Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there's something that COMPLETELY reassures me about the Smurfs films, it's what France did to one of their beloved Franco-Belgian classics

Freaking character doesn't even get shown until the last 10 seconds of the trailer... :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Triple post? REALLY?!?! At least make a noise. let me know you're alive, there.

Anyway... which is the post in which thread did I say that the next Transformers movie would only be good if they put Grimlock in there?

Sounds like that could very well be a big possibility.

As long as he manages to keep saying "Me, GRIMLOCK..." at every turn, I'm actually going to see this one. If they can only get in a Eric Idle or Weird Al voiced Wreck-Gar in there, I'd super definitely see this one.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I got around to seeing quite a few movies this summer. 20 to be exact. Here are my personal rankings.

1. Man of Steel - 4.75/5 Heavy and solid with some brave choices.
  2. Pacific Rim - 4.5/5 Fun! Proves that a grade-A movie doesn't need A-list actors.
  3. The Wolverine - 3.75/5 Very satisfying sequel remedies previous weaker efforts.
  4. The World’s End - 3.75/5 Incredibly funny!
  5. Star Trek Into Darkness - 3.5/5 Beautiful and efficient retread.
  6. Elysium - 3.5/5 Fine futuristic film with themes ripped from today's headlines.
  7. This Is The End - 3.5/5 Funny redemption from Seth Rogen.
  8. Monsters University - 3.5/5 Fun, yet toothless follow-up to the first film.
  9. The Heat - 3.25/5 Far from perfect, but friggin' funny!
  10. Kick-A** 2 - 3.25/5 Weaker, yet enjoyable follow-up.
  11. Iron Man 3 - 3.25/5 Enjoyable, empty calories of excess.
  12. We’re the Millers - 3.25/5 Unexpectedly funny and extremely likable.
  13. Hangover 3 - 3/5 A fitting, and sometimes sobering, end to the series.
  14. World War Z - 3/5 Middling zombie movie with scattered compelling moments.
  15. The Place Beyond the Pines - 3/5 Impressive performances, muddled direction.
  16. You’re Next - 2.75/5 Very low-budget indie that delivers more than other such films.
  17. Now You See Me - 2.75/5 Compelling concept betrayed by a clunky final act.
  18. The Mortal Instruments - 2.5/5 Unfolds like a canceled CW pilot.
  19. The Great Gatsby - 2.5/5 Amazing production with little substance. Disappointing.
  20. RIPD - 2/5 Everyone shows up to play but the director of this train wreck.
Other notable films that I never got around to seeing include:
Fruitvale Station, The Purge, Despicable Me 2, Lone Ranger, Red 2 , The Conjuring, Blackfish, Only God Forgives, Closed, Circuit, Riddick, Paranonoia, and The To-Do List. These final late-summer/early fall films are next on my list: Insidious 2, The Family and Don Jon.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Triple post? REALLY?!?! At least make a noise. let me know you're alive, there.

Anyway... which is the post in which thread did I say that the next Transformers movie would only be good if they put Grimlock in there?

Sounds like that could very well be a big possibility.

As long as he manages to keep saying "Me, GRIMLOCK..." at every turn, I'm actually going to see this one. If they can only get in a Eric Idle or Weird Al voiced Wreck-Gar in there, I'd super definitely see this one.
Yeah that would all be awesome. I get the impression Eric Idle didn't really care about the Transformers stuff (no reason he would I guess) but Weird Al's rendition was also a lot of fun. One of the more intrigiuing episodes of Animated for me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Idle was in some pretty crappy kid's movies in the 90's. It would be likely if they just cut him a huge enough paycheck.

Fun fact, they tried to get him back for Transformers Animated. He did some cartoon guest star voice work before, like Pinky's Parents in Pinky and the Brain, and a memorable bit on Buzz Lightyear where he even wrote his own song. But Idle was busy with Spamalot at the time.

Still, I'll only bother with this movie for Grimlock. Just hope that he still goes "ME, GRIMLOCK" though. Probably won't.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
So I don't know if anybody's heard about this, but, there making a Gremlins reboot
http://screenrant.com/gremlins-movie-remake-2013/
I'd rather have Gremlins 3, but this will do, as long as they
1) Not make it too dark
2) Do not make where it has to be R-Rated
3) WB do not put Christopher Nolan as the director, please.
and 4) DON'T PUT IT IN CGI, and this seems like one of THE most likely out of all the predictions.
anyways, these are the 4 things i'm hoping WB doesn't do, but everything except probably the R-Rating seem likely.

Slackbot

Reaction score
According to the article, they might be making a Gremlins movie in the future. And I'll admit that idea puts a smile on my face. I loved the first movie, and I had a blast drawing the title characters. The second, while a tad goofy for my taste in places, was still fun. I wouldn't mind seeing them revisit it. I don't think the original movie needs a reboot, but the idea doesn't make me gnash my teeth either.

As for CGI, why not? It's digital puppetry, and in the right hands it can look really beautiful. Unlike the Muppets, puppetry has never been part of the identity of the mogwai/gremlins. In fact, I think the Gremlins would greatly benefit from a transition to CGI. It would enable them to cut loose in ways that would be very difficult for puppets. And if you thought a few dozen of them on the loose were fun to watch, imagine a marauding horde of the little beasts! That could be as wonderful as the zillion rampaging Evil Minions in El Macho's lair in Despicable Me 2.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So I don't know if anybody's heard about this, but, there making a Gremlins reboot
http://screenrant.com/gremlins-movie-remake-2013/
I'd rather have Gremlins 3, but this will do, as long as they
1) Not make it too dark
2) Do not make where it has to be R-Rated
3) WB do not put Christopher Nolan as the director, please.
and 4) DON'T PUT IT IN CGI, and this seems like one of THE most likely out of all the predictions.
anyways, these are the 4 things i'm hoping WB doesn't do, but everything except probably the R-Rating seem likely.

Several things...

Not too dark? They put Gremlins in freaking microwaves in the first one. pretty dark already, if you ask me. There's no way they'd make this an R rated movie, nor would Nolan even be near something like this. Personally, I'd tend to think the worst thing they could do would make it too light. I like the second one and all, but it was just a meta parody of the first one. Could you imagine if this one was a parody of the second one?

But I agree with Slackbot. There's nothing wrong with CGI if they do it right. I'd prefer to see a mix of CGI and puppetry. That is, puppetry for the main Gremlins, CGI for crowd scenes and extras.

And lastly, this seems only slightly likely. For every remake/reboot/delayed sequel they threaten, only about half of them even get made.

mr3urious

Reaction score
As for CGI, why not? It's digital puppetry, and in the right hands it can look really beautiful. Unlike the Muppets, puppetry has never been part of the identity of the mogwai/gremlins. In fact, I think the Gremlins would greatly benefit from a transition to CGI. It would enable them to cut loose in ways that would be very difficult for puppets.
Where the Wild Things Are made beautiful use of full-bodied puppets with digitally-crafted faces, too.

Also, puppets and animatronics work best when their limitations are embraced, as Stephen King put it. Completely showing the creatures often fails (i.e. the mechanical shark in the Jaws sequels, the crab-walking xenomorph scene in Alien that was rightfully deleted, or showing those same xenos climbing ladders or swimming in Alien: Resurrection, though those were CGI to be fair).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd honestly be more concerned with this being a sequel to a movie that hasn't been around for 2 decades. Those rarely turn out well. Though, Tron Legacy made more money than it's bomb of a predecessor. I like ho people complain about a sequel to a movie no one liked in the first place that was only popular for flopping.

I don't see a Gremlins 3 being very good. And if it is good, some schmuck somewhere is going to point out some flaw and then everyone will hate it.