1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So apparently Justin Lin is no longer going to direct SPACE JAM 2, and instead, Warner Bros. are wanting to attach Terence Nance to the project instead. Meanwhile, although he's long been said to be starring in the sequel, LeBron James has still yet to approve the script, and/or officially sign on to star.

2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I went to see Christopher Robin yesterday and it surprisingly, my dad really enjoyed it.

3. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

My mom and I just saw Alpha today, and we both enjoyed it.

4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Gotta hand it to Crazy Rich Asians for achieving its crazy success through the domestic market alone, though interestingly enough, it's other Asian countries where it's not doing so hot. This is likely because if they wanted to watch a movie with an all-Asian cast, they would have just seen one of their own homegrown productions.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=crazyrichasians.htm

5. ConsummateVs

I think Wonder Park looks like a pretty good movie. The concept seems promising, and the animation is beautiful and of Disney/Pixar quality.

Also, it's worth noting that the movie is being directed by Cow and Chicken creator David Feiss, who also worked on the Open Season movies. I guess that explains why the bear and the porcupine kinda look like Boog and Buddy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Pig's Laundry likes this.
  6. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ralph_breaks_the_internet/
    Now, normally I don't give much weight to critic reactions when movies come out, but the reviews for Ralph Breaks The Internet are really good! I'm relieved that now we know the movie will at least be decent, and people can finally stop comparing it to The Emoji Movie.

7. ConsummateVs

I just saw Wreck-It Ralph 2 today, and it was great! Much better than I thought it was going to be.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  8. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    And i'm sure it's a good movie, but the marketing didn't make it look very good. Other recent animated Disney movies have given us something in the trailers to intrigue us, or even a comedic teaser. The main point of advertising for this movie has simply been insert internet meme here, and all the product placement.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. ConsummateVs

One of my favorite parts of WiR2 was when
    Ralph did a Bob Ross parody video, complete with poofy hair. I could not stop laughing at that, especially because I'm a big fan of Bob Ross and The Joy of Painting.

10. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

so apparently they're not including be prepared in the new lion king because they're afraid of the nazi references

honestly the song itself is just any other villain song? the only nazi reference was the goosestepping hyenas. just dont animate that scene and problem solved

cowards

ConsummateVs likes this.
  11. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Welcome to 2018.

12. D'Snowth

It's partly Nostalgia Critic's fault. He's the one who commented that, "'Be Prepared' is enjoyably menacing, turning a bunch of slack-jawed hyenas into the ******* Third Reich!"

13. mr3urious

Bumblebee now has the lowest opening of the Bayformers movies so far at around $21 million, sitting at 3rd place behind Aquaman and Mary Poppins Returns. No doubt these will still be a thing because of the People's Republic, but it's nice to know that Yanks are getting sick of them. :)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

14. D'Snowth

I don't get why the new Mary Poppins movie is doing so well right now . . . are moviegoers finally becoming desensitized to unnecessary reboots/remakes/rehashes/revivals? I mean, even Dick Van Dyke isn't happy about this.

15. mr3urious

To be fair, MPR was based on the book sequels that P.L. Travers refused to allow Walt Disney to adapt, which explains the spiritual successor Bedknobs & Broomsticks. And I give them major credit for using hand-drawn animation for the chalk drawings like the first film as opposed to the same drab, dreary, ultra-realistic CGI in the other live-action remakes.

16. D'Snowth

True . . . even though the animated portions look more like something out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon instead of a Disney animated feature, IMHO.

17. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Anyone hear about the new Sherlock movie practically tanking?

18. D'Snowth

I mean, it's Will Ferrell . . . when has a movie of his ever been good?

19. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

20. D'Snowth

Most people on MC hate ELF. Which is sad.