Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Since JVCarroll Wasn't Here To Do The Box Office Numbers Last Weekend I Figured I'd Do Them
1. Brave (Pixar/Disney) 3D NEW [4,164 Theaters]
Friday $24.5M, Saturday $23.5M, Weekend $66.7M
2. Madagascar 3 3D (DreamWorks Anim/Paramount) Week 3 [3,920 Theaters]
Friday $6.1M, Saturday $7.7M, Weekend $20.2M, Cume $157.5M
3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 3D (Fox) NEW [3,108 Theater]
Friday $6.3M, Saturday $5.6M, Weekend $16.5M
4. Prometheus 3D (Fox) Week 3 [2,862 Theaters]
Friday $2.9M, Saturday $3.9M, Weekend $10.0M, Cume $108.5M
5. Snow White & The Huntsman (Universal) Week 4 [2,919 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $8.0M, Cume $137.0M
6. Rock of Ages (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,470 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Saturday $3.1M, Weekend $8.0M (-45%), Cume $28.7M
7. That’s My Boy (Sony) Week 2 [3,030 Theaters]
Friday $2.4M, Saturday $2.8M, Weekend $7.9M (-41%), Cume $28.1M
8. Marvel’s The Avengers 3D (Disney) Week 8 [2,230 Theaters]
Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.8M, Weekend $7.0M, Cume $598.2M
9. Men In Black 3 3D (Columbia/Sony) Week 5 [2,462 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Saturday $2.3M, Weekend $5.6M, Cume $163.3M
10. Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World (Focus) NEW [1,625 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M, Saturday $1,5M, Weekend $3.8M

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think it was too much of a surprise that Brave did well, but the fact that the Abe Lincoln movie didn't get a stronger second. Even Madagascar was a distant second. brave really did blow away the competition.

Still, Abe Lincoln is yet another high concept movie that was intended for a niche audience. If it doesn't do too well in coming weeks, it will be considered a massive failure, even though it's probably destined for cult status. You know, like Scott Pilgrim. But it really didn't fit for a June release anyway. But it is still the highest earning non-family movie of the week.

I'm glad Brave didn't scare people away and get a weaker opening. It is a film unlike any film Pixar has done before. And if so, It's closer to the Incredibles than anything else. No cute talking things (except for a crow that wasn't in the film much), no (highlight for spoilers) Major good guy characters dying... and above all, it seemed like something from another studio... and that's not a bad thing at all. it felt like one of the Disney princess films, but with far smarter writing, and it didn't wind up being as hypocritical as the "I want something more" Princesses that got Disney stuck in a rut.

The brilliant thing about this film is how unlike a Disney Princess the main character was. Sure, she had the "I want my own path" bit... but they put a brilliant spin on it that I can't go into without too many spoilers. But she wasn't a fashion plate, a teenager with a 23 year old developed body for girls to dress up as. In fact, major MAJOR spoiler, read at your own risk... She thinks her wishes are quite selfish at one point, considering it almost kills her mother, and more impressive, she ISN'T paired with any of the Princes at the end of the film. That;'s inconceivable!

I'd say there was just a hint of Studio Ghibli in there... the Witch had a quality in her that felt like a Ghibli-esque character. I just can't overstate the brilliance of this film and how different it was for Pixar. It makes up for being the first non-sequel since UP and the last until The Good Dinosaur, and it certainly makes up for the last film being Cars 2. Though I will say it hasn't broken my trinity of favorites, Up, Monsters Inc, and Incredibles... but I'd place it before Ratatouille... and I LOVED Ratatouille.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't think it was too much of a surprise that Brave did well, but the fact that the Abe Lincoln movie didn't get a stronger second. Even Madagascar was a distant second. brave really did blow away the competition.

Still, Abe Lincoln is yet another high concept movie that was intended for a niche audience. If it doesn't do too well in coming weeks, it will be considered a massive failure, even though it's probably destined for cult status. You know, like Scott Pilgrim. But it really didn't fit for a June release anyway. But it is still the highest earning non-family movie of the week.

I'm glad Brave didn't scare people away and get a weaker opening. It is a film unlike any film Pixar has done before. And if so, It's closer to the Incredibles than anything else. No cute talking things (except for a crow that wasn't in the film much), no (highlight for spoilers) Major good guy characters dying... and above all, it seemed like something from another studio... and that's not a bad thing at all. it felt like one of the Disney princess films, but with far smarter writing, and it didn't wind up being as hypocritical as the "I want something more" Princesses that got Disney stuck in a rut.

The brilliant thing about this film is how unlike a Disney Princess the main character was. Sure, she had the "I want my own path" bit... but they put a brilliant spin on it that I can't go into without too many spoilers. But she wasn't a fashion plate, a teenager with a 23 year old developed body for girls to dress up as. In fact, major MAJOR spoiler, read at your own risk... She thinks her wishes are quite selfish at one point, considering it almost kills her mother, and more impressive, she ISN'T paired with any of the Princes at the end of the film. That;'s inconceivable!

I'd say there was just a hint of Studio Ghibli in there... the Witch had a quality in her that felt like a Ghibli-esque character. I just can't overstate the brilliance of this film and how different it was for Pixar. It makes up for being the first non-sequel since UP and the last until The Good Dinosaur, and it certainly makes up for the last film being Cars 2. Though I will say it hasn't broken my trinity of favorites, Up, Monsters Inc, and Incredibles... but I'd place it before Ratatouille... and I LOVED Ratatouille.
I'll see Brave next week. I don't expect it to have much staying power. It did well due to the Pixar name and lack of competition more than anything else. Like John Carter, Tangled and other Disney pics, they seem to be concealing the plot for this film to the extent that reviewers have been cited for releasing "spoilers." It's only in the North American market where Brave, originally titled The Bear and the Bow, is advertised as a rebellious adventure movie and not what it actually is. There would be no question who'd win if Brave went up against Afro Circus in its first week.

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was doomed from the start. It's a brilliant idea that the typical US citizen just will not understand. I've been in auds where the trailer played to rolling eyes and audible groans. I'll likely see that before Brave. Just not jazzed to see it.

Also, Prometheus was impressive. I encourage fans of the Alien franchise to check it out. They will make more.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was doomed from the start. It's a brilliant idea that the typical US citizen just will not understand. I've been in auds where the trailer played to rolling eyes and audible groans.
Curious what you mean by this. Could you please elaborate? I haven't seen the movie, just wondering what you mean.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I just saw Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter and I LOVED it! Now, I'm no American nor am I a huge fan of vampires, but I DO love ret-conning history and super-stylized movies (will be shelving this one next to 300 and Watchmen). Its actually a lot deeper (?) than I anticipated, with a lot of parallels being drawn to the slave aspects of that time (although I didn't quite get the connection between the slave-owners and the vampires...must have missed some exposition). I'd love to see a mini-series spin off for the middle-years of his life which are broadly swept over though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll see Brave next week. I don't expect it to have much staying power. It did well due to the Pixar name and lack of competition more than anything else. Like John Carter, Tangled and other Disney pics, they seem to be concealing the plot for this film to the extent that reviewers have been cited for releasing "spoilers." It's only in the North American market where Brave, originally titled The Bear and the Bow, is advertised as a rebellious adventure movie and not what it actually is. There would be no question who'd win if Brave went up against Afro Circus in its first week.
Madagascar has a following of kids that are too young to appreciate Brave. I'd think there would be stronger competition than a 40 dollar gap.

Still, Brave's a movie that's hard to market without giving away spoilers....

YET...

When I was at the Disney Store, every single piece of merchandise was a spoiler. if I didn't walk out of the store with that Muppet Figurine set, I'd regret going in. I mean, REALLY... do NOT go to the Disney Store before you see the film. Or just avoid that merchandise.

I continue to give credit to the merchandise from the last Batman movie, not releasing a Two-Face until after the movie was out of theaters.

Still, I give Pixar nothing but credit for going out of their cute character comfort zone and doing something different for a change. And giving girls a MUCH stronger character than any of the Diz Princesses ever were.

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was doomed from the start. It's a brilliant idea that the typical US citizen just will not understand. I've been in auds where the trailer played to rolling eyes and audible groans. I'll likely see that before Brave. Just not jazzed to see it.
It's a movie for strict comic nerds, weirdo film fan buffs. The mainstream might just find it too strange and esoteric a film. Not to mention how played out zombies are becoming (Tween girls have vampires, everyone else on the internet under the age of 35 has Zombies). I'm surprised this movie isn't a conservative sweetheart because they finally made a film where a Republican president is a hero. But who did they really think would see this film? That's why they shoved Scott Pilgrim in August and gave it limited viral underground marketing. The film hit its niche, and it's rerun in college towns (The Brattle Theater in Cambridge runs it almost once or twice a month). It wasn't destined for a massive audience, and I don't think Abe Lincoln was either.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
No surprise that the Lincoln movie didn't do well.
Who wants to watch a movie about Abe Lincoln killing vampires? I just think that is such a stupid plot. The fact that it's Tim Burton just makes it worse.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's all based on comic books that no one really reads, man. Same deal with Cowboys and Aliens. They're strange indie comics hipster nerds read instead of the mainstream Super Heroes that people have actually heard of. If you have Spidey, The Avengers, and Batman, why go for something off the big 2, DC and Marvel?

It's not so much a stupid idea as a strange, quirky one. It's bound to be a cult hit once it hits home video... not so much with a mainstream audience.

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's not so much a stupid idea as a strange, quirky one. It's bound to be a cult hit once it hits home video... not so much with a mainstream audience.
Its actually not a based on a comic book at all, but rather a set of varyingly successful books such as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and Gossip Girl Serial Killer. These are all very cleverly crafted from taking the original stories (most of which have fallen out of copywrite) and adjusting them ever so slightly while maintaining all the original prose and style. This one, for example, has many moments of historic accuracy and also many famous quotes and lines from his life, but adjusted ever so slightly.

Its not really a stupid plot, so much as a clever, fun, interesting ret-con of history. It has great fun with the Icon of this character!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Madagascar has a following of kids that are too young to appreciate Brave. I'd think there would be stronger competition than a 40 dollar gap.

Still, Brave's a movie that's hard to market without giving away spoilers....

YET...

When I was at the Disney Store, every single piece of merchandise was a spoiler. if I didn't walk out of the store with that Muppet Figurine set, I'd regret going in. I mean, REALLY... do NOT go to the Disney Store before you see the film. Or just avoid that merchandise.

I continue to give credit to the merchandise from the last Batman movie, not releasing a Two-Face until after the movie was out of theaters.

Still, I give Pixar nothing but credit for going out of their cute character comfort zone and doing something different for a change. And giving girls a MUCH stronger character than any of the Diz Princesses ever were.
Um, my point was that the pitch of the film shouldn't be considered a spoiler. It should have been in the North American ads just like it reportedly featured in the foreign market. I read about the story from a years old press release when they began production. I think it's silly that mentioning the "bear portion" is considered spoiling the experience at all. It's not the ending, it's the froggin PLOT! People should know what a film's about before going in instead of the bait-and-switch that's going on with Brave and that went on with John Carter. From the reviews I read, this story exists mainly to please very young viewers. I've heard its far less sophisticated than many of the other films. Is that incorrect?

By the way. I finally saw John Carter and it's not a bad film. It is a self-indulgent one. This is what happens when a fanboy tries to include all the source material in the film instead of consolidating the essence of the story and working from there. Aside from the terrible marketing, the failure in John Carter was 100% story. They try to cram so much idealism from this world into one film that there's no time left to make the viewer really care. This should have been a miniseries on SyFi. It would have done very well there. I'm still glad to have the blu-ray. I did like it. It just took a poor direction from a Pixar artist who should know better about storytelling.