Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It may be a generational thing (I'm 27), it may be a matter of taste, but I've seen WoK twice the whole way through, and it was painfully boring to me.
Not a generational thing in my case, I wasn't even born when WofK was in theaters. I guess it's just more about what you're looking for in a movie. I don't need that many action scenes, I prefer character moments. Takes all sorts, right? :smile:

Also, I had to cringe in the beginning, when Chekov and Khan act like they know each other, despite the fact Chekov did not appear in "Space Seed."
Chekov's always been my favorite character so all I care about is that he finally got a storyline of his own, lol.

For better or worse, "Into Darkness" is WoK for a new generation, with plenty of great action sequences AND great character moments.
Again, I'm not that old but I still prefer WofK. It's not about age, just what you're looking for in a movie.

Glad we could talk about this though. :smile:

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Not a generational thing in my case, I wasn't even born when WofK was in theaters. I guess it's just more about what you're looking for in a movie. I don't need that many action scenes, I prefer character moments. Takes all sorts, right? :smile:

Chekov's always been my favorite character so all I care about is that he finally got a storyline of his own, lol.

Again, I'm not that old but I still prefer WofK. It's not about age, just what you're looking for in a movie.

Glad we could talk about this though. :smile:
I apologize if I bashed WoK a little too much, and I should always respect the opinion of others, but again, different strokes for different folks. I must agree with your one point against Into Darkness; when Spock cried as Kirk died, it felt very forced. In the beginning of the film they couldn't stop arguing, not to mention they didn't have the history original Spock and Kirk had, yet we're supposed to believe a being who almost NEVER shows emotion would shed tears for a man he's known for three years at most? Yes, it felt very forced and out of place, and I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out to me, so score one point for you, I guess:smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
different strokes for different folks.
Absolutely. :smile:

I must agree with your one point against Into Darkness; when Spock cried as Kirk died, it felt very forced. In the beginning of the film they couldn't stop arguing, not to mention they didn't have the history original Spock and Kirk had, yet we're supposed to believe a being who almost NEVER shows emotion would shed tears for a man he's known for three years at most? Yes, it felt very forced and out of place, and I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out to me, so score one point for you, I guess:smile:.
Lol, thanks. The death scene did feel forced but I will say I enjoyed Kirk and Spock's early, developing friendship here. If they just give it a chance to grow in a third film I think it has potential. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I've heard it described quite well:

Wrath of Khan is like the Navy, and the new movie is like the Air Force.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I might just skip Epic. I kinda wanted to see it, but I'm so far behind, I'm going to have to miss it. Had I the chance to see Star Trek back 2 weeks ago when it came out, maybe... but for a myriad of reasons I just couldn't make it until this weekend.

I'm far more interested in Superman, but I'm literally chomping at the bit (and I do mean literally) to see Monsters University. It doesn't look like it's going to be a deep message, it doesn't look like they're trying to outdo anything... it looks like a fun movie with fun characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
See... Worse than Wild Wild West... at least some people found some sort of enjoyment in WWW. I cannot wait for TV Trope's YMMV page on After Earth to expand. So far it only lists the Scientological brain washing. Actually it expanded a little since yesterday... nothing funny though.

Seriously... I was that close to actually seeing WildWest in theaters, but chose Austin Powers 2.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
WWW is a terrible movie but for some reason I still enjoy watching it, lol.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I'm pumped for 'Man of Steel.' I have tickets to see it Thursday at 7 p.m., not much earlier than the midnight premiere, but hey, it's still an early screening of the film. I think it looks very, very promising.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope this is the Superman movie that does it. They've been trying very hard to get a Superman film franchise up and running for years. Some film concepts were absolutely terrible, and it's a good thing we never got them (Superman Lives? Ewwwww).

I unfortunately agree with Cracked on how it's pretty hard to make Superman interesting... I mean, why is Iron Man so popular? Get him without his suit, and he's completely vulnerable. He's a mortal completely dependent on technology. Had it not been a radio show, Superman wouldn't even have Kryptonite. And in often cases, they have to pull something out of their butts to make him vulnerable for dramatic tension.

I have faith enough in this movie that they can pull off Superman just as well as Smallville and Justice League (the 80's Ruby Spears cartoon was actually quite good too, as was Superman TAS). I mean, NOTHING can be as bad as Superman 3.

Really... ugh...