Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
I unfortunately also see a lot of Fast & Furious fans/wannabe gangsta types flocking to Turbo. This film looks like it panders to that crowd, what with Snoop Dogg voicing a character, for one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fast and Furious is clearly the reason this film was made. Heck, the TV spots make it out to be Fast and Furious-esque.

But Samuel L Jackson is in it. It's worth a shot. He makes bad films tolerable.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, RIPD still has no reviews. That's not a good sign. At least it looks like Ryan Reynolds will have a hit with Turbo. I'm not wild about that film, but it looks funnier and better animated than Planes. I don't know. I actually hope it's good even though that it's not on my list of films to see. RED2 doesn't look as good as its predecessor. It's on my list. Either way it looks to be Turbo's weekend. Oh, and there's the Conjuring. There's no telling how horror films will play. Sometimes the good ones get buried and the bad ones make bank.

Here are my approximate predictions for this 7/19-21/13 weekend:
  1. Turbo $55M
  2. Red2 $30M
  3. RIPD $20M
  4. Despicable Me 2 $18M
  5. Pacific Rim $16M
  6. Grown Ups 2$15M
  7. The Conjuring $12M
  8. Monsters University $5M
  9. The Heat $7M
  10. The Lone Ranger $6M
We'll see how close this is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't care if it's based off a comic book. There's nothing about RIPD that says anything but "Men in Black with Dead people." I'm sure if it was screened for critics, they're waiting until the day the movie's released to review it.

In still find that poorly researched article I posted a complete joke for saying Turbo failed to make a box office haul... the morning it was to be released in theaters. For shame on people not going to see the 8 AM showings.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While it is Summer vacation, it's also a non-Holiday. Any money they would make on a Wednesday wouldn't even be that much, as most theaters offer matinees on non-holiday weekdays. Despicable Me 2 had the pleasure of being released just before the fourth of July. It depends on the weekend haul.

The little snail toys seem to be selling decently. Not jumping off of store shelves like Despicable Me 2 stuff at Target (TRU priced itself out of the business, on the other hand), but selling meh well. It might be a moderate success... but there are 2 stronger kids films out there, and one shockingly strong film franchise for kids at the end of the month.

I've noticed this... The failure of Judy Moody and the not as successful as the others Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3 means there was a lack of kid's live action films (Smurfs not included) this year. Especially Walden Media's lame Lifetime Original Movie production values type films off of kid's books. Last year, there was only the two. Used to be a LOT more than that.

robodog

Reaction score
Oh dear God. I think that information makes me hate Turbo even more. The more I learn about Turbo the more I hate it. And just when I think I couldn't hate it any more new information comes to light that proves me wrong. Although I can't help but think going to a children's film about a talking snail should decrease a wannabe gangster's street cred not increase it. Are today's wannabe gangsters so lame that this is the kind of thing they flock to? And I don't care who voices a character. Crap is crap no matter who is involved.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll give it this... at least it looks better than Planes, at least visually. And no Dane Cook.

I honestly can't see why critics are giving it decent to good ratings, unless this is one of those times that the trailers are produced with the worst parts of the film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, rember when you said...
Well, RIPD still has no reviews. That's not a good sign. At least it looks like Ryan Reynolds will have a hit with Turbo.
It finally did get reviews and surprise surprise not good ones. You kn ow, this year was tough. We can't really tell if these movies are bad, or the critics were just turning curmudgeonly and ornery. They seem to have hated just about everything but Turbo. :rolleyes: Even if the films had nothing (majorly) actually wrong with them.

I don't expect much out of M.I.B. but Ghosts This Time. Seems like it could be sort of fun and has some nice concepts in it (the turning into other people, I will admit is a step ahead of MIB), but it comes out too late in the summer, and frankly July has become another not as great as they think it is month for movies. Too many big budget films and blockbuster fatigue are killing July films that aren't Despicable Me 2.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to see Grown Ups 2, with my mind set that it might not be as funny as some of Sandler's older movies. The first Grown Ups was ok… but it was still kind of bland.

After watching this movie, my mindset completely changed. This was probably the funniest movie Sandler has done in YEARS. It was funny the whole way through, right to the very end and even in the climactic moments. Every scene had a big name star in it, and half of them you wouldn't even realize were there, because they don't advertise about them in the trailers.

My dad, who doesn't laugh out loud much, was laughing throughout the film the entire time. He usually doesn't even come to the movies with us, because he has no interest in them. This obviously caught his attention, because Adam Sandler was in it as well as the other comedy geniuses.

I will admit that times got a little silly, but you have to have something in there for the small(er) kids, similar to the fart shoes bit in The Muppets.

The one thing I didn't like about the movie is that it was advertised as a kid's movie, going so far to have Adam Sandler and Chris Rock appear on Disney channel shows. This movie was NOT for younger kids, but better for a teen and adult audience. We all know that little kids watch Disney channel, so I found it odd that it was promoted there. (I mean, I'm probably the only kid in my school who still watches Disney Channel)

So, my point is, this was a REALLY good movie, and had everyone in my family laughing. It deserves to do well, and has some very sweet moments.

Ok, I'm done! :wink: