Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Why? The last movie just came out. It's not like it was the top animated movie of all time or anything. It didn't do that great at the Box Office, why are they already planning twenty more projects? They're following what Despicable Me is exactly.
They make one movie which is somewhat succesful, and suddenly, there's three more sequels planned, a spin-off, a TV show, and an attraction at both Universal Parks.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And people are complaining about Pixar making a sequel to Finding Nemo and being released 12 years after the first one. :rolleyes:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Hey, I'm complaining about that one too!
I don't like the sound of Finding Dory at all. But I could be wrong. I have said I have no interest in previous Pixar projects, and I was wrong. I could be wrong again, but by Dreamworks continuously making sequels and spin-offs, those things are never good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why? The last movie just came out. It's not like it was the top animated movie of all time or anything. It didn't do that great at the Box Office, why are they already planning twenty more projects? They're following what Despicable Me is exactly.
They make one movie which is somewhat succesful, and suddenly, there's three more sequels planned, a spin-off, a TV show, and an attraction at both Universal Parks.
How is $144 domestically/ > $300 internationally not that great? You act surprised that Dreamworks would make announce a sequel to something after the first big box office payday. It's usually movies they release in November that don't get sequels because they don't do all that well then.

I could be wrong again, but by Dreamworks continuously making sequels and spin-offs, those things are never good.
Except for Kung Fu Panda 2 being insanely better than the first, and Penguins of Madagascar being a brilliant series.

Listen... would you rather sequels of a project or exact self made copies of a project that might as well be sequels under a different name? 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... that Will Smith vanity flick.

M. Night Shame-a-llama did that crap too, and it's getting ravaged by critics?

Big surprise, eh?

It's official... he's officially the worst director of all time. Michael Bay can't top how freaking awful he is. At least the foreign market likes his films.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So... that Will Smith vanity flick.

M. Night Shame-a-llama did that crap too, and it's getting ravaged by critics?

Big surprise, eh?

It's official... he's officially the worst director of all time. Michael Bay can't top how freaking awful he is. At least the foreign market likes his films.
No doubt there's going to be some big twist in the end, too.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I liked M Night's first three films. Sixth Sense was good, Unbreakable sparked a decade of antihero-superhero films and Signs was intriguing old-school sci-fi. Then came the disappointing twist in the Village, the completely inane Lady in the Water, the dull Happening and an even more boring slap in the face to fans with Last Airbender.

After Earth, however, is even more disturbing in that they've almost completely concealed his involvement in the marketing. It's also said to be a Scientology-based story written by Will Smith for his son to become a star. There are so many disturbing things in that statement. I was going to give it a chance, but will now wait for it to hit HBO next year.

As for the Scientology claim, well the DC-8-looking spacecraft, the volcano imagery and the psychobabble double-speak from the previews is enough for me to believe it. I'm open to different people expressing their different points of view in film if its honestly done. They seem to be hiding something here and that concerns me.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I liked M Night's first three films. Sixth Sense was good, Unbreakable sparked a decade of antihero-superhero films and Signs was intriguing old-school sci-fi. Then came the disappointing twist in the Village, the completely inane Lady in the Water, the dull Happening and an even more boring slap in the face to fans with Last Airbender.
The Last Airbender could have been a good movie series had Shamalan been a true fan and stepped aside for someone more qualified for a martial arts film. Instead, we got a sloppy mess of wooden directing, a Harmony Gold-esque condensation of the entire first season (including infodump between scenes...again, Harmony Gold dub of every Anime they ever did), poorly filmed and directed fight sequences ( rumor has it, the studio's also to blame because the clumsier takes were easier to convert to 3-D), and above all, for a fan of the show, he sure forgot that Avatar was funny a good deal of the time. And it was STILL a better project than Dragonball Evolution. I mean, at least the guy watched an episode. Can't see why they make these ragga fraggin' films without seeing a freaking episode of something.

Anyway...

After Earth, however, is even more disturbing in that they've almost completely concealed his involvement in the marketing. It's also said to be a Scientology-based story written by Will Smith for his son to become a star. There are so many disturbing things in that statement. I was going to give it a chance, but will now wait for it to hit HBO next year.
Hiding the fact he was involved with the movie shouldn't be that disturbing. Just his name is box office poison. As I said before, say what you will about Michael Bay's trolling ways, but he always gets a sizable crowd (who then later complain about it). Wasn't he a producer on something about an elevator, and that completely flopped? I wouldn't be surprised if they made him wear Groucho glasses or a V mask on set. And of course, Will Smith's ego. We wouldn't the director upstaging the star, especially if it's Will Smith. I like Will and all, but sometimes you just want Uncle Phil to come up and smack him on the back of the head. Then again, being associated with Shamalan could damage his career... matter of fact, this film looks like it would. Darnit, just do Men in Black 4 instead.

But the Scientology teaching thing... that is pretty disturbing. I always laugh when some bigot says the Jews control Hollywood. Having Will shove his kid into a propaganda piece just so the kid gets a career? That is pretty scary stuff. I'd say more, but those guys are so litigious they make Disney look lax.