1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

The new Batman is good, but I'll wait for Blu-ray to see it again. Anne Hathaway contributed a stronger performance than I would have guessed. As much as I love Nolan's telling of Batman, now that this series is done I hope they go with something a little closer to the comics/animated series the next time the Dark Knight rises.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I decided to wait a week for Batman... not so much for the one isolated incidednt that clouded the film's release, but for the warning of large crowds AND the fact that something I thought was coming up didn't, so I didn't think I'd be able to have seen it anyway (but could). Oh well, at least I got the fifth season of The Batman at Five Below.

it is a little disappointing that Batman didn't overtake Avengers. I wonder how it would have done without that tragedy... which again, was an isolated incident. meanwhile Avengers is still pulling in small amounts of dough. I REALLY hope it overtook Titanic by now.

Funny thing is, I'd consider seeing Ice Age 4 only AFTER I see Batman. The pirate gorilla intrigues me. And then there's that short Maggie Simpson cartoon.
  3. jvcarroll

It's merely due to the higher ticket prices of the Avengers in 3D.
  4. Drtooth

Yeah, but for some reason that doesn't count as different. Same as how matinee tickets are cheaper than nighttime ones. They don't count the number of tickets sold, just the over all amount of cash the films make. It would be far too difficult to calculate single tickets, right?

And for some reason I thought Batman was 3-D. I know they have Imax, though.
  5. Drtooth

I finally got to see Dark Knight Rises, and it was just as extraordinary as everyone says it was. Bane was much more than the big guy that usually just beats up Batman, and the film was richer for adding that depth to him. I especially like how Catwoman wasn't even mentioned by name (like TwoFace was). But the thing that really made the film sing? It tied the whole thing together, moreso the first one than the second.

Even if the competition wasn't extremely weak, this is the best and frankly only useful third super hero movie ever made. But again, you have Spider-Man 3, Superman 3, Batman Forever, and (I'll add it because it counts in my book) TMNT 3. All DKR had to do was not wet itself to be better than those films. But as far as it stacks up against itself, I can say that it completely outdoes the first, but I'm torturing myself if I think it is a better film than the second. I'd say that's a close call.

I noticed a couple spoiler related things... unlike the betrayed Clowns facing their doom at the hands of The Joker at the beginning of the second film, it seems the one henchman of Bane's that was left to die was willing to for the cause. That's an impressive contrast. Also, it REALLY helped the big reveal at the end that I forgot Ra's Ah Ghoul had a daughter... even though I saw at least 2 Batman cartoons where she had an appearance. D'OH! And finally, this film closed up as many loose ends as possible. I mean, there's potential for a Nightwing spinoff with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but I hope that never happens.

Overall, I'm just bummed because, there's going to have to be Batman films in the future. I know Nolan cannot be the end all be all, but you still got to wonder about the direction the film series is going to take.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

If it went back to Tim Burton I'd be happy, hehe. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Nolan did. His version of the Joker was great for the modern era. Honestly I think most of my annoyance is directed at Bale and his ridiculous Batman voice, lol. I just could never take him seriously.
  7. Drtooth

Dear sweet Glob no! The movie would feature Johnny Depp as Joker and Helen Carter as Harley Quinn and that would be the whole movie. When he did the first 2 Batman movies, he was a young dynamo that gave us a visionary world. Now he's stuck in his ways, locked into a comfort zone of same actors, same writers, same employes all around, and same style. And anything is better than Joel Schumacker. I kinda dug Forever (even though Twoface was Joker 2.0), but no one likes Batman and Robin. I've said it a hundred times... there's no wrong way to do Batman, except that.

I want to see someone talented and fresh faced that can find a go between between the cartoony stylization of Tim Burton's films and the dark gritty realism of Nolan's films. That's the line comic book movies all have to walk. Often times, they veer too far off on the realism, and it screws up the film's suspension of disbelief. Batman's a lucky comic book character. A lot of the mythos is realistic and could hypothetically happen. He doesn't have super powers, most of his key villains are just as mortal as he is. Meanwhile, they worried over the Hulk too much in 2 films, but managed to get him just right in Avengers, a film that didn't take itself too seriously and a film that KNOWS it's a comic book with aliens.

There is one major thing about Nolan's Batman films, however... they're the only successful DC comics films they had. Superman Returns was so fussed over that it set itself up to fail (didn't help with the crap about him having an illegitimate son and LEAVING him). Green Lantern showed and exaggerated all the problems with origin stories (and yet it demands a sequel, since Sinestro's story was the most interesting bit of the film, and yet the most truncated). And who even wanted to see Jonah Hex? Worst thing is, they want to build a Justice League movie on the same ground Avengers did. I don't think they can have that many successful films to lead up to it.
  8. heralde

You are right about that. I guess I'm saying I want 1980's Tim Burton back. But don't we all, lol.
  9. jvcarroll

I was personally disappointed in this last bat-installment. I'd personally like to see a quazi-real-world version of Batman: The Animated Series. Something that's in between Burton's visuals and Nolan's grit. No need to reboot. Just hit the ground running with compelling stories of the classic graphic novel version of Batman t at different places on the time line. They only have two hours to tell a story, so they should just cut to the meat.

Just imagine the classic Joker and Harley Quinn with their henchmen and hyena pets. That relationship has never been done in live action. Imagine something kind of like the Arkham Asylum video game. That could be fun too. There are endless possibilities with Batman that I feel were squandered in this last film. The first two were pitch perfect.
    Bannanasketch likes this.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I saw the Dark Knight Rises a week or so ago and the thing that stood out to me the most was the LACK OF BATMAN. We don't see him for about a half-hour-forty five-minutes, then he's gone 20 or so minutes later, and doesn't show up until the last half-hour again. And I agree with Doug Walker in that his voice was quite exaggerated, which at times was pointless because he'd be speaking to people who already knew his identity.
    heralde and jvcarroll like this.
  11. heralde

When I saw The Dark Knight I couldn't help but laugh in the theater every time he spoke; I mean what were they thinking? To try so hard to affect this over the top tough voice just makes it sound like his own voice must not be adequate and needed enhancement. It felt like an emperor's new clothes deal; everyone afraid to admit there's something wrong here, lol.
  12. Drtooth

Voice didn't bug me at all. A little over the top, sure. But I'm sure if he talked with his natural voice, it would be worse.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that was the point. It really was an ensemble piece, and the film seemed to be equal parts about Gordon, Selena Kyle, Bane, and Bruce coming to terms with needing to be Batman again.

Actually, I do have one complaint. They spent a little too much time in the pit for my taste. They should have shown his failed attempts to clime out in smaller "montage" style segments, with that prisoner's dialogue overlapping it. The second and third failed attempts did drag the movie's pace down. I don't mind that it took that long for Batman to enter the film, but a good 5-10 minutes could have been shaved from that part.

I'd rather something in the style of Arkham Asylum than Batman TAS. TAS was a great version of the character, but it's really time to give it a rest. Mark Hammil retired from voicing the Joker, which is something that I both am a little disappointed in and also completely agree with.

I want to see them try something with multiple villains all working together, sort of like the 1966 film, only for more sinister purposes. Something with one or two major Batvillains and one or two obscure ones. Maybe not Joker, though... give Two-Face another chance and make him an underworld Kingpin this time. I don't know if it's possible to add Robin in there without it being goofy.

But I want something that takes us in the middle of a story. If it's one thing both sets of Batman films got perfect, it's that the origin was told in flashback form in a matter of minutes. Imagine if they took Green Lantern fresh into a battle with Sinestro? Much better film than they had.

But that brings me to the next Superman movie. Looks like a LOT of that's going to be origin and him growing up. Dude, we had 9 years of that on Smallville. Sheesh... talk about Batman showing up halfway through the film... took 9 years to become Superman. I'm almost glad it's over. He would have been in his late 40's before he became Superman.
  13. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

Here Are This Weekend's Box-Office Results!!
    1 1 The Dark Knight Rises WB $62,101,451 -61.4% 4,404 - $14,101 $287,112,810 $250 2
    2 2 Ice Age: Continental Drift Fox $13,352,646 -34.6% 3,869 -17 $3,451 $114,899,860 - 3
    3 N The Watch Fox $12,750,297 - 3,168 - $4,025 $12,750,297 $68 1
    4 N Step Up Revolution Sum. $11,731,708 - 2,567 - $4,570 $11,731,708 $33 1
    5 4 Ted Uni. $7,353,150 -26.6% 3,129 -85 $2,350 $193,618,750 $50 5
    6 3 The Amazing Spider-Man Sony $6,701,111 -38.4% 3,160 -593 $2,121 $241,953,721 $230 4
    7 5 Brave BV $4,305,153 -28.5% 2,551 -348 $1,688 $217,329,672 $185 6
    8 6 Magic Mike WB $2,619,128 -39.0% 2,075 -531 $1,262 $107,625,983 $7 5
    9 7 Savages (2012) Uni. $1,838,215 -45.9% 1,414 -922 $1,300 $43,983,785 $45 4
    10 9 Moonrise Kingdom Focus $1,434,904 -21.7% 853 -42 $1,682 $38,641,403 $16 10
    11 8 Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection LGF $1,308,870 -41.9% 1,111 -429 $1,178 $62,736,167 $20 5
    12 10 To Rome with Love SPC $1,000,279
    jvcarroll likes this.
  14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Just saw Batman (Finally!) and here are my thoughts (may contain spoilers) written as a series of glaring omissions:

#1 Batman
    #2 Any kind of darkness
    #3 Any feeling that Gotham is anything other than New York/Chicargo
    #4 Any normal people to care for (were we supposed to care for Miranda?) What were we supposed to feel that Batman even came back for? Was Alfred even in Gotham when it broke down? Why did we never get to see that?
    #5 Anyone taking control of the city (When Bane took over and handed "back" the power to the people, Penguins and Riddlers and all sorts would immediately be taking to the streets and civil war would have broken out)
    #6 Oracle (Sure, she's never existed in movies, but how the heck does Batman just happen to know exactly where everyone is situated at any given time without someone like her? i.e. Selena Kyle and "John"?)
    #7 Violence (Sure, they went for a low rating (12A here) but surely for Batman to truly be Batman is needs more bone-crunching and less long-distance-shootings?

Things that I did actually think were awesome and realistic:

#1 Jim Gordon

Yup. Just that.
    jvcarroll likes this.
  15. jvcarroll

Also, the streets of Gotham were extraordinarily clean even after the criminals took over and of course garbage service would have been canceled. This movie didn't make much sense. I liked it, but it's my least favorite of the three. Batman Begins gave me high hopes for Nolan's vision only to end in this half-baked finale.
  16. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Exactly! And the PEOPLE. Where are the dirty clothes, the haggard skin, the sunken eyes? Everyone looks practically airbrushed. Where is the dirty poverty that sets Gotham apart and makes it often forgotten by the rest of America?
    jvcarroll likes this.
  17. jvcarroll

This is is the Batman that I'm looking forward to...​
    Bannanasketch likes this.
  18. Drtooth

Anyone actually dragged to Ice Age? If they saw it in 2-D, does it have the Maggie cartoon, or was that 3-D exclusive?

I really wish there was more time for the Arkham Inmates to go nuts and escape, rather than all that time blown with Bruce Wayne in the hole. They could have had the potential for some nice Easter Eggs and nods to characters they couldn't fit in the movie otherwise. Apparently, there's an aside in the novelization where they mention the Joker escaped (could have been a deleted sequence). But also, that would have cost another couple million.

Could have been a little more mob rule, though.

Still, I find this film better than the first. I really enjoyed the first, but there was something the second one brought to the table that improved upon it. The entire Joker angle was better than anything in the first.

Still, here's the reasons I liked this film:

• Bruce didn't randomly travel back in time to Feudal Japan
    • Bruce didn't have crazy cartoonish emo- dance moments
    • No Big Lipped Alligator moment where a computer entraps a woman and she becomes a robot and is never mentioned in the movie ever again
    • And... uh... well, I kinda dug Batman Forever, so... eh, let's say Batman and Robin. Slightly disappointing is still better than devastating.
  19. jvcarroll

Total Recall 2012
    :ouch:/:ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:
    (1 star out of 5)
    Unless you're a Colin Farrell fan, and he's not bad to look at, then avoid this boring, pointless, humorless remake. I had such high hopes. The critics are right. It blows.

On the other hand, Ice Age 4 was actually really fun! Wanda Sykes steals the movie!
    :zany: :zany: :zany:/:zany: :zany: :zany: :zany::zany: (3 stars out of 5)
  20. Drtooth

Total Recall was a movie that wasn't that good in the first place, and became a cult hit for being campy and ridiculous and having AhhNold as the star. Why would anyone even try to remake that? The first one managed to capture some unintentional goofball lightning in a bottle. Trying to give something an edgy reboot that doesn't need edge, in fact, can get hurt by edge just proves that Hollywood will run to familiar ideas rather than risk losing money... and TOTALLY losing money in the process. \

Seriously... a serious remake of Total Recall is like making a Rocky Horror Picture Show, removing all the music, playing Dr. Frankenfurter off straight, and just upping the Horror aspect. Which would also be played straight. Makes no sense.

What's next? A gritty reboot of Plan 9 from outer Space?

I'm forcing myself to see that today. It seems less and less likely there will be a Maggie cartoon, since I can no longer find the film in 3-D in theaters. They said that was exclusive. Personally, I'm just a little intrigued by the Gorilla Pirates.
    jvcarroll likes this.