1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

2. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

After last month's record-breaking high, October starts off with a slump as Blade Runner 2049 underperforms at $32 million, while runner-up The Mountain Between Us delivers a decent $10.5 mil., with It clinging on to 3rd. But unfortunately, My Little Pony fell short at $8.8 mil., and did worse than the G1 film from the '80s if you adjust for inflation. So it seems like they're not going to rush into a sequel.

But at least it did better than Jem. So make of that if you will.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=40&p=.htm

3. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

So Blade Runner 2049 didn't do good?

4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I certainly hope Blade Runner 2049 under performed. What a mess. A very bland, boring mess.

5. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

That's because all Hollywood seems to be doing right now is just nothing but remakes/reboots/rehashes of already existing films.

muppetgem and heralde like this.
  6. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Eeyup. Disney has been doing this a lot in the past few years.

7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So I see one of the reasons GOODBYE CHRISTOPHER ROBIN has received a PG rating is for "scenes of bullying."

I've been saying for a while that the whole anti-bullying campaign has kind of lost its effectiveness and has pretty much become nothing more than a tool, but "scenes of bullying" garnering PG ratings seems almost as ridiculous as "depictions of smoking and/or drinking" garnering such a rating as well.

heralde and mr3urious like this.
  8. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Depends on the scene. Scenes showing bullying could be very dramatic and intense depending on what happens. Smoking or drinking onscreen isn't likely to trigger anyone's negative emotions.

9. mr3urious

Happy Death Day was the winner this week, which essentially takes the Groundhog Day loop concept and puts a horror twist on it. In 2nd is Blade Runner 2049, while The Foreigner is in 3rd, and has already made a ton in China. No surprise there as Jackie Chan is the star.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=41&p=.htm

10. Furball 8

Furball 8 Member

Wow. Blade Runner is not doing well at all. Too bad, it sure looks good...just don't think anyone really wanted a sequel to Blade Runner.

11. mr3urious

So the Madea "Halloween" sequel took the top spot, but it made a little less than its predecessor. Meanwhile, 2nd place Geostorm has performed way below expectations, and is not doing so hot with critics. And then there's the biopic Only the Brave, about the Yarnell Hill wildfire in Arizona that killed 19 firefighters, that performed a lowly 5th place.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=42&p=.htm

12. mr3urious

13. mr3urious

Next week will see the premiere of The Star, an animated tale based around the nativity of Jesus focusing on some farm animals. And Brian & Lisa Henson are credited as executive producers, interestingly enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(2017_film)

While it is nice that we're seeing the first big-budget animated religious film since The Prince of Egypt, there is some concerns of mine since it is a Sony product and one of the writers was behind stuff such as Rio 2 and the latest DTV Open Season film. Plus, seeing as it's debuting after Thor and before Pixar's Coco, I don't see too many families bothering with it.

14. D'Snowth

How the heck many Fifty Shades books did that Twilight badfic author write? Because there's apparently another movie sequel coming out.

15. Pig's Laundry

I think it's supposed to be a trilogy, meaning this would be the last one. People keep complaining about 'em, and yet they continue to go see them. Just like those Bayformers movies. I hope this one fails so we don't have to worry about a spin off film :p.

16. mr3urious

Justice League had the lowest domestic opening of the DC Extended Universe films, barely cracking the $100 million mark. However, the international take is much better, though still not as high as previous films.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=46&p=.htm

Pretty surprising to see Wonder in 2nd place, albeit a distant one. But then there's The Star all the way at 6th, which makes me think that families are skipping it for Coco next week.

17. mr3urious

Just like I had predicted, Coco was the big hit this Thanksgiving weekend (including Tuesday and Wednesday previews), and certainly improved upon their last release during that weekend, The Good Dinosaur. Justice League is clinging to 2nd, and Wonder at 3rd.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=47&p=.htm

18. mr3urious

19. D'Snowth

Everybody seems to be talking about this new Pixar movie COCO, but once again, I haven't seen a single trailer, promo, ad, or anything for this movie.

20. Pig's Laundry

Well, do you really watch that much TV aside from channels that show older shows and the occasional over the top reality show?