Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm so glad Frozen topped over the Hunger Games. It deserves the money a lot more than the H.G. series if you ask me.

The fact that Frozen topped Catching Fire might just be enough for Disney to make a sequel right there. It's the highest-grossing animated film for Disney ever. I smell a sequel brewing at Disney Animation.

Both films are actually good. They pass the Bechdel test and empower their female characters more than most, if any, films that came out this year.

(The Bechdel test asks whether a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. It's a surprisingly rare occurrence.)

I doubt a theatrical "Frozen" sequel will happen, but they might revisit the characters for the home video market. I kind of hope they leave them be.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt a theatrical "Frozen" sequel will happen, but they might revisit the characters for the home video market. I kind of hope they leave them be.
Thankfully, Disney really hasn't done much of that after The little Mermaid 3 was too deep into production to cancel. Planes was intended to be a series of films, so that doesn't count. I'd say, other than some magazine comics and kid's books, there's not much else of a place to revisit the characters. I am sort of glad Disney hasn't been engaging in DTV cheapquels. On the other hand, we never got the epic second Hercules which was based off the original treatment of the film (the Trojan war) or any other DTV Mickey and Co movies.

But we'll see LOTS of Frozen girl's merchandise. The main female character will somehow be inducted into the Princesses.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Frozen is a truly incredible Disney masterpiece. It's the greatest Disney film we've seen in a long time.
Besides the incredible stunning 3D visuals, the music in the film is amazing with great voice actors as well, and some really great comedy.

I agree with Jamie, I don't want a sequel, but I have a feeling that they'll make one anyway. Wreck-It-Ralph was already calling a sequel before it even came out, and that films' money isn't even half of what Frozen made at the box-office.

I'll also be seeing Saving Mr. Banks on Thursday. I think it'll be good.

Frozen was pretty good. "Let it Go" is a beautiful piece of song and movie making. "Fixer Upper" is on opposite end of the spectrum, kinda; it's a catchy song, but it sounds way too Broadway and didn't seem to fit in the movie. I also don't really think IM's voice fit the design of her character.

Agreed. If I had to make a list of my favorites, "Fixer Upper" would probably be at the bottom.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ralph has unexplored depths that wouldn't detract from the film if they added onto it. It made a decent amount of money, but found older fans of retro games flocked to the movie instead of the snot eating 6 year olds who just wanted to see more farting prehistoric characters saying. The makers of the film really want to do a sequel, which sounds promising since it's not a sequel forced on them by the studio (and they had one too many of those as it is). If nothing else, they promised to find a good spot for Mario and Luigi (they couldn't last time, and Mario only got a mention in passing) in the next film. Frankly, Mario and Luigi need to appear in another movie so we can all forget about that horrible live action film. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo is trying too hard to pretend the 1986 anime Mario movie ever existed, even though releasing it on DVD stateside would be a license to print money.

But Frozen seems to have broken the girly barrier that kept Tangled from reaching it's B.O. potential and prevented little kids from bothering with Princess and the Frog and flocking to the Chipmunks sequel. I guess the Snowman guy found a lot of fans in children.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like that Disney's Dinosaur movie knockoff thing (based on a BBC documentary miniseries from almost 15 years ago) only managed to gross about a quarter million of its $80 mil. budget, both domestic and international combined! It was a bad call to release it when Frozen was still making the big bucks!

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=walkingwithdinosaurs.htm

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear that movie was made only in anticipation of ripping off The Good Dinosaur, and getting it in before then.

Other than that, it looked dreadful. Just the same lame attempts at children's humor that lousy kid's movies keep limping on.

mr3urious

Reaction score
From what I've heard, it was also supposed to be totally silent, but voices and narration were added on after the fact.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I really don't think this new film is a facsimile of Disney's Dinosaur. This film has been in the works for years and stems from the documentary Walking with Dinosaurs. That said, it looks awful. Just in its own right. :stick_out_tongue: