Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just saw it and it was nothing short of epic. I really like the Batman Begins-esque way they dealt with his childhood in Smallville. I was a little anxious that it might eat up a bunch of the movie, but they stuck to really important bits. I'd say it was perfectly on par with the Batman films. Dunno how I'd rank it against Avengers or Iron Man 3. I don't like those movies better, I like those movies different.

I love it, but I have just one tiny complaint... and I mean that literally. Not so much a spoiler, but a little heads up...

Seems the Kryptonian civilization, as advanced as they are, don't believe in diapers and... well... you can see baby Kal-El's...uh... Zo-san. I don't see why that needed to be there... I can stand the shaky camera angles and the big name store placement... but I kinda winced at those close up shots.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems the Kryptonian civilization, as advanced as they are, don't believe in diapers and... well... you can see baby Kal-El's...uh... Zo-san. I don't see why that needed to be there... I can stand the shaky camera angles and the big name store placement... but I kinda winced at those close up shots.
I guess Kryptonians are big on elimination communication. :big_grin:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong by the way, loved the movie, although there was one fight too many. When the movie finished, my first comment was: "That was awesome!" Although I have a bunch of complaints, I very much enjoyed the movie, but there should have been a little more character development.
The action was great, but at some point you start to get bored of the constant fighting between the same two people, Avengers worked very differently.

As for 3D. Probably not worth it. There are a few cool 3D scenes, like when Zod and Supe are flying through the city, and a few other cool eye popping effects, but most of the time, it just gave me a headache.
The film has this 'shaky camera' style, which I love, but was kinda annoying in 3D.
If you're going because you we're a fan of the Christopher Reeve Superman films, you'll be disappointed. This movie takes a very different direction to the Superman universe without changing the character at all. I was relieved by that. :smile:

Little bit of a spoiler: Did anyone understand Zod's plan with the gravity thing? How was that supposed to help him rebuild Krypton? They weren't so great on explaining that one part...

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I love it, but I have just one tiny complaint... and I mean that literally. Not so much a spoiler, but a little heads up...

I agree with you 100 percent. I don't know why that was necessary.I know it is just a baby, but was unnecessary on the whole. They didn't have to show that, and was no point to it. (I can't get the image out of my mind! And they show it twice in the movie!)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I knew about the....thing...before hand, but in all honesty, I didn't notice it at all. I was too wrapped up in seeing Russel Crowe and thinking about the South Park episode about it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
They had scads of character development for Clark Kent/Kal El/Superman:
When this project was announced, the one thing nobody wanted was another origin story. Well, that's just going to come with a reboot.

Their solution:
They found a way to masterfully weave some powerful scenes in key moments of the story to explain Clark's character and journey to becoming Superman. It's a great way to tell the origin without crippling the first hour of the movie. I don't understand how anyone would be lost of confused with the way events unfold because it was very clear to me. The one thing these scenes don't have is the connective tissue we are used to seeing. I'm glad for that. There really isn't a moment to get up from your theater seat to refill your soda or go to the restroom.

The second thing people wanted was action and this had it in abundance:
I could have done with one less action sequence in order to develop Lois a little bit more and maybe give Perry and the rest of the Planet staff some screen time. But there's only 2 1/2 hours to tell this story. Do we care that Jenny Olsen is trapped in some rubble? Not really because she's basically just a glorified extra. I expect to see some more of her, and a lot of other stuff, in the Blu-ray's deleted scenes.

There was a lot more I expected to see but didn't:
[spoiler alert]
  • No other DC character cameo was present beyond LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises logos.
  • No lead-up to the JLA.
  • No undisclosed villain.
  • No one did any kneeling before Zod!
Well, that saves those things for the next one. There was so much to tell this time that the sequel is going to be amazing. In essence, this really is Superman Begins. The next one could be Superman's "Dark Knight". That picture is already in the works. I'll see this one more time in the theater before buying the deluxe Blu-ray this Thanksgiving.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Quoting spoilers, so...

• No other DC character cameo was present beyond LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises logos.
  • No lead-up to the JLA.
  • No undisclosed villain.
  • No one did any kneeling before Zod!
I expected to see one of the first two things or some reference to Lex Luthor in the movie's stinger.

Thing is, it didn't have one. And I'm pretty sure I know why.

Green Lantern had a stinger at the end that was to segue to a never made, but clearly better, second movie with the rise of Sinestro as the obvious plot line. Since that movie was never made (after quite a bit of Wembling), WB seems careful not to tease audiences with possible Man of Steel 2/JLA build ups, just in case the movie didn't make what they wanted, and they could pull out of both projects at any time.

Seems that is no longer the case, though the JLA movie is going to be a logistics nightmare and one false step could drop the project. I'm sure they'll find a way to pull it off, but Man of Steel 2 is a bigger given. And as much as I liked this film, all the establishing bits have been told, so there's nothing in the way of the story for the next one.

Personally, I want to see Lex in a small role, and I'd rather see some of the bigger, nastier villains. It would be great to see Brainiac or even Darkseid in one of these films. Though Darkseid would probably work better for a JLA film.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Quoting spoilers, so...

I expected to see one of the first two things or some reference to Lex Luthor in the movie's stinger.

Thing is, it didn't have one. And I'm pretty sure I know why.

Green Lantern had a stinger at the end that was to segue to a never made, but clearly better, second movie with the rise of Sinestro as the obvious plot line. Since that movie was never made (after quite a bit of Wembling), WB seems careful not to tease audiences with possible Man of Steel 2/JLA build ups, just in case the movie didn't make what they wanted, and they could pull out of both projects at any time.

Seems that is no longer the case, though the JLA movie is going to be a logistics nightmare and one false step could drop the project. I'm sure they'll find a way to pull it off, but Man of Steel 2 is a bigger given. And as much as I liked this film, all the establishing bits have been told, so there's nothing in the way of the story for the next one.

Personally, I want to see Lex in a small role, and I'd rather see some of the bigger, nastier villains. It would be great to see Brainiac or even Darkseid in one of these films. Though Darkseid would probably work better for a JLA film.
I foresee a Lex/Braniac team-up for the next MOS.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Set a record for opening.

Hopefully it can keep that momentum up. I'm really hoping World War z doesn't kick this movie's Superbutt. Also hoping WWZ doesn't hurt Monsters Univerity either. Hopefully everyone's had enough zombie apocalypse by now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate double posting, but I just have to rant on the reaction to Man of Steel.

As I said before... What the frag do people expect out of a Superman movie? He only had 2 good ones prior anyway. Every single complaint I've seen boils down to, "I read all the spoilers a year in advance and wrote a different movie in my head, and as the film makers wanted to make their movie instead of the fan fiction, the stuff I envisioned wasn't there, so fail."

I read this painfully idiotic review that literally was a bunch of whining about the tone, the fact that Superman never kills (except when he totally does), and basically a laundry list of "I didn't get the point, and that makes me mad." Lets see, oh yeah... they even complained about it being serious. Wait? You mean the guys that did Dark Knight are making a not sunny happy Superman movie?

Above all, the reviews are absolutely what the heck is wrong with how we see entertainment. We expect way too much and we also expect what we want (not collectively) to see in things after we've read every single detail and put the thing in our heads, hyping it up to be a movie that should gel 100% with what out imaginations came up with. We can't go with the flow and let the directors and writers tell us their story anymore.

Seriously... it's a freaking guy in a cape that's been around since the 30's people stopped caring about because Spider-Man. Stop acting like that spoiled kid that got everything but one minor thing for Christmas and feeling betrayed that they didn't make your fan fic.