Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Y'know, Disney was gonna do their own retelling of Snow White, but with the two Snow White movies this year, they decided to cancel it. (That leaves me to question, doesn't Disney own the rights to Snow White?)
Probably not. Disney most likely has only a copyright to their movie adaption. Snow White is a really old Brothers Grimm story that probably has lost its copyright years and years ago, so I think its open to anyone to do an adaptation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I happened to like "Snow White & the Huntsman." They found a way to create a fresh, creative take on the classic. The characters, story and some well-placed effects help balance out some of the imperfections and saggy middle. It deserves the top spot.
I'll take your word for it. It probably comes off better than it looks.

Still, I'm not so much a fan of these Twilightified Fairy Tales, since we just got over everyone and their mother doing lame Shrek knockoff parodies of Fairy Tales. I like Grimm, though.

I loved Hook, it was one of my favorite takes on Peter Pan. But Mirror, Mirror looked liked the worst edition of Snow White. It looked to me like it was filled with cheesy jokes and plots, unneeded special effects, and comedic takes on what should be serious characters (especially the Evil Queen).

Mirror Mirror still pails in comparison. THIS movie broke Filmation. And right after they did that great Bravestarr cartoon, too.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'll take your word for it. It probably comes off better than it looks.

Still, I'm not so much a fan of these Twilightified Fairy Tales, since we just got over everyone and their mother doing lame Shrek knockoff parodies of Fairy Tales. I like Grimm, though.

Mirror Mirror still pails in comparison. THIS movie broke Filmation. And right after they did that great Bravestarr cartoon, too.
The only thing Twilighted was one of the stars. Otherwise that had nothing to do with the film. If anything it was Wonderlanded. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only thing Twilighted was one of the stars. Otherwise that had nothing to do with the film. If anything it was Wonderlanded. :wink:
Ah. So said star from that film wasn't too terrible, was she? I dunno... that Little Red Riding Hood movie looked too ridiculous and flopped. I guess they found the right balance with this one.

Not that I'm going to see it anyway. I'd rather go to the Afro Circus. yeah.. that's been lodged in my mind for the past month, and I'm far too pumped up to see Madagascar 3 than any sane, rational person could.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Ah. So said star from that film wasn't too terrible, was she? I dunno... that Little Red Riding Hood movie looked too ridiculous and flopped. I guess they found the right balance with this one.

Not that I'm going to see it anyway. I'd rather go to the Afro Circus. yeah.. that's been lodged in my mind for the past month, and I'm far too pumped up to see Madagascar 3 than any sane, rational person could.
Sure, there are reasons to dislike the recent Snow White movie but none of those are things you've cited. It was actually closer to Game of Thrones than Red Riding Hood. I'm not trying to praise the film or convince you to see it, but I really don't like to perpetuate a falsehood. Snow White has been successful due to the marketing campaign, audience familiarity with the subject matter and spirited word of mouth last Friday night. Red Riding Hood fizzled because of bad word of mouth, deviating too far from the premise and not offering much substance in the advertising campaign. It was a laughably bad movie.

Madagascar 3 has been receiving impressive reviews. It appears that good writing has taken prescience over the assumption that just because something is in CG3D that it will make money. Let's hope this trend continues.

I finally saw MIB 3 last night and it was fun. Much better than the second installment. It did have a feeling of being reshaped from the original premise. Maybe I'm projecting what we already know onto the finished piece. Definitely worth seeing. The film that was doomed to fail due to production issues will actually be a hit. There actually seemed to be a good reason for this sequel rather than the last one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Madagascar 3 has been receiving impressive reviews. It appears that good writing has taken prescience over the assumption that just because something is in CG3D that it will make money. Let's hope this trend continues.
The second one was pretty good, but it was missing something intangible from the first one that I still can't put my finger on. I did like the concepts of Marty losing his individuality when he finally got the family he wanted, and Alex in a weird version of The Lion King where he's a disappointment.

Though I've often said, I'm completely mystified by the Madagascar franchise. I have absolutely no idea why I like it, but I do. I found the cartoon spinoff about the Penguins insanely addictive. Somehow, I like this franchise better than Shrek. I almost thought about skipping #3 due to the circus premise and the fact they want to do four and make that one the one that they actually get home... but the previews for the movie have been irresistible for me.

I dunno,... Maybe I like Ben Stiller and Chris Rock in a movie together?

I finally saw MIB 3 last night and it was fun. Much better than the second installment. It did have a feeling of being reshaped from the original premise. Maybe I'm projecting what we already know onto the finished piece. Definitely worth seeing. The film that was doomed to fail due to production issues will actually be a hit. There actually seemed to be a good reason for this sequel rather than the last one.
Like I said before... MIB2 tried too hard to be the last movie, somewhat like the cartoon series (the aliens races looked like they came directly out of episodes of the cartoon series, as did some of their names), and it didn't want to be its own thing. plus, there was something they did to the worms and Frank the pug that I didn't much like (again, finding the animated series versions of them superior, so I have that biased). MIB 3 learned its lesson. It didn't remake the first one with a different setting, it didn't need to copy the big reveal ending of the first movie, and all that time spent retooling the movie actually worked. That's rare.

Plus, it didn't need to work the appearances can be deceiving angle extremely hard this time. The jokes that did focus on those were actually well done. Especially the Andy Warhol reveal.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I dunno,... Maybe I like Ben Stiller and Chris Rock in a movie together?
Oh, and don't forget David Schwimmer! But all joking aside, I think Madagascar 3'll do well. It looks very great, both animation and plot. Though, I just can't get over that they're advertising the heck out of the Circus Afro song. It's lost its flair even after just being seen in trailers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, and don't forget David Schwimmer! But all joking aside, I think Madagascar 3'll do well. It looks very great, both animation and plot.
Madagascar 3 is the first of the summer's PG rated family/kid's movies. Those are usually prone to do well, especially when there's no competition. While there were no doubt kids were prone to seeing Avengers and Men in Black 3, there's nothing specifically for a younger audience that wouldn't be able to sit through either. It's strange that Dreamworks waited until June to release their first movie. They usually get the jump by releasing their movie in May, so as not to directly conflict with Pixar's usual late-mid-June release.

Hayley B

Reaction score
The next one I'm looking forward is Brave. I love the Pixars. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Brave and Madagascar are both going to be in direct competition with each other in a couple weeks. That's going to be interesting. And like I said, there seems to be no other kids movies until Ice Age 4, Frankenweine, and Paranorman in July and August. I'm really surprised I haven't heard of some low budget, live action, based of a book, completely ruined by Walden media thing coming up. Or worse... the garish talking animal movie. I'm sure there is one, but I haven't seen it yet.