Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like a matter of taste thing. When people don't like a movie that's getting good word of mouth, it's a personal thing.

Anyway, if this Cracked article is anything to go by (though I still don't think Rescue Rangers the movie is ever happening- at best we'd get a Chip n' Dale film... they did things before Disney Afternoon, everybody), if that is indeed true about the third Smurf movie, all I can say is... really!?! You save the origin story for the last movie? Scratch that. You save the movie you should have done in the first place for the last movie?

Now, I'll admit, I liked the Smurf movies more that I thought I would. And in the case of the first one, I had standards so low that I went to see it for dark reasons and even then it didn't even measure up to destroying the fabric of nostalgia. Yeah, I kinda saw it as aversion therapy, it really wasn't that good, but it wasn't half as bad as I worked it up to be. Certainly better than Yogi Bear was. The second one they actually made a decent film, a character piece about Smurfette's origins and it went into some heavy stuff the cartoon and comics never dared go into. Shock and horror, they made a good Smurf movie the second go around. Now a third one where they don't go to the future and actually have the Smurfs do what Smurfs do best? I have...never seen... a movie series that gets progressively better starting on a low note. That;'s amazing.

Side note- while I can't say I truly recommend the movies (the second one deserves a shot, though), I HIGHLY suggest the one off specials made off the movie. Smurf Christmas Carol, and especially The Legend of Smurfy Hollow. If you see those at a Red Box, get it. If the movies looked like they did, they'd be amazing. And they're mostly 2-D traditional with CGI wraparounds.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Godzilla was freakin' amazing. Truly the American made Godzilla movie we deserved and not the Jurassic Park wannabe we got back in 1998. But what really made me happy about the film?

It wasn't a remake. Godzilla wasn't the monster causing trouble, and at the end he was actually the hero, making it a loose connection to the Godzilla movie series.

Overall, I was really impressed. I especially liked the Easter Eggs, like the kid who was lost on the subway looking exactly like the kid from the original film, and a bug tank that had a piece of paper covering it up making it read "MOTH ra." They kept the campiness to a minimum, but manage to have just a little to keep it from being too serious. I also liked that they treated it like a legit horror movie for the most part.

Last weekend, on the other hand, had the new X-Men movie overtake the big G in the top spot, with Blended trailing behind at #3, making far less than the last Happy Madison movie Grown Ups 2.
About time! It's completely unfair that Pacific Rim got spanked by that terrible Grown Ups 2 film. Glad to see this wasn't the case this time. They even announced a second Godzilla film after the 90 Million opening.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I remember seeing an article on IGN, I believe, that showed some Japanese audiences thinking that this new Godzilla was too fat upon first look, when last I heard, theirs wasn't exactly skinny, either.

Now Zilla, on the other hand, is a real stringbean in comparison! :big_grin:

About time! It's completely unfair that Pacific Rim got spanked by that terrible Grown Ups 2 film. Glad to see this wasn't the case this time. They even announced a second Godzilla film after the 90 Million opening.
It's great to see almost anything at the top spot but that. Must have been from Pacific Rim fans upset over its underperformance sticking it to Adam Sandler.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Godzilla was amazing. Best film of the year so far ( MMW being the second :wink: ).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember seeing an article on IGN, I believe, that showed some Japanese audiences thinking that this new Godzilla was too fat upon first look, when last I heard, theirs wasn't exactly skinny, either.

Now Zilla, on the other hand, is a real stringbean in comparison! :big_grin:
Actually, that was one guy on 2Chan. Don't see why that was blown out of proportion. Though, if that's the case, these kaiju seem to draw energy from nuclear/radioactive waste. Maybe the film makers are trying to tell us something? Then again, after a while, the original Godzilla looked like a cartoon character.

And yes... when they had that Godzilla movie that totally lambasted the 98 American one, they made him a shrimp. And Godzilla kicked the crap out of him.

I just wonder how this movie will do over there. Especially considering the nuclear disaster town at the beginning of the movie. Is that too soon?

As for this week... I know it's highly unlikely, but it would be awesome if Maleficent would lose the spot to Seth MacFarline's Western comedy... I'm very excited for that one, but besides the point it just seems like a Once Upon a Time one off movie. These dark for the wrong reasons fairy tale things are out of hand. They're like cynical Shrek or something. They already are making Cinderella, I bet they're going to favor dark origins and epic magical battles over the stepsisters' feet getting cut to fit the slipper.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really sucks for Seth MacFarline. Must be one of those years where everyone hates him again for some reason. Then again, there hasn't been a successful western since... well... Rango, maybe True Grit. Of course, Maleficent saw non-stop media blitz, and his film got spotty at best TV spots.

But you just can't stop the horrible trend of Twilight-ified Fairy Tales. I almost rather the terrible Shrek ripoff parody versions to come back. DTV sequels to movies no one liked in the first place.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Really sucks for Seth MacFarline. Must be one of those years where everyone hates him again for some reason. Then again, there hasn't been a successful western since... well... Rango, maybe True Grit. Of course, Maleficent saw non-stop media blitz, and his film got spotty at best TV spots.

I saw a lot of promotions for his movie while watching TNT's coverage of the NBA playoffs, so his movie did get some steady promotion on at least one network. But Maleficent did get a lot more promotion.