1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

The first one came out back in 2014, and performed well enough. And hey, it's also an original film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wick

2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

In related news, the accursed message boards for IMDB are closing down on February 20th. Tough luck to trolls everywhere!

Celebrate good times, come on! :halo:

newsmanfan and Pig's Laundry like this.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

4. mr3urious

Very happy to see that The Lego Batman Movie managed to overcome Fifty Shades Darker, unlike the 2nd SpongeBob movie against Fifty Shades of Grey from 2 years prior. The latter even managed to make about half as much as its predecessor in its opening week, and about a quarter of the worldwide gross (so far)! :)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=06&p=.htm

5. mr3urious

6. D'Snowth

Isn't ROCK DOG essentially SING but with the focus on a central character, rather than an ensemble?

7. mr3urious

8. D'Snowth

Like I said. . . .
    Then again, seeing more trailers for it, it also looks a lot like HOP as well.

9. D'Snowth

Jordan Peele wrote and directed GET OUT? The comedian Jordan Peele? That's shocking. :o

10. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

That film is really good though. Jordan Peele picked a good project to start his directing career.

11. mr3urious

SNIKT!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=09&p=.htm

Logan was the big hit last weekend, no surprise there. But then there's 3rd place Christian film The Shack, which has garnered many negative reviews and some controversy from other Christians. It made around $16 million, better than God's Not Dead 2 from last year, yet slightly below its total.

12. D'Snowth

I didn't know THE SHACK was a Christian movie, but then again, it seems odd that a Christian movie would be mainstream anyway.

13. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Pig's Laundry and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  14. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

SpongeBob won again too!

heralde likes this.
  15. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I know, it's fantastic! I wish more people could be a bit more like kids and just enjoy things on their own merit.

I know, that really bothers me. Like, i'm pretty sure SpongeBob has won like 11 years in a row. But, I guess it's mostly SpongeBob's audience that votes for these things anyway so...

heralde and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  16. mr3urious

Dreamworks' The Boss Baby dethroned Beauty and the Beast, taking in around the same amount of money as Home did two years prior. Meanwhile, the live-action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell wound up in 3rd, and last week's Power Rangers reboot dropped from 2nd to 4th.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=13&p=.htm

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  17. MikaelaMuppet

It's probably due to Nickelodeon wanting SpongeBob to win all the time because it's a cash cow franchise.

mr3urious likes this.
  18. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I just got out of Boss Baby
    Anyway the movie has the stupidest premise but the excision of it works, the plot is kind of week but the actors were good.
    So the movie was a 3.5/5 for me.

19. mr3urious

The Boss Baby and Beast are still going strong. Unfortunately, The Smurfs is at a pretty distant 3rd, opening a little less than the 2nd live-action movie. Which is kinda unfortunate because this looks like the Smurfs movie that Sony should have made from the beginning.

Betcha The Emoji Movie is going to end up making a lot more. :rolleyes:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=14&p=.htm

20. MikaelaMuppet

I think that The Emoji Movie will be a flop to be honest with you. It just doesn't even look funny at all.