Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I believe they changed the name for that one. The current title is X-Men: Days of Future Past. I was just at the filming a couple of days ago!

EDIT: Holy cow. They pretty much kept this whole Wolverine movie a secret. Apparently, the movie "The Wolverine" is set to come out on July 26th worldwide. I haven't seen a single trailer/poster for this movie the whole year.

Days of Future Past is the NEXT X-Men movie, set to release July 2014.
Maybe you didn't notice, but they've been talking about The Wolverine for years now. The preview came out months ago. Looks good. :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I believe disappointments will include the Lone Ranger, 300 2, Percy Jackson 2, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Ender's Game and Carrie.
Peabody and Sherman was bumped to Next March a while ago. I really hope it doesn't conflict with The Muppets Again. It seems that Dreamworks learned its lesson from the unfortunate fact that November isn't the cash cow everyone thinks it is when Rise of the Guardians didn't perform that well. Especially since Croods did pretty good in March.

I'm just hoping Turbo flops and takes it's merchandising line and Netflix cartoon series down with it. It's a jaded attempt to go after Pixar again... something I thought they learned their lesson with Sharktale.

When Ender's Game comes out... that's going to be interesting. Considering the author's complete and utter batcrap crazy beliefs and position on a certain harmful not at all a hate group, the only tickets it will garner are passive aggressive supporters of said batcrap beliefs. Then again, it is an acclaimed story, and sometimes it is best to remove the person from the work. I've no desire to see it anyway, but there's going to be a freakin' firestorm.

Smurfs may do well, but didn't they move it to August? Not to mention Dispicable Me 2 may be some stiff competition for them this time, when Smurfs 1 owes its success to the lack of competition other than the Pooh movie (that dropped off the charts quite quickly).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Maybe you didn't notice, but they've been talking about The Wolverine for years now. The preview came out months ago. Looks good. :super:

Holy moley! Being the MARVEL/X-Men fan that I am, I can't believe I missed the fact that there's a movie coming out THIS summer! I've been focusing and following the other movie's filming production all over the city, and didn't even notice this one.

Really excited about it now!

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of the Smurfs... I've just seen the trailer and it's meh. It does seem like a story lifted out of the 1980's Hanna Barbera cartoon, but not really in much of a good way. The Nega-Smurf that J.B. Smoov is going to play looks like a Jar Jar Binks level of annoyance, but then again the last movie wasn't too bad, at least compared to the trailer. But there is one MARK improvement I'm actually quite excited about. They're doing the one thing I wish they did in the first movie....

They're bringing Vanity Smurf along with them instead of that lame Gutsy Smurf. And John Oliver is to play Vanity.

Now, he's one of my favorites, right up there with Brainy and Grouchy. He looks to be the real thing to watch in this film.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Peabody and Sherman was bumped to Next March a while ago. I really hope it doesn't conflict with The Muppets Again. It seems that Dreamworks learned its lesson from the unfortunate fact that November isn't the cash cow everyone thinks it is when Rise of the Guardians didn't perform that well. Especially since Croods did pretty good in March.

I'm just hoping Turbo flops and takes it's merchandising line and Netflix cartoon series down with it. It's a jaded attempt to go after Pixar again... something I thought they learned their lesson with Sharktale.

When Ender's Game comes out... that's going to be interesting. Considering the author's complete and utter batcrap crazy beliefs and position on a certain harmful not at all a hate group, the only tickets it will garner are passive aggressive supporters of said batcrap beliefs. Then again, it is an acclaimed story, and sometimes it is best to remove the person from the work. I've no desire to see it anyway, but there's going to be a freakin' firestorm.

Smurfs may do well, but didn't they move it to August? Not to mention Dispicable Me 2 may be some stiff competition for them this time, when Smurfs 1 owes its success to the lack of competition other than the Pooh movie (that dropped off the charts quite quickly).
General consensus is that the flesh colored Smurfs are creepy. I still think it may do well. That last film was a stinker.

Ender's Game looks like Spy Kids without the gags and it was written by a hate-monger. I have no problems seeing movies from troubled or politically bizarre people like Lindsay Lohan or Mel Gibson. They're talented people who unfortunately seem to harm themselves more than others. But I draw the line at the toxic bigotry of Orson Scott Card. I encourage everyone to think twice before supporting this picture. I think the marketplace will sort that out without my help. :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Holy moley! Being the MARVEL/X-Men fan that I am, I can't believe I missed the fact that there's a movie coming out THIS summer! I've been focusing and following the other movie's filming production all over the city, and didn't even notice this one.

Really excited about it now!
Yup. This is supposed to set things right after the last Wolverine film. According to Hugh Jackman, it's also likely to be the last stand-alone film for the character.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yup. This is supposed to set things right after the last Wolverine film. According to Hugh Jackman, it's also likely to be the last stand-alone film for the character.
I've heard that its actually set after the events of X-Men 3, with Wolverine dealing with the Jean-Grey guilt...I believe.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I was told by several extras that Days of Future Past is also a prequel in the series...Does that make sense?

Drtooth

Reaction score
General consensus is that the flesh colored Smurfs are creepy. I still think it may do well. That last film was a stinker.
It sure was, but that's what passes for kid's entertainment. I totally was right about bringing them into the real world being stupid... but I had such low expectations and almost masochistic tendencies to see the film, it was actually not half as terrible as I thought it was going to be. I actually enjoyed it. Too bad they have to go real world hopping again. However, there are 2 things that actually excite me about this film. First, as I said, Gutsy is replaced by Vanity (obviously the filmmakers knew the character sucked), but it seems that they're actually doing something about Smurfette's dark origin. When she turns into one of those Naughty things, her hair turns black. Gargamel originally made her uglier with black hair. I'm glad they referenced her being made by Gargamel in the last film, but they went nowhere with it.

Ender's Game looks like Spy Kids without the gags and it was written by a hate-monger. I have no problems seeing movies from troubled or politically bizarre people like Lindsay Lohan or Mel Gibson. They're talented people who unfortunately seem to harm themselves more than others. But I draw the line at the toxic bigotry of Orson Scott Card. I encourage everyone to think twice before supporting this picture. I think the marketplace will sort that out without my help. :wink:
There are three schools on this. People who justifiably want to boycott this movie because, well, who knows what Orson Scott Codfish is doing with his share of the money. Those who say remove the person from the work, often citing how H.P. Lovecraft was a complete racist schmuck. And then there are those who only want to see the movie to support Orson's special brand of batcrap insane homophobia, again playing the victims because the true victims are people who can't hate anything anymore. Oppressors LOVE to feel they're the oppressed, and we're going to get that same passive aggressive Chick Fil A "support" without the delicacy of mentioning that it's not so much the opinion as the fact they wantonly want to destroy the rights of others. In this case, because of Card's Space Jesus with a hundred wives religion.

I'm partially in the first 2 camps, but mostly I wasn't going to see this thing anyway because it's not Despicable Me 2. But seriously... the crapstorm that's approaching from this movie is going to be epic. I mean a MILLION times that of when he was going to write a Superman comic.