1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

What was it? I must have missed it... :o
  2. Bannanasketch Active Member

I loved WIR! But I missed the Sesame Street reference. Could someone message me to let me know what I missed?
  3. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

SPOILERS (highlight to read):

When King Candy was browsing through the game code for Ralph's medel, he says "One of these things is not like the others".
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  4. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Oooooooooh.... now I remember. Thanks Oscarfan!
  5. Bannanasketch Active Member

Yeah, now I remember that. Didn't really pay attention to it at first.
  6. MrBabySpencer Active Member

GREAT NEWS!! According To BoxOfficeMojo
    There's Gennedy's Popeye That Has Been Slated For 9/26/14
    And Also A Hotel Transylvania Sequel Is Slated For 9/25/15, Which Will Likely Also Be Directed By Gennedy
    Now If Only We Can Get A Q*Bert Movie :) After All Sony*Columbia Do Own The Property ;)
  7. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I hope the second Hotel is better. I've been saying this all thread, but Gennedy needs to call in his former Dexter's Lab/Samurai Jack/Symbiotic Titan writers in there. I liked Hotel, but the writing was all over the place, and it seemed like something Adam Sandler used as an ego piece (yet it's the best movie he's made in years).

I hope the Popeye one is good, and not a series of sarcastic Lampshade hanging (The Smurfs writers are attached). I can't imagine what they can do to improve the property as a film over Robert Altman's classic that in no way deserves the hate it got. Robin Williams was so in character, you forget that he's the same bombastic comedian that switches from topic to topic and voice to voice at the drop of a dime. I hope they don't shove a bunch of not sounding like the characters celebrities as the voices (seriously... in the other movie, Shelly Duvall was perfect casting because she is Olive Oyl in every sense of the character). And above all, they better the heck have read Thimble Theater. I don't want some lame parody of the Flanderized "Bluto tries to get sexually aggressive with Olive Oyl, and Popeye eats Spinach and beats him up" story. I wanna see Wimpy, Jeep, Alice the Goon, The Geezel, Castor Oyl, Ham Gravy, and O.G. Wottasnozzle.

If we get a Wreck it Ralph 2, that's as close as we'll get.
  8. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I loved the Sesame reference in Wreck-It-Ralph, but for obvious Spoiler reasons, I won't post it over here. Thanks Oscarfan for letting me know that there was one. I might have missed it if not. (Eh..probably not.)

Did anyone see the Muppet reference in Argo? It's actually said, but I'll let the sentance be a surprise for you all. ;)

Somehow, I see that one coming. Although I really don't think there should be.

Wreck-It-Ralph was a enjoyable movie, (I guess) but it didn't live up to what it should have. There was so much potential to the movie, and they just went and messed it up. If you ask me, they should have consulted Pixar a little more. The film was almost Pixar like, with the whole video game universe that they created.

It's actually a very violent movie, much more than I was expecting. I'm quite concerned about younger kids going to see this film. (It's rated for mild violence)

I didn't like all the toilet humor that Vanellope delivers. Not funny guys. Not funny at all. Not any good voice talents in the movie either. The beginning of the movie sets the stage for a very exciting movie. The entire middle is really a big mess. The end is also kinda sloppy.
    In my opinion, a waste of eight bucks, and the biggest movie disappointment I had in a while.

I missed a bit of Paperman, but for the parts that I was there, It was fantastic. Amazing, just for that the money was kinda worth it.
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

You're open to your review (you're probably the only one that didn't like it, though), but there's three points I want to make.

Heed the PG. This is the problem I have with PG movies being G movies with 'tude. There was NO way that Madagascar 3 should have been rated PG. The movie, while enjoyable and possibly the best since the first, really seemed for the little kids, and they got the most enjoyment out of it. There was nothing violent, dark, or even rude about it. They even toned down the language when they sang (and I quote) "New York, New York, it's a heck of a town." Meanwhile, Paranorman rightfully got a PG rating for the subject matter and adult jokes. WIR's violence was cartoony enough, with the exception of the Halo parody. Nothing worse than what you'd see on a standard TV Y7 cartoon.

Except that it's perfectly in character for an immature child to have immature humor. She's clearly trying to push Ralph's buttons in that scene, and that's what kids resort to when they want to push your buttons. Immature teasing is immature, so expecting Fraisier like dialog out of a character that's a 7 or 8 year old girl character is a tad unrealistic.

That one I just can't abide, sorry... the voice cast was pitch perfect and avoided major celebrities on a Dreamworks level. They even looked like their respective actors, that's how fitting they were. I couldn't imagine a more perfect cast. They disappeared into the roles and remained recognizable (let's see Jim Carrey's Horton of Horton hears a Who do that. They could have got Matt Frewer for a fraction of the price). Maurice LaMarche was the Tapper Bar tender, and he's one of the finest voice actors out there. I think they even got the current Sonic VA (or a close facsimile) to voice Sonic.
  10. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I agree. Some folks should stick to G films and that's okay. Just don't take away my PG-plus humor. :o

Personally, I fount Ralph to be about a C+. I liked it, but it wasn't quite as good as I had expected.
  11. MrBabySpencer Active Member

Skyfall Now Has $428.6 Million Foreign!!
    $428,600,000
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The thing is, they don't even make G films anymore unless they're preschool fodder, like Oogieloves. When they gave Finding Nemo a rerelease, it was rated PG, even thought it was initially rated G. There's some conspiracy theory out there that it's the reason kid's movies have toilet humor in them. To purposely get a PG rating. Yet, all these older Disney films have a solid G rating and are far darker than anything I've seen come out of PG movies lately. Rango, Paranorman, and to some extent Pirates band of Misfits, are the only animated movies that really deserve a PG rating. Ralph maybe for the Halo parody references and the violence that came with it. But they're Flanderized PG to sort of G with one slightly offensive thing in it. There was nothing in Madagascar 3 that should even have attempted to be PG. Kung Fu Panda 2, fine... it was about a peacock that wanted to commit genocide, and was deeper and heavier than the first one.

The way they blend the movies together, you almost couldn't blame him, but PG still means PG. Pg-13 is a step up... but what a step. You can even utter the F word at least once.
  13. MrBabySpencer Active Member

This Weekend's Estimates, And Also Skyfall Scored The Highest Debut For A Bond Movie Domestic
    1 N Skyfall Sony $87,800,000 - 3,505 - $25,050 $90,000,000 $200 1
    2 1 Wreck-It Ralph BV $33,056,000 -32.6% 3,752 - $8,810 $93,690,000 $165 2
    3 2 Flight Par. $15,100,000 -39.4% 2,047 +163 $7,377 $47,770,000 $31 2
    4 3 Argo WB $6,745,000 -33.9% 2,763 -11 $2,441 $85,711,000 $44.5 5
    5 5 Taken 2 Fox $4,000,000 -32.4% 2,487 -152 $1,608 $131,287,000 $45 6
    6 9 Here Comes the Boom Sony $2,550,000 -27.7% 2,044 -270 $1,248 $39,061,000 - 5
    7 6 Cloud Atlas WB $2,525,000 -53.1% 2,023 +10 $1,248 $22,712,000 - 3
    8 11 Pitch Perfect Uni. $2,504,000 -18.3% 1,391 -111 $1,800 $59,030,000 $17 7
    9 4 The Man with the Iron Fists Uni. $2,490,000 -68.5% 1,872 +4 $1,330 $12,718,000 $15 2
    10 7 Hotel Transylvania Sony $2,350,000 -46.7% 2,566 -356 $916 $140,904,000 $85 7
    11 8 Paranormal Activity 4 Par. $2,020,000 -52.5% 2,348 -658 $860 $52,641,000 $5 4
    12 12 Sinister Sum. $1,450,000 -47.0% 1,554 -328 $933 $45,054,000 $3 5
  14. charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Saw Wreck It Ralph today. I'd give it an A-minus. Great animation, especially with the colors in the Sugar Rush game and the herky-jerky movements in Fix It Felix. Plus I thought the voice cast did a good job, especially Jack McBrayer as Felix.
    Drtooth and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  15. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I'd give it a B+. It wasn't what I expected. I did enjoy it, no denying that, but it wasn't as good as it could have been.
    Some of my complaints of the movie are spoilers, so I'm not going to say anything.

Also, anyone who's going, make sure you get there on time for Paperman. That was very good. :)
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

These were pretty much the most stunning visuals I've seen in a CGI movie all year. And I'm not going to lie, they all were spectacular looking, though Brave spent too much time in the dark woods and the dark castle. The one thing I quite enjoyed seeing, but didn't feel they utilized enough, was the weird 8-bit versions of other characters in the style of whatever 8-bit game they were in. I'm glad that was seen all over the end credits though.

Seriously, this was my favorite movie of the year right up there with Avengers.
  17. MrBabySpencer Active Member

Thanks To Veterans Day Yesterday, Skyfall Now Gots $101 Million in Domestic
    $101,864,000
  18. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I saw Lincoln last night My thoughts on it?
    Zzzzzz..

I found it pretty boring. Wasn't my kind of movie. But it wasn't bad, someone here might find it good, but I found it boring. So I left to go see Wreck-It-Ralph again (Frankenweenie wasn't playing at a good time).
    I actually enjoyed watching the movie this time much more than the first time I saw it.
    It helps to have an audience that's really into it and is laughing and all. It was a lot of fun to sit through that showing of the movie. Also, this was on a bigger screen than the other place and better sound. :)
    I missed Paperman again. I actually only came in at the scene where Ralph is in Tapper's.

I do reccomend everyone to go see Wreck-It-Ralph. It was a pretty good movie, most of my complaints on the movie are spoilers, so I won't say anything.
  19. Hayley B Active Member

Just watched Brave last night. Now, that wasn't much of a story compare to the recent princess films, I thought. Though, I find it interesting that they didn't really have a villain in this one. They were pretty much being the villains themeselves.
  20. MrBabySpencer Active Member

GREAT NEWS!! According To BoxOfficeMojo
    The Animated Film Turkeys Has A Release Date
    November 14, 2014