1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Pig's Laundry and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

It's good to know we finally got an adaption (reboot?) of a well known thing that didn't suck. Also, glad to know it hasn't been underperforming like pretty much every other movie this year. I wonder if Mike from Stranger Things will ever be on anything that isn't some variation on The Goonies.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  3. mr3urious

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

FRIEND REQUEST? Hadn't heard of that one yet . . . lemme guess, another attempt to make an aspect of social media into an hour-and-a-half story like THE EMOJI MOVIE?

5. mr3urious

They were beaten to the punch by Unfriended three years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfriended

6. mr3urious

September continues strong with Kingsman 2 leading the pack, It still clinging on to 2nd, and the Lego Ninjago movie rounding out the 3rd, though with the lowest U.S. opening so far -- only a 3rd of what The Lego Movie opened with.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=38&p=.htm

Meanwhile, Friend Request bombed at 7th place. A killer clown really is more interesting than killer social media.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    muppetgem likes this.
  7. Pig's Laundry

I think all killer things are more interesting than killer social media. Even a killer butter stick.

mr3urious likes this.
  8. mr3urious

A killer butter stick? Sounds like a new idea for a novel that Stephen King would come up with. :D

9. Pig's Laundry

Well, still better than a sentient truck with The Green Goblin's face.

10. D'Snowth

Oh, come on guys, don't start giving lamestream Hollywood any dumb ideas. . . .

11. Pig's Laundry

Eh, there are so many Stephen King stories, these movies are probably already in the works.

12. mr3urious

Looks like Tom Cruise vehicle American Made is sandwiched between It and Kingsman 2, all of which made a little over $17 million. But then there's the Flatliners remake/sequel starring Kiefer Sutherland, which flatlined at 5th place. The original from 1990 was a hit at the time, but it was apparently quickly forgotten about. Heck, even I've never heard of it until now.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=39&p=.htm

Next week comes Blade Runner 2049 and My Little Pony: The Movie, the latter of which I'm hoping is a decent success and not a spectacular Jem and the Holograms level of failure. The former at least isn't utterly betraying the source material and seems to have a decent amount of love put into it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  13. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Why an MLP movie?

14. mr3urious

Maybe because the writers and producers wanted to do something bigger and bolder by making a theatrical movie? I don't see anything wrong with that.

muppetgem likes this.
  15. Pig's Laundry

16. D'Snowth

Wasn't there already a TT movie in the works?

17. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

But why Teen Titans Go? I think Steven Universe or Adventure Time (even though I don't watch AT that much) should get a movie instead.

18. Pig's Laundry

It doesn't necessarily have to be either/or, I think SU would make a great movie, only problem is the show's so arc heavy, it might not get a massive audience. If they had a movie, it would either have to be after the show is already over and the story lines are resolved, or it would be in the middle of the show and ignore the story arcs altogether.

I think so. Maybe they'll come out close together kind of like how Lego Batman came out the same year as Batman v. Superman, sort of helping to promote each other.

19. mr3urious

I think AT was/is getting a movie. Haven't heard anything on that last time it was announced.

20. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I heard the movie got canceled.