movie shifted to where Breier was no longer actually in charge of them and they've since basically been handled/managed by the movie promotion team. They need another Lylle Breier (if not herself back in the position) specifically looking after the Muppet franchise's best interests on a constant basis and not just patchwork streams of promotion once a movie or dvd is "ready". (And when doing the promotional blitz for the dvds, they need to remember that not everyone has blu-ray and that good extras need to be on both dvd and blu-ray - otherwise you're leaving out part of your target audience and wasting all this great new stuff on only a portion of those who will be able to view them thus creating a level of apathy in those who would normally be excited about the home release.)

Viral videos need to be a big part of that strategy again - we need the kind of stuff they were doing in the late 00's between projects as well as a return to what muppets.com was like at that time with regular updates and inspired random lunacy.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Duke Remington, jvcarroll and Drtooth like this.
  10. Drtooth

i was thinking, maybe... not Disney Junior? The Disney channel and Disney XD have shorts as well. Cars, Mickey Mouse, Star Wars Rebels preview Shorts... none of those need a preschool audience.

ugh... if I hear Muppet's Cheapest Movie one more time on this site, I swear... at this point, I'd rather have Muppet Wizard of Oz 2 then that film. I'm going to start a thread on why MCM would be a bad project one of these days.

As I've said a hundred times, the franchise is stronger than one movie. MMW basically made just under what MCC did. Guess what movie has been so vindicated by home video that it's become one of the most popular Muppet films outside the fanbase? Of course, apples and oranges on count of one being holiday related... but Muppets have never made that much money. TM's almost 90 Million opening was the second most successful Muppet movie after the first. The other famous classics have settled in the 50-60 range. Whatever the reason, classic style, non-hip plotline, Ricky Gervais turning off hipsters and family conservative minds alike, following in a long line of kid's movies with that lucky piece of crap The Nut Job settling into a nice slot before Lego and Peabody tired everyone out. Seriously... *&^%$ the Nut Job. Had it been released in the Summer it would have made less than that Legends of Oz piece of crap. Maybe Disney should just dump the next movie on a January.

Measuring franchises based on movies is a lousy reality, mostly built on impatience. You either see the film do poorly and the cartoon/comic/whatever is never seen again (until the next reboot), or the film doing so well that you see nothing but the film version. The only thing that really seemed to be immune is TMNT, as the current Nickelodeon cartoon is more successful at bring the characters back than the movie, even though the movie was pretty successful. I see more and more toon Turtles stuff than movie Turtles. Just, like, action figures and a Crush Soda tie in. We'd be here all day if I listed all the stuff the toon turtles was slapped on. From Go-Gurt to (and I kid you not) watering cans. Seriously... The Muppets have had 7 previous theatrical movies, 4 DTV specials that are still in print, a 5 season TV show (which they only released 3 seasons of)... Disney has a lot of previous Muppet stuff to make money off of. T-shirts alone would make a decent amount.

As for the promotion, DW hit the nail on the head. Disney's strange cautiousness kept the Muppets out of the public eye in between TM and MMW. Then they saturated everything with Muppets just before the movie hit. They put out too much too fast, instead of a steady stream of non-promotional appearances and web videos. Web videos make all the difference. The ALS ice bucket thing with Kermit alone has well over a million views. That speaks louder than a film ever can. We need more things like Bohemian Rhapsody and the single Muppisode. And we need it in between major projects.

11. Muppet Master

Actually, muppet movies have made quite some money over the years. TMM made over $200 million adjusted and was one of the top ten highest grossing films of the year. GMC made about $90 million adjusted, and was the 21th highest grossing film of the year. After that nothing really was all that popular until TM'11, but my point is the muppets are not exactly strangers to getting big box office numbers.

12. Drtooth

No, but that was 2 movies. MTM, MCC, and MTI made more modest numbers, adjusted. FTB really didn't make too much, but it's been considered an important part of Sesame Street retroactively.

And look at Labyrinth. The biggest Henson money loser there is. Is it forgotten? Absolutely not. It's been referenced by Scooby-Doo, Secret Mountain Fortress Awesome, Family Guy, and Venture Bros. among others (almost by Gravity Falls). It has a thriving fanbase that found it on home video, and it's actually more relevant now with the prominence of Fan Fiction. Sarah almost seems like a brutal parody of certain kinds of fan fic writers in hindsight!

You never know what film gets saved by home video. A movie doesn't stop making movie when it's out of theaters.

13. Pinkflower7783

14. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Honestly a Electric Mayhem movie with Maroon 5 would be the best thing ever! Obviously have other bands but having Maroon 5 would be awesome

15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

You should've seen how many people on Tumblr/Instagram were showing they got MMW on DVD/Blu-ray. It was nutz.

LouisTheOtter and muppetlover123 like this.
  16. Pinkflower7783

I should mention there were only three blurays left at my local Walmart yesterday.

jvcarroll and JimAndFrank like this.
  17. ConstantineFan

ConstantineFan New Member

We will probably get another movie, because Disney helps their own sales by buying copies of the Movie for every Muppet, every Disney employee, and every celebrity, who was in the movie.

18. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

From where I sit, the question will ultimately come down to whether Disney feels that the concept of creating quality Muppet material and being known as the studio that kept the beloved Muppet franchise going trumps the sting of a less-than-stellar box office performance for MMW.

Think back on the past year's Muppet output. It would be one thing if all that we - and Disney - got out of this was a great Muppet movie. But the advertising tie-ins proved a couple of very important things:
    (a) Major companies are still willing to join forces with the Muppets to sell their products (the Toyota ads ran in North America for a good two months after it was clear that MMW wasn't going to smash box-office records); and:
    (b) Even within the limited framework of advertising campaigns, amazing things can happen with the Muppets. That "Animals in New York" Lipton Tea ad is a piece of genius and deserves its place among the Muppets' all-time best work.

We may not see a theatrical movie for awhile yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we will get one, possibly in 2019 or 2020. But I think that the Disney suits and the creative team alike are aware that a third movie mining the TMS vibe won't do. I dearly hope that the next Muppet movie project, be it theatrical or direct-to-video, restricts its focus to one or two specific characters (or a fixed group like the Electric Mayhem) instead of stuffing as much of the cast as possible into a 90-t0-120-minute format.

In the meantime, I recommend a regular stream of virals with the hopes of some sort of TV relaunch. Virals are relatively inexpensive to produce but make a huge impact in the social-media landscape. (Think of the Cookie Monster and Kermit ALS ice bucket challenge videos, how quickly they came together, and how much people love them.)

Just DON'T WASTE THE MUPPET MOMENTUM, Disney.

jvcarroll likes this.
  19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

They don't buy their own product.

20. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

lots of great ideas, I think we can all agree that the Muppets should continue making more web videos. I think a clever move would be to begin making new TMS sketches available online. Pigs in Space, Bear on Patrol, Vets Hospital, Swedish Chef, Muppet Labs, Fozzie's Jokes plus new skits. A new online Muppet sketch each week which can then be used as Muppet Shorts to be aired on The Disney Channel between shows (I really liked that idea).

This way the Muppets can get back to what they do best putting on a show just leaving out all the backstage drama until they eventually get a new tv show which I am sure will happen someday. Now the thing is that this time when they become bigger and popular online like they did last time they can't forget about the internet and move on to cinema they need to remain on the internet all the time even if it's for 3-5 minutes on a weekly basis. If The Muppets announce that they'll have a new movie in two years then for those two years they need to continue making online videos. It's a shame they didn't continue with the viral videos perhaps MMW would have had a much bigger fan base.

At the same time the Muppets need to think out of the box and do something new online. What can they do? I have no idea but the Muppets have always been about taking something ordinary and making it something extraordinary so it's time to think out of the box.

LouisTheOtter and jvcarroll like this.